Topic: Ore field regeneration

Back and puttering around after a long hiatus.  Question regarding ore fields.  Is it still the case, as when I left, that a Directional Geoscan will show the nearest field of that stuff-- even if it has already been mined down to 0.5% of one lime green block hidden in a bush behind a rock?  (In the back, in the dark...)

If so-- ouch-- then how long before a field regenerates or, more precisely, before that one useless block evaporates and the field is re-established, possibly in another spot entirely on the island?

Surely the scan-ruining spot will not remain indefinitely?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Ore field regeneration

It shouldn't be that case anymore afaik.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

1)They regenerate block by block - so if you mine one tile of titan field, there is going to be another titan field that grows by one tile.

2) the fields despawn if untouched after a week i believe

3) you can set the color of all tiles on your geoscanner to red, so its really easy to see

4 (edited by Celebro 2015-06-23 21:46:46)

There is an island ore threshold limit that determines when a new field will respawn. It has nothing to do when you deplete a field, for the system there is no such thing as 'Ore Fields.

I know that the issue of scanning down a few tiles worth of minerals might have been resolved recently but as far as I am concerned it always worked that way, you need to deplete a field so it does not show on directional scan though it does not imply a new field is regenerated.

RIP PERPETUUM

5 (edited by Annihilator 2015-06-23 21:59:17)

Illiathos wrote:

1)They regenerate block by block - so if you mine one tile of titan field, there is going to be another titan field that grows by one tile.

that sounds like a fairy tale...

Celebro wrote:

There is an island ore threshold limit that determines when a new field will respawn. It has nothing to do when you deplete a field, for the system there is no such thing as 'Ore Fields.

and this sounds like an outdated information

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Fields don't generate block by block, they spawn as a whole when the global amount on the island gets below the set mineral threshold.

Fields despawn after a week if not touched. The timer resets if someone mines from it.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Fields don't generate block by block, they spawn as a whole when the global amount on the island gets below the set mineral threshold.

...which must be so low, that it looks to the player as if the fields are respawning in an instant.

OR, the Ore is mined down to the threshold, then a SINGLE new field spawns. which means once the next field is depleted, again, a new one will spawn.

zoom - please confirm/deny

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Thank you for the reply, Zoom, and thank you all for your responses and ideas.

If it's a Global amount, then in theory it would be possible to have multiple, scattered, fragmented fields that are deemed "not worth mining until they reset".  But then if one single person mines one single tile from the "worthless" field, it resets the timer and they don't despawn.  Ouch, still, I guess.  wink

It's not a bother so much for me, but I am seeing if my wife gets interested in the game, and it would be too bad if she has to waste stacks of Directional Scan stuff looking for something worth mining in a depressed economy.  Since I can always buy the charges for her, it's not a biggie, but I'd imagine that it could be frustrating for totally new players-- who, of course, we'd hope would be attracted to the game.

new player are most likely mining for missions, not market - simply because its more rewarding. For those missions, you only need a few cycles, so it won't matter how fragmented the fields are.

also, independant from the field-removing algorithm, i wonder if the defrag-algorithm is still running too (that kills tiles below a certain threshold)

Good point regarding the missions.  I suppose I am taking a "long view" and am still overly optimistic. wink

for me, a lvl2 harvest mission generates 18 NIC / piece harvested. market gives me <2 NIC.

given that newer player have lower cycletimes/amount per cycle, i don't see anyone seriously harvesting into a fieldcan for the market, even with the travel times between field terminal and plant-groups, unless the market prices raise.

Annihilator wrote:

for me, a lvl2 harvest mission generates 18 NIC / piece harvested. market gives me <2 NIC.

given that newer player have lower cycletimes/amount per cycle, i don't see anyone seriously harvesting into a fieldcan for the market, even with the travel times between field terminal and plant-groups, unless the market prices raise.

All stuff mined for missions should go on the mark t as an npc well order

Tonnik wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

All stuff mined for missions should go on the mark t as an npc well order

i would even go a bit further with the background simulation.
stuff like all the minerals dropped into feld terminals should generate a transport mission with larger volumes from those  to NPC terminals with facilites, and so on.

but somehow, that would bust the capacity of the current DEV Team 100 fold.

Annihilator wrote:

You lose time as well by moving back and forth with accepting missions. So that lowers the "pieces" harvested in your upper ratios for missions.

if you compare moving time between known harvest/mineral locations, and field terminals, and the collection time with lower extensions/equip tier.

then moving around with 120+ kph does not cover those 900% profit margin (not to forget the extra tokens)

DEV Zoom wrote:

The timer resets if someone mines from it.

FALSE !!.

Keep it simple, stupid.