Topic: Gamma QoL: Creeping Concrete

the current concrete is a pain to lay down, and is of no use since it is degrading and can be destroyed by aoe...
so i guess nobody realy uses it at all.

but it would be weclome because most ppl dont like plants growing all over their bases.

a usefull solution can be "creeping concrete". just like the good old zerg creep in starcraft...
basicly you will have a option in every building of your corporation management. there you can set concrete to "on" and set it to a radius of your choice (of cource with a limit).
then the base will put (or creep) out concrete in that radius. hard, kills all plants, and indestructable as long as this option is on and the building is still standing.

it could also be used as a terraforming protection system.

Re: Gamma QoL: Creeping Concrete

Don't people have Nora farms near bases?  Saw some older videos and screenies of Nora farms.  How would this effect this?  Deployable structures like walls protect em?

-Ensi

WTB a Lawnmower Come the F on Zoom, flamethrower, acid, *** i'll salt the dirt if you'll make it.  Anything to keep this *** from growing all over the *** place.  A solution could be to make plants have a negative resistance to chemical and make Chemical Bombs viable and not just paper weights. I think we can all agree that plants patch they did a while ago didn't do damn thing.

4 (edited by Annihilator 2015-05-05 06:41:00)

should have been from the beginning of gamma.
They already did a similar effect for the map display of a base. The concrete creep could cover the same "blob" area that is displayed on map.

since nora is an artifical nano-bot "plant" it could grow on concrete around the nora-tumor seeds

tbh, the other harvestable plants should get their "grow conditions" altered anyway. (like having a prefered slope and terrain height and condition).

hell, the devs could even use this to make robots walking across the ground affecting the fertility of it, and let "compressed, often traversed ground" grow "trample path tiles" with a 5 kph speed boost for robots and +1 priority weight for the pathfiniding algorithm.

but all that is a matter of how much time the DEVs want to dedicate to it, and how well they can optimize the terrain update server2client bandwidth.

edit:
btw, im 100% for making "chemical damage" be something good against plants, but in exchange beeing less effective against robots.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

hell, the devs could even use this to make robots walking across the ground affecting the fertility of it, and let "compressed, often traversed ground" grow "trample path tiles" with a 5 kph speed boost for robots and +1 priority weight for the pathfiniding algorithm.

I find that a really cool idea, having natural paths that can speed up bots and make plants grow less often through those areas.

RIP PERPETUUM

that idea floats around since... well, CRM made that traversing picture there after something i had asked him in really early beta.. just month later.
He also liked the trample path idea, and i was told it was still on the todo list when the game already was live for a year.

IMHO with all the code regarding minerals (switch from 8bit to 64bit), terraforming (realtime hightmap modification, automatic regeneration of original topography), and plant-layer beeing able to apply buffs (highway effect), server side movement correction and at least a rudimentary implementation of pathfinding ->

i see no reason why they could not merge in a 64bit layer that stores where a robot was passing over and have it "weight" the grow of "plants". AFAIK there is already a static (?) layer for plant fertility on every island.

the only thing that really needs a huge overhaul, is the way terrain data is sent to each player client - and that eventually with the intention to switch from "terrain update chunks" to "terrain data streaming" (i just don't want to imagine how big the layers.gbf will grow in a future with 100 islands...)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

(i just don't want to imagine how big the layers.gbf will grow in a future with 100 islands...)

Will every player get his own 5 personal islands?