Topic: Storage Tax- reviving the market

Ok, I know for those who have vast amounts of assets gathering dust might not be happy about this change, the market would surely improve and the gap between new and old players would be reduced.

Proposal:

NPCs take a small fee in NIC value per month per U stored. A cap of around the first 1000U would be free of tax globally on all terminals.

Storage tax would apply to all Terminals including field terminals, but not gamma (player made terminals)

This would need to include Corporation storage if not there is no point really.

Improvement to the game:

Having items gathering dust will not be good investment, players will start pulling out to the market to make liquidity, and mitigate huge tax bills.

Having large stocks on the open market will make stuff cheaper, helping those starting out, and improving NIC value.

Deciding what is worth storing, what is worth selling or not make for more in depth game play. Including making the decisions of keeping it on gamma, who knows.

If I dare give a price per month I would say around 1000NIC/unit/month.

What would you guys think?

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Storage Tax- reviving the market

So what you're saying is that I have to put things up on the market for astronomical costs just to "store" them to bypass tax? And cancel orders as I need to free up things?

Whats the point?

Naismith wrote:

So what you're saying is that I have to put things up on the market for astronomical costs just to "store" them to bypass tax? And cancel orders as I need to free up things?

Whats the point?

Handling large stocks I would think it would be a good idea to sell and keep the NIC. But if you are thinking of tax invading by placing market sell orders at a high cost so no one will buy, will need to do the math, as there are market tax costs already in place.

RIP PERPETUUM

Which is the point.  To tax them more....

Stupid...

I am Perpetuum.

Perpetuum wrote:

Which is the point.  To tax them more....

Stupid...

No, this is not about the tax, which also comes in handy as a NIC sink. More to do with giving NIC more value, as 'stock' is kept as NIC instead of item/bots. This will make more players/corps dependent on the market , stimulating the market at the same time.

RIP PERPETUUM

6 (edited by Annihilator 2015-06-28 23:22:21)

since  NIC is worthless to begin with, and i dont reach that volume of storage
+1 big_smile

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I agree but make it exponential.

Solving the market problem will take a bit more imagination

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Too easy to get around. Not worth precious dev time.

Aye Pod wrote:

Too easy to get around. Not worth precious dev time.

Tend to agree with this tbh.. Not so much the "easy to get around" part but certainly the Dev time part. There are much more important things the Devs could be investing their time into, like better corp/alliance features for one.

Also part of the market problem atm is low population, not the whole problem but certainly a contributor.

My 2 cents..

10 (edited by Aye Pod 2015-06-29 04:52:21)

Bank alts and holding corps would be the end effect of this storage tax, not an increase in market activity.

EDIT: Market is dead because its too easy not to lose things in this game.

Aye Pod wrote:

I agree with this but part of that is because people have a lot of stocks instead of living hand to mouth. If people had low storage space they would need to be more of a pvp / pve / pvp / pve cycle which (if you balance it right) should lead to more people getting exposed on beta / gamma and more opportunities for fights.

I don't know if this specifically is the solution but I do think unlimited storage is a bad idea.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

12 (edited by Aye Pod 2015-06-29 15:10:23)

Jita wrote:
Aye Pod wrote:

I agree with this but part of that is because people have a lot of stocks instead of living hand to mouth. If people had low storage space they would need to be more of a pvp / pve / pvp / pve cycle which (if you balance it right) should lead to more people getting exposed on beta / gamma and more opportunities for fights.

I don't know if this specifically is the solution but I do think unlimited storage is a bad idea.

Personally, having a limited storage space or a tax isnt going to make me pvp. Its going to either force me to spend most of my time farming nic, which is probably harder now due to no static spawns, to pay the tax or it will make me mine/harvest whatever makes me the most nic/hr as I would have to sell everything as I get it. Either way this change would only limit my game play even further than what it is now.

Aye Pod wrote:
Jita wrote:
Aye Pod wrote:

Personally, having a limited storage space or a tax isnt going to make me pvp. Its going to either force me to spend most of my time farming nic, which is probably harder now due to no static spawns, to pay the tax or it will make me mine/harvest whatever makes me the most nic/hr as I would have to sell everything as I get it. Either way this change would only limit my game play even further than what it is now.

I guess it's about taking more of an archage view of storage with full loot. There would need to be a good amount of higher tier stuff to spend your liquidity on but the market would be a necessity. Yiour right it won't make you PvP but it would prevent the massive stockpile issue and so lower the barrier to entry for new groups and players.

Aye Pod wrote:
Jita wrote:
Aye Pod wrote:

You have just described some of the ways to minimize storage tax, and one of them is by using the market to get more NIC, which is the point of these suggested changes. I doubt this would force anyone to PVP more but that is besides the point.

Get more players to get rid of stocks, and flooding the market with goods, get that extra NIC and use the open market to buy only the stuff essentially needed.

RIP PERPETUUM

+1

Gotta remove the internal corp market for this to work.

Jasdemi wrote:

+1

Gotta remove the internal corp market for this to work.

actually not.
Items on the market are still "somewhere", so it would only be realistic if they still count towards storage limits, especially if corp-internal market only.

Aye Pod wrote:

Bank alts and holding corps would be the end effect of this storage tax, not an increase in market activity.

given the limit, you would have 1 alt per 100  heavy mechs, or every 20M stack of raw ore.
good luck with that.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Yet again another topic pushing self sustaining individuals into being forced into group play.

Please stop forcing your play style on others.

This is a Pvp focused game.  The Pvp part depends on equipment.  Amount of equipment is always reliabile if it's on hand.  Not if I have to spend time making it or fitting it!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Yet again another topic pushing self sustaining individuals into being forced into group play.

This is a Pvp focused game.  The Pvp part depends on equipment.  Amount of equipment is always reliabile if it's on hand.  Not if I have to spend time making it or fitting it!

a thousand U is plenty! Jesus with the amount of pvp in game currently you'd be good for a year on that.

19 (edited by Celebro 2015-06-29 18:14:33)

Ville wrote:

I am not forcing any play style you can still do what you want. Self-sustaining players, the ones that want to do it all, have killed the market. You can have everything on hand to buy on the market. There is still a choice on how much you are willing to pay for storage and have your fitted bots handy.

RIP PERPETUUM

Ville wrote:

This was a Pvp focused game.

fixed that for you. the PvP focus was dropped years ago.

Celebro wrote:

I am not forcing any play style you can still do what you want. Self-sustaining players, the ones that want to do it all, have killed the market. You can have everything on hand to buy on the market. There is still a choice on how much you are willing to pay for storage and have your fitted bots handy.

Youre delusional if you think that by limiting storage is going to translate into items on the market. All you will see is every buy order for a given material filled and then everyone will sell to the NPC buy order. NO ONE is going to manufacture items only to be forced to sell them or pay some silly tax.

This change will limit game play and encourage inactivity. Nothing more. No way to spin it. We need more content. Not punishment for those enjoying what little content exists.

Annihilator wrote:
Aye Pod wrote:

given the limit, you would have 1 alt per 100  heavy mechs, or every 20M stack of raw ore.
good luck with that.

I have 7 accts. Doesnt matter really as I can create one bank corp and hold everything in corp storage.

I think the intent is to stop the Perputumm hording. 

+1 to some form of tax mechanism for horders.

Celebro wrote:

Ok, I know for those who have vast amounts of assets gathering dust might not be happy about this change, the market would surely improve and the gap between new and old players would be reduced.

Proposal:

NPCs take a small fee in NIC value per month per U stored. A cap of around the first 1000U would be free of tax globally on all terminals.

Storage tax would apply to all Terminals including field terminals, but not gamma (player made terminals)

Improvement to the game:

Having items gathering dust will not be good investment, players will start pulling out to the market to make liquidity, and mitigate huge tax bills.

Having large stocks on the open market will make stuff cheaper, helping those starting out, and improving NIC value.

Deciding what is worth storing, what is worth selling or not make for more in depth game play. Including making the decisions of keeping it on gamma, who knows.

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard

SunnyJester wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Proposal:

Improvement to the game:

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard

To complex for you to understand I guess.

RIP PERPETUUM