Topic: Servers moved (again) - 2015-04-10

So during today's maintenance downtime we have also moved the Perpetuum servers to a new location and provider.

This time no fanfares, no big words, we don't want to jinx it.

We really hope this one works out better than the previous one.

Feel free to tell us how your connection is now.

Re: Servers moved (again) - 2015-04-10

Oh Great, where are the servers now, another country perhaps?

RIP PERPETUUM

Same country, but in Rotterdam.

Rotterdam sounds nice.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

you moved it to a pc in one of the devs houses again big_smile

oh dear.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

6 (edited by Sasaki 2015-04-11 19:35:49)

Today I'm having login issues.

Bringing up the server status\login screen is approx. 30 sec. Login, select profile, and stalls at 25% loading bar.

This website is also performing poorly for me.

I did a speed test and am running optimal 25/5 and connecting from west coast North America.

I'm suspecting new colo issue. Thoughts?

Sasaki, and everybody who has bad connection to Perpetuum: sorry to hear that...

We are working together with the ISP's network administrators to mitigate/fix issues like yours by submitting traceroute results.
Is it still an existing issue?
What is the transfer speed when you download this?
http://93.190.137.8/1000mb.bin
Where are you on planet Earth?

NOTE:This is a temporal workaround until the next client patch.

When you got logged in - you are on the character select screen - bring the console down with the ` key and type openprofiler + enter. This brings up the profiler window. On the traceroute tab press the trace button. Wait until the it writes: Statistics sent. *** All done!. That's all you have to do, the rest is happening on server side. We collect the traceroute reports and forward the ciritcal ones to further examination to our ISP. They are then able to configure the routing and hopefully you'll get better connectivity. 

NEXT PATCH:
We'll re-enable the autotracerouting in the client as soon as possible, by then the complete tracerouting is a background process in the client. No user interaction is required. When this system kicks in we will be able to see the global routing and point out the chokepoints. The good part is that the guys at the ISP liked the idea very much and eagerly waiting for the first reports.

DEV CRM you are the best. Thank you for keeping us up to date and being thorough in your request.

Looking forward to the results of all the connection issues you have been going over.

Sasaki, i got your trace route reports, thanks, I also forwarded them to the tech guys. Lets see! 10k/s is unacceptable.
One more question: did you have issues before we moved the server on Friday?

No issues beforehand and was actively online 16 hours ago without issue.

11 (edited by Sasaki 2015-04-12 01:20:39)

All good now!

The test file download is performing at 1.48mb\sec.
My in-game lag is back to the regular 215ms.
Login performance is back to normal.

Thanks very much at looking into and resolving my issue!

12 (edited by Jasdemi 2015-04-12 12:50:34)

Here is 10 minutes of Pingplotter from Germany:
http://i.imgur.com/4xnTXX4.png

ISP: KabelBW

30-40% packet loss to 4.68.62.237. No lag in game whatsoever. Steady 35ms at all times.

Download speed from that 1GB file is 3-5MB/s.

Sadly I experienced some LAG I didnt before, at Norhoop and Hokkogaros, that not so good sign to me :S

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I also got lag spikes here and there on norhoop today but it was never longer that a min to a min and a half

Same. Most of us experienced them abou about the same time. I should have recorded the time to be less vague but it didn't last to long

16 (edited by Race Drones 2015-04-13 17:34:43)

Inda wrote:

Sadly I experienced some LAG I didnt before, ..., that not so good sign to me.

^^ +1

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

seems better then before . my average ping was 250+ . its about 100 now with some random spikes which do jump to 2000 ms for a bout a min or so then it resolves itself

Gwyndor wrote:

Same. Most of us experienced them abou about the same time. I should have recorded the time to be less vague but it didn't last to long

sorry, i was shooting plants on gamma at that time fuuu

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I got some chat lag yesterday. Thats it.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

We had a hotfix today which enables the manual traceroutes in the client check in both directions, not just from you to the server. Both are needed to get a clear picture, so if you still have connectivity problems, please do another traceroute as explained above. (The client won't show the results of the reverse direction trace.)

DEV Crm wrote:

When you got logged in - you are on the character select screen - bring the console down with the ` key and type openprofiler + enter. This brings up the profiler window. On the traceroute tab press the trace button. Wait until the it writes: Statistics sent. *** All done!. That's all you have to do, the rest is happening on server side. We collect the traceroute reports and forward the ciritcal ones to further examination to our ISP. They are then able to configure the routing and hopefully you'll get better connectivity.

So I have a higher ping (200 to 250 avg in Canada) to the latest location but it seemed to have fixed the station undocking lag and the client seems to be more responsive.  Bravo guys, good work here!

This is the most encouraging thing I've read on these forums in ages.

+100 awesome points to you guys.

Just had a small fight, 2 of us and 3 enemies on Kent. Both Ryni and I lost our bots due to lag. Everything was still playable until a roaming spawn turned up then lag went to N/A.

Have to say that my ping latency increased up to ~160-170 ms. But anyway everything works fine (at least on hershfield). Even more several times NPC's shot plants instead of me when i tried to hide behind it. So i can say that perfomance is good.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Hunter wrote:

Have to say that my ping latency increased up to ~160-170 ms. But anyway everything works fine (at least on hershfield). Even more several times NPC's shot plants instead of me when i tried to hide behind it. So i can say that perfomance is good.

If you have a ping of under 250ms the game plays fine and you don't notice anything, that's why people generally in the northern hemisphere don't understand what we are talking about.. Above that and especially with our normal ping in AU and NZ of 450ms, shooting plants increases the amount of traffic needed to be sent to all players on grid enormously, thus causing lag to make the game unplayable.

Remember this only became an issue for us here in AU and NZ after the patch to plant mechanics, where the plants were able to be targeted directly and HP was increased. Before that lag was seldom seen by us here..