Topic: Opening up Beta

Now that we have Gamma Islands, is there a need to have player owned stations in Beta?

After taking to some of the players that have left the game, I'm getting a unified answer as to why they felt there game time had ended.

They felt trapped in Alpha.

Make all the current beta stations just NPC stations, and open them up.

Show player bases in Gamma to clearly display territory and let the big corps get stuck into Gamma.

All players can dock, and open up the possibility of new players getting into ninja mining, high end mission running.

Give new players the feeling of space, dont box them in.

Star Fox

Re: Opening up Beta

Interesting concept.  But the main problem I see is the main pvp is centered around saps on Beta.  Could tripple the sap loot and take away ownership mechanics.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

At first I thought this removes content and opens up the game world, not a bad idea. Thinking about it, will players get fed up of sharing stations? With all the sparking around and open betas this will make beta even more dangerous for mining and missions. I would open up beta 2 and let see how it goes.

RIP PERPETUUM

The only players who are trapped on Alpha are players who do not want to PvP.  Opening up Beta stations and showing gamma bases will not change that fact one bit.

Proof:
1. The faction (beta 1) terminals are open to all and they are never used either. 
2. Epi market is in the tank, ppl aren't ninja mining, they are strip mining the hell outta beta.

Beta needs to be fixed with Risk-v-Reward as tons of previous posts have stated.

Most PvP is centered around owning and controlling the SAPs (not really terminals, that's just a side bonus).  If you open terminals, you will get less PvP and more station games.

I'd like to have some new beta islands that are all npc stations, that'd be fun.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

I'd like to have some new beta islands that are all npc stations, that'd be fun.

Double the number of betas, triple the number of gammas and halve the number of spark teleports.. Now that would be fun..  smile

We did.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … x-and-you/

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I take it we are still in Phase One ? big_smile

Makes you wonder what dark plan "Phase Two" is yarr

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

It's the ownership of the beta islands that forces players to stay on Alpha, not everyone wants to join a corp that already owns a beta island just so they can progress past Alpha.

When a new player moves on from alpha islands they look on the map and if they are interested in starting a new corp or just want to try there hand at pvp all they see is territory owned by powerful corps.

This is having a massive negative effect of players.

Let the powerful corps own Gamma and let everyone else have a fun in beta.

10 (edited by Nooodlzs 2015-06-04 13:46:38)

Unlocking stations will make it MORE dangerous for risk averse players, at least now they know where the players that they want to avoid actually have their PvP assets.

Actually scr*w that, even if you gave those same risk averse players free bots and no consequence PvP, they STILL would not venture to beta or gamma.

Reduce rewards on Alpha, increase rewards for beta then maybe you would see more people venturing to beta.

Just look at the mission system ( yes I know it is being overhauled but by that time probably 6 months will have passed) it is about 400% more profitable to do level 5s on Alpha than it is on Beta.

11 (edited by JonasML 2015-06-04 17:01:59)

This whole post is a load of crap, let me tell you why...

If people leave because they feel trapped on alpha, well let's look at why.

(opens map)

oh look, one group holding 5 beta stations.

gee maybe that's part of it.  I love syndic's post... http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … x-and-you/  same problem, different group

Once again, they complain because mechanics that have existed for years can't be manipulated the way they want. Why does that sound familiar, something about green bots, hmmm....

People have choices, it's what a sandbox is.  You get together people, and take ***.  If you're a small corp, you group up with other corps, and work together.  If you're an antisocial ***, well then stay on alpha.

I will agree there needs to be some changes.  I view betas as someplace corps should go to build up, and gamma as the endgame, which is where bigger established corps and alliances should be hanging out.  Unfortunately when the devs nerfed the gamma stations (which was good) they also nerfed gamma epi (which was bad) so gamma corps need to hold betas too in order to support the massive amounts of epi they need to function, not just travel through them.  Sucks, but it's reality.  That said,

NO CORP SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE MORE THAN 1 BETA STATION.  PERIOD.

I'm not sure how more islands will make it any better, the server population doesn't warrant it.

As for the comment about the epi market... are you trying to tell me that NSE only mines epi ninja style?  You sir are full of it.  Just because you're not the only ones running ops anymore the rest of us are supposed to get *** on? 

And this is why I don't read the forums.

12 (edited by Annihilator 2015-06-04 18:04:33)

its a game made with mechanics for 10k player, while it cannot maintain 1k at any point.
And again, the risk vs. reward discussion...

JonasML wrote:

NO CORP SHOULD BE ABLE TO HAVE MORE THAN 1 BETA STATION.  PERIOD.

disagree - a corp should be able to have as many beta stations they can hold, period.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

13 (edited by Altera 2015-06-04 18:10:15)

JonasML wrote:

....lots of words....

so much hate.  I thought you OTHERS were mellow dudes.

point 1. Almost everyone on this post agrees with the point that opening beta stations will not get some ppl to beta. period, ever, done.  Thanks for agreeing with that point then going on to talk smack.
point 2. Yes, a group of players who are organized, committed to the effort and have the desire can pretty much take over all the betas.  I am not sorry that we are currently the group with those 3 qualities and you are not.  Maybe if the BH alliance stop being butt hurt so often and formed a plan on anything and then executed on it, you might be the powerhouse.
point 4. I think the only guy complaining about this is some new CONS dude, so I am not sure he has years of history on mechanics and manipulation.
point 5. We all agree the true issue is risk v reward for A, B, G islands.  and it is a much larger issue then this topic
point 6. making a limit on how many stations 1 corp can own would do zero.  (you guys need to think out things before you put them into written word).  All that would do is create a ton of alt corps and you unorganized guys would still be S.O.L.
point 7. more islands.  I guess that would make it so unorganized and lazy players could get a free station without needing to work for it.  I agree more islands just makes the work for those of us willing to do it harder.  Maybe you could win then, but this is generally a bad idea and doesn't help the game
point 8. I never said NSE ninja mines (we *** epi fields tbh).  I don't think anyone is ninja mining at this time.  Ppl are free to go to all of these dead islands and mine till it comes out their ears.  opening or closing terminals isn't really effecting the dead island issue.

Ville wrote:

Interesting concept.  But the main problem I see is the main pvp is centered around saps on Beta.  Could tripple the sap loot and take away ownership mechanics.

/signed

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

15 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2015-06-04 23:24:21)

Remember back when this game was way more active & how corps cried out to be able to lock their owned stations because of enemy pvpers screwing sh*t up every moment of every day?

Personally I prefer all NPC stations. But you have to laugh at how we have come back in a complete circle lol

Take your rage post to CD mate

Back on topic....

Not to derail but, let me pose this question. Why Have BETA islands at all??  The BEta / Alpha Balance has always been hard to get & now with Gamma the game has never gotten the balance right.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

We could start talking about the PvP-free gamma islands again.    Unlock the base building content for the people who are not PvPers.

Kayin Prime wrote:

We could start talking about the PvP-free gamma islands again.    Unlock the base building content for the people who are not PvPers.

Its only a matter of time before that happens

18 (edited by Aye Pod 2015-06-05 06:35:11)

Kayin Prime wrote:

Problem with that is in order to get back to the safety of alpha you'd need to (most likely) pass through pvp-open beta, thus you wouldnt be getting those truly committed to avoiding pvp to come out and play.

EDIT: Maybe devs should think about adding some other mechanic that is not-pvp related factor into base ownership I.E. donating X amt if said minerals, components, fragments etc etc that can be done at anytime to increase base stability. ***, make it only available at NPC stations and the leading corp who has donated the most be the only corp to be able to hold stations on that island. This may bring interest in those who dont pvp to holding beta.

I think more events in Beta to encourage PvP would be more valuable than changing station mechanics. How about a PvPvE mechanic where a force is needed to take down a world boss mob in Beta with some sick loots (like t4+ stuffs, tokens, pvp ammo etc).  The squad that does the most damage gets the loot, however PvP ganking can happen during this encounter....

The day Zoom stops catering to botters crying "exploit" at anything that generates better income then alpha-botting, is the day we can discuss actual mechanics.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

I'll just leave it here: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ave-to-go/

SunnyJester wrote:

I think more events in Beta to encourage PvP would be more valuable than changing station mechanics. How about a PvPvE mechanic where a force is needed to take down a world boss mob in Beta with some sick loots (like t4+ stuffs, tokens, pvp ammo etc).  The squad that does the most damage gets the loot, however PvP ganking can happen during this encounter....

I thought this was already implemented.  Its called roaming red NPCs big_smile

23 (edited by Burial 2015-06-06 00:13:38)

SunnyJester wrote:

This continuous trainwreck here only had some real population when Betas were a thing with people living there 24/7. Artificial ways like events won't give better results than increasing Beta rewards and dragging people back there.