Topic: NPC Siege Island

This might have been covered already, but i decided to bring it up again and see how the responses would be.  One of the ideas i had for the devs to implement was to have an island dedicated to hoards of red mobs.  Maybe it would be a reward system for completing missions or drops from beacons.  The idea is simple siege a base from red mobs complete with Turrets and mega bosses.  It starts off simple you must get past the perimeter with scouts attacking you and you moving forward.  At the base, you have to deal with turrets, as well as, ranged reds shooting at you.  In the middle you have a commander with a couple of generals supported by a small platoon.  I was thinking this could be instant based where only people from your squad can enter or a random island sitting off of the gamma islands.  The devs could also make it more challenging where you can only take a limited number of peeps.  It could possibly scale to the number of people you bring in.  Maybe have one super hard core mode where the entire server would need to band together and really test that Lag sad.  If you really wanna be hard core about it these could have DPS checks in it where you need to be doing X damage in order to not get wrecked by the super boss maybe have a timer that if it goes to long he goes super saiyan and wipes everyone.  What does everyone think?

Re: NPC Siege Island

Honestly the response will be crickets from the Devs and nothing more will come of it...

I really wish the Dev's would of spent all the time they developed gamma into something else.  I know hindsight, but who will say that gamma didnt kill the game...Too many eggs in one basket.  Its sad....I cry at night sometimes.

I am Perpetuum.

I agree with these great ideas but as Perpetuum said, it appears the Devs are a closed book.....

4 (edited by Celebro 2015-03-05 18:19:58)

SunnyJester wrote:

I agree with these great ideas but as Perpetuum said, it appears the Devs are a closed book.....

A closed book is an under statement lately, they don't give much feedback to our comments, and if they do they get all defensive and think their way is the best when most of us clearly know the robot races are out of whack and the balancing decisions just made it far worse. Not least they even did not give as a chance to comment on the balancing change before it went live.

Don't get me wrong the nerf on bots i can understand even the slow development; there is not really much they could do about it.

The last balancing clearly shows they are not upto the task in making this a successful game. Why? Because they don't know how this game works, the explanation given is mediocre at best.

RIP PERPETUUM

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ated-7314/

Let's brush off the previous link of links to all sorts of good ideas that teh DEVs can't get to.

With two weeks work by the devs you could have a whole new PVE experience, a new tier of bots, a new reward system for PVE, five new tiers of mods, a new class of weapons and a change to industry that is significant.

It would take approximately a hundred hours of dev time to implement.

The problem is the devs don't hear or listen.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

And that comes from what...your hundreds of hours of Dev Time yourself?

Its comments like these that dont make me wonder anymore of why the just shutup...

I am Perpetuum.

Perpetuum wrote:

And that comes from what...your hundreds of hours of Dev Time yourself?

Its comments like these that dont make me wonder anymore of why the just shutup...

That comes from being a business analyst who's job it is to plan and cost out large and small scale changes and projects for business systems. By no means the same but not shooting in the dark either.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Not even close, but nice try!

I am Perpetuum.

I slice up oranges and potato's for a living, so I can do open heart surgery, yea no problem.

Both involve cutting things, knifes, and holding things down, right?

I am Perpetuum.

The point is change doesn't have yo be difficult not time consuming. Most of the changes I discussed are simply database changes that can be done in a couple of hours.

5 new tiers of equipment and a new PvE reward system for instance can be done simply by changing the stats of existing unused tiers such as t0, t-3, t2+,t4+ and proto to create a meta the equivalent of tech 5 - 9. You would then alter the loot tables to increase scarcity and you give PVE a reason to grind with none linier random rewards - a crucial yet missing element of the Skinner box.

A new tier of bots is done in the same way, database changes of existing tiers such as proto bots so make them used alongside changes to the usual used bots to create a rock paper scissors distinctly racial meta chain with different classes rather than different levels of a class.

A new weapon class is done by retasking underused guns.

All of the above is just changes to loot tables and tweaking in the database of existing values. It really isn't a lot of work, once you know what's changing you could do it in a day.

The change to industry would be done by altering build tables for mk2 and meta 5 to include colixium alongside a change to the PL's to give the same kind of chance of a high tier drop for mining as you get for mob killing.

The PVE experience is a bit more difficult but is essentially the same idea I had a while ago which rovoc talks about here albeit a little different. Using the same mechanics existing cut and pasted with some coding changes and that might take them longer.

The n

Sure... anyone can put in time to code but what do you do when the subsequent bugs start to pop up? Coding is easy, but balancing is much tougher. Adding any vertical content (as awesome as that would be) would immediately throw things into even more of a mess.

At this point there's an argument to be made for a few revamps followed by a wipe and reset. Either that or find some crazy NIC/mat sink that will even the field a little more and shake up anything. Hell, with the pop numbers a rebalance to make betas truly into solo/small gang PvP content would be smart.

But in any case, giving the kids with all the toys more toys isn't as much fun as giving players a real reason to wreck those toys so they'll need more. With the sat-on NIC/Mats out there, the idea of scarcity has become somewhat laughable for many groups.

13 (edited by Jita 2015-03-06 17:44:40)

its not a code change its a database change. Your just changing values that already exist. That shouldn't require anything particularly rigorous from a testing point of view, certainly no regression testing. It's really not a difficult thing to do.

Balancing is a different story, thats something you would have to think about from an experiential point of view. Whats the worst that can happen, undemobable arbalasts?

in regards to your point about scarcity a change to the meta levels alongside a change to proto bots / mk2 bots would in fact shake up the status quo - you couldn't just do no industry and expect to be competitive.