Topic: Reality check - Features & Balance

Can the features and ideas and balance sections be removed? There’s been years of good ideas there and really you guys are not in a position to implement any of it. I think it could be redone to make communication better with the few players left as well as make us feel like we have a stake in decisions. Right now it’s just noise that even if you wanted to implement you would struggle too.

What I suggest is instead having three sections with whatever headings make sense to you that concern the next 60 days of development, the next six months and the next twelve months. You would make these sections unable to be posted in and they would contain posts with a brief outline of areas you are working on. We would then be able to post feedback, ideas and wishes in relation to that feature. As it progresses down the pipeline the post moves from the year to six months to near future and then finally to the test server section. By that time it’s got a good amount of detail in the post, people know exactly what’s coming and we have something real to test. Expectations have already been set so your playerbase doesn’t get annoyed or surprised. Communication has been consistent and so your playerbase feels connected. People from outside the game can get an idea of what’s coming and so can see the games overall vision making it more attractive to play. It also gives you a reason to keep logging in as your aware of X change around the corner.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Re: Reality check - Features & Balance

1st part NO

2nd part YES

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

2nd part sounds like Feature Tracking : http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … tion-list/
(Called issue tracker in the case of bugs)

Jita is right, in its current form, gaining any real metrics on what features are truly desired by a community (and not just a vocal minority) by looking at forum posts is probably doomed to fail.  I know in my case I regularly blather nonsense and do zero research on a topic.

Also, Devs: it is your game, your design, you know what parts of your code are easier to deal with, what features (if implemented in the right way) could be radically simplified in terms of workload and complexity. 
So you tell us what you have on the table, short-term, long-term, how much work is done on each, and a voting system to see how each feature affects the community. 

I will say the feature discussion forum is still needed, maybe not for Devs to look at and gain any real meaning from, but for players to incubate and evolve each others ideas.  How that idea then interfaces with the Dev's plan... I don't know, CSM summit, monthly dev-blog response on parallel community blog, letter-to-the-editor?

Either way dev-community communication is important, and this thread points to that issue:
We don't hear enough from you, the developers!

logicalNegation wrote:

We don't hear enough from you, the developers!

However the last month we do better than before! So I see improvements there, but still would be nice to know a bit more.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

5 (edited by Jita 2015-03-19 14:32:37)

logicalNegation wrote:

I will say the feature discussion forum is still needed, maybe not for Devs to look at and gain any real meaning from, but for players to incubate and evolve each others ideas.  How that idea then interfaces with the Dev's plan... I don't know, CSM summit, monthly dev-blog response on parallel community blog, letter-to-the-editor?

I would like an upvote / downvote ability perhaps, this way it would sort the good ideas from the bad from a community perspective

Perhaps link the ability to vote based upon if your on a boosted account. Cuts down the a hole factor.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

logicalNegation wrote:

Also, Devs: it is your game, your design, you know what parts of your code are easier to deal with, what features (if implemented in the right way) could be radically simplified in terms of workload and complexity.

I doubt, i doubt, i doubt, i doubt.

Ignorance is curable, Stupidity is not.
The "Planet of the Apes" is not science fiction, is a daily reality.
All is in "The Matrix".
See Beyond the Obvious.

I would like to see some of the things Jita has posted done.
BUT i doubt that even if the DEVs changed the forums format, it wont change what is really done by them.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Do a frigging kickstart campaign

9 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2015-03-20 01:47:04)

KokoTurtle wrote:

on  a game that has been launched for 5 years & in development for ... what 5 or more years before it was launched???

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Dear ***

Could this be any more condescending?

I know the reality and so do they. 

One hand you punch em in the ***, the other you try to coddle there balls.

Yea that will make em listen to ya.  YA stick it to the man.

I am Perpetuum.

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
KokoTurtle wrote:

on  a game that has been launched for 5 years & in development for ... what 5 or more years before it was launched???

Sell the game to someone that can actually develop it then.

KokoTurtle wrote:

Once thing that I would like to see is in the year or six month sections some new features that they would like to do and cannot afford with funding goals. I'm sure they could generate more money and change.

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
KokoTurtle wrote:

If they were to do a balance change (properly) and backers got a preatorian or mercenary version of an assault for $10, an assault and mech for $25 and an assault mech and heavy for $50 and a t4+ fit assault mech and heavy for $75 and a t4+ assault mech and heavy in every race for $150 ....

http://imgur.com/gallery/QgJUL

I would be very surprised if they couldn't raise 3 - 5k with that.

All that sh*t requires time and effort, the kind few people spend on their hobbies.

You realize it's a hobby & side-project for them right? They don't clock in at 0800 and clock out at 1600, if homeboy doesn't feel like coding this week and feels like playing vidya games, he's gonna play vidya games.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

we've talked about this kind of thing a lot, it's like they don't want money.

Zoom, did you take a vow of poverty?

Ok let's get a few things straight:

1. This isn't a "side project", we're doing this as a full time job.
2. The features and balance forums sections are very useful for us. Yes, I rarely reply, but I'm reading (mostly) all of it.
3. In the past we have made the mistake of getting sidetracked by all the small requests you post here. This may seem harsh, but we can't afford that right now, cause then the new mission system will never get done. That doesn't mean though that your ideas go down the drain, the topics won't go anywhere and we'll review them when the time is right.

Your sexy when your angry zoom.

Can you implement a kickstart style campaign though. We want to give you money for shinies.

I'm not angry, sorry if it came through like that smile

And sorry to burst your bubble but a kickstarter campaign wouldn't work for us at this point. We would basically have to stop what we're doing, take off at least half a year to assemble a concept/video/features/stetch goals/etc package that we could build the campaign on, in order to have at least a small chance of being successful. We can't afford that (and I know how funny this sounds in the context of kickstarter).

DEV Zoom wrote:

I'm not angry, sorry if it came through like that smile

And sorry to burst your bubble but a kickstarter campaign wouldn't work for us at this point. We would basically have to stop what we're doing, take off at least half a year to assemble a concept/video/features/stetch goals/etc package that we could build the campaign on, in order to have at least a small chance of being successful. We can't afford that (and I know how funny this sounds in the context of kickstarter).

If your looking to raise millions of pounds I would agree but the reality is your current income is at such a level that even small amounts would matter. Raising $5k dollars for instance would be relatively easy from even a small community like this and if that helps you to bring in additional support for a month or two to push something forward then why not?

If the community wants to help raising that kind of money, the only thing they have to do is buy credits, we don't need kickstarter for that.

$5k would literally give us one month, I honestly don't see any point in building a campaign for that, we're not that desperate yet smile

We do have ongoing investor talks/processes in the background though, but I can only talk about that if something solid comes up.

DEV Zoom wrote:

If the community wants to help raising that kind of money, the only thing they have to do is buy credits, we don't need kickstarter for that.

$5k would literally give us one month, I honestly don't see any point in building a campaign for that, we're not that desperate yet smile

We do have ongoing investor talks/processes in the background though, but I can only talk about that if something solid comes up.

I think the problem people have with credits etc is they don't feel connected to where the money goes. People are more likely to pay if its for something tangible they know they are going to get.

I have to agree with Zoom here, these kick starter BS is just a waste on dev time and resources. Though I would advise not to put all your eggs in one basket ie Missions,gamma, 'Jesus features'.

RIP PERPETUUM

And not to derail your little love taps but I'd love to buy credits but I have nothing to spend them on.  Can you make something for me to Spend Credits on?

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Phantomburn wrote:

And not to derail your little love taps but I'd love to buy credits but I have nothing to spend them on.  Can you make something for me to Spend Credits on?

Give some to noodlez so he can quit spurting tears out of his eyes about how he cant do anything but the ictus.

Jita wrote:
Phantomburn wrote:

Give some to noodlez so he can quit spurting tears out of his eyes about how he cant do anything but the ictus.

I am glad you pointed this out.  Theres only TWO options to spend credits, I boost!  Or I Respec, which is a nice pay to win option for FoTM.

Besides that theres nothing.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.