Re: A prediction (about outpost locking)

Jita wrote:
Ville wrote:

if it happens at one terminal it'll happen at the other three.  At this point I have enough alts to be in ALL the stations in game plus gamma.

It's a small population problem. No entity in game has the ability to have a five person fleet in six locations while maintaining a gamma base.

I don't think that's quite accurate. I doubt every entity in the game combined couldn't do that lol

1 person is enough to disrupt operations on an island.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

the problem is still, that there is nothing you can seriously do on any island if you know an enemy is walking around the same island.

even entities that could theoretically field 50 agents at once, will never have a mining operation on beta whithout shutting it off completely. on the one hand, because they are still carebears, on the other hand, because its night impossible to defend said immobile defenseless group against any attacking force, while keeping everyone entertained.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I can't wait to see what the sale and price changes does to population. 200 concurrent players is in nias future I believe.

Gwyndor wrote:

I can't wait to see what the sale and price changes does to population. 200 concurrent players is in nias future I believe.

looks like its around 60 atm, probably mostly vets.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

The hour you wrote this statement had a steampeak of 53 agents, I think it is still safe to ensure, that there are always more player online as steam agents logged in, as majority of agents is not on steam accounts and a lot player have no steam at all

Goffer wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

The hour you wrote this statement had a steampeak of 53 agents, I think it is still safe to ensure, that there are always more player online as steam agents logged in, as majority of agents is not on steam accounts and a lot player have no steam at all

Steam is a good tracker of new players.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

better than 19.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Goffer wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

the hour i wrote that i looked at the official feed and we had exactly 65 Agents online that moment.

Who gives a *** if there was a 12 player difference? Any other game that would sound rediculous but here in perp when average was 15 online I can see why it might matter.

Devs doing a great job bringing in players at a steady rate now. Hopefully 12 isn't a significant number much longer.

So now the political landscape appears changed, Joke has the ability to take whatever station they want (and has held Intitia for a while now) and stations are dropping all over the game this is still just as relevant (arguably more so).

Its time to at least see if changing the station locking mechanics would be beneficial to an increased population. Either Beta 1 or Beta 2, whichever, just switch them to unlockable and lets try it out for a few months.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

DEV Zoom wrote:

I can see the benefits for opening up, but I can also remember why it was put in in the first place and how well it was received back then. Sure, things have changed, but I don't think we'll ever come to a consensus about this.

So to me, the best course of action seems to be the proposed idea of opening up beta1 outposts but leave beta2s as they are. That way everyone can choose their preference, maybe we'll see some ownership changes, but most importantly we'll see whether it makes any difference or not.

^^^ do this!

Jita wrote:

So now the political landscape appears changed, Joke has the ability to take whatever station they want (and has held Intitia for a while now) and stations are dropping all over the game this is still just as relevant (arguably more so).

Its time to at least see if changing the station locking mechanics would be beneficial to an increased population. Either Beta 1 or Beta 2, whichever, just switch them to unlockable and lets try it out for a few months.

so... how open are the joke outposts at this moment ? wink

There's open stations all over Eve and no one bats an eye, if you complain about getting camped, they would say to defend your space properly. Ofc, there should be room for closed stations too.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

... Ofc, there should be room for closed stations too.

its called "gamma island" wink

341 (edited by Celebro 2016-01-06 17:34:09)

Annihilator wrote:
Celebro wrote:

... Ofc, there should be room for closed stations too.

its called "gamma island" wink

Go play Eve; there are open stations in both low sec and null, if you assume low sec=beta null=Gamma, but that would be a very simplistic analogy. As a matter of fact all stations are open in low sec.

RIP PERPETUUM

I still don't see how open stations would benefit anyone but the gate/station game player.  I still think you want to just play station dock/undock games and gank new, unlucky or inattentive players.
I still don't see the demand for it, I have sat in TMB, ABT and I don't see new players (or anyone much) running around there.

Altera wrote:

I still don't see how open stations would benefit anyone but the gate/station game player.  I still think you want to just play station dock/undock games and gank new, unlucky or inattentive players.
I still don't see the demand for it, I have sat in TMB, ABT and I don't see new players (or anyone much) running around there.

new and vet player avoid beta islands for the same reason - while the rewards on beta are much higher, the risk of losing everthing you did over there to a single demob fitted assault bot, outweights the benefits.

or why would a veteran miner ever place a scarab on alpha to mine liquizit...

Annihilator wrote:
Jita wrote:

If they are locked Beast is getting a mexican slap

Altera wrote:

You cant effectively live out of a beta terminal because its too easy to scout and you just get ganked. This problem would exist in any open terminal, your right. The balance to that is you would have to do it to 4 terminals on three beta islands. The best you could do is target an individual station or two.

The advantages on the other hand are:

Beta industry is possible for smaller / underpowered corps. Without the risk of station locking you can move CT’s and your mineral stocks

Under siege corps can pick their fights (more vulnerable to gank / less vulnerable to eviction)

You don’t need to either bend the knee or join the winning coalition to have a station – you just need to be able to control the territory. This encourages emergent gameplay, the breaking of coalitions and multi faction warfare

Visitors have a place to dock and operate from without the need to ‘own’ somewhere

There is a clear progression of ownership – Beta 2 becomes important if corps want station locking

All stations become important – the need to defend and then lock causes a lot of empty stations that nobody uses – and sometimes whole empty islands

Full ownership is no longer possible – the best you can hope for is to control the territory.

Jita wrote:
Altera wrote:

You cant effectively live out of a beta terminal because its too easy to scout and you just get ganked. This problem would exist in any open terminal, your right. The balance to that is you would have to do it to 4 terminals on three beta islands. The best you could do is target an individual station or two.

Beta industry is possible for smaller / underpowered corps. Without the risk of station locking you can move CT’s and your mineral stocks

Under siege corps can pick their fights (more vulnerable to gank / less vulnerable to eviction)

You don’t need to either bend the knee or join the winning coalition to have a station – you just need to be able to control the territory. This encourages emergent gameplay, the breaking of coalitions and multi faction warfare

Visitors have a place to dock and operate from without the need to ‘own’ somewhere

There is a clear progression of ownership – Beta 2 becomes important if corps want station locking

All stations become important – the need to defend and then lock causes a lot of empty stations that nobody uses – and sometimes whole empty islands

Full ownership is no longer possible – the best you can hope for is to control the territory.

++

Just do it.

Jita wrote:

This would require removing the bonus a station can get from the owning corp.  If not, an owning corp could just remove the bonus and any producers would be left high and dry. So you would need to remove even more content

Jita wrote:

If a corp is under siege, this will just make it easier for them to get camped.  this makes no sense in what you are trying to say

Jita wrote:

You live for the moment don't you.  You just want instant gratification without having to work for station ownership.  Control the territory just means irregular blob sessions.  That's not how you grow a game, that is how you get spotty content which wil rive players away

Jita wrote:

Just like the current unused open beta terminals?? TMB, ICB,ABT. this has been proven wrong already.

Jita wrote:

Your argument is to reduce the number of terminals by unlocking beta1s.  This doesn't make sense, it will just cause less people to care about beta ownership. 

-1 this horrible idea. (still)

I am mostly indifferent to idea of station locking/unlocking, however I would like to see one change in the current mechanics, don't allow probes to be placed within 1000(500?)m of open beta terminals. If anything is going to dissuade new players from using them it's this.

The current mechanic of being allowed to place a probe directly under public beta terminals is ridiculous.

Jita wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Jita wrote:

If they are locked Beast is getting a mexican slap

Still locked to NSE. This proves how you wanted to just have the terminals unlocked because you didn't have access to them. Once the wind blows, you apparently forget whatever you were talking about a couple months ago

proof: http://prntscr.com/9n363g

What I did and what Jita wants are two different things I'll have you know.

Reading this signature fills you with determination.