Topic: Shield Radius?

Hello,

I was just comparing the small and medium shield generators. It seems to only real difference is the shield radius (3vs8). What does it do?

Is it the range the shield extends around your bot? Or is only part of your bot covered if you use a small shield on a large bot? Is surface hit ratio and shield radius related?

Re: Shield Radius?

http://www.perpetuum-online.com/Help:Defense_systems

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

my interpretation of that guide page is that a medium shield will have better absorption ratio when equipped on the same mech/bot as a small shield.

The thing is that it doesn't happen like that when I test it... I tried small and medium shields on troiar, waspish, tyrannos and ictus... always same absorption rate for a given bot/mech.

of course I only looked at the reported absorption when you click the information option on the equipped module (after deploying, not on equip screen), I didn't do any combat testing yet... could it be that the reported abs. ratio is bugged?

4 (edited by Alexander 2011-01-12 17:55:45)

If the shield size is less than the robot size the shield is put under stress to fully cover the robot and thus the HP/AP ratio flys out the window (And isn't displayed as having done so it seems).

E.g. A mech will want a medium shield where a light can get away with a small shield.

It is highly likely they'll have messed up somewhere and greatly larger shields on smaller robots IS better but it's not meant to be. tongue

The Game

its meant to be that way, alexander - or else, a t4 medium shield would be worse then a t3 on a regular mech.

there was a bug towards the end of the beta, that completly ignored that hitsize/shield radius calculation, and made small t3 shields the most efficient one on heavy mechs without any costs.
people started to call shields imbalanced as a whole, ignoring the fact, that you wouldn't be able to fit a gropho with all the other equipment + a T4 medium shield - without an auxilery Reactor.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

its meant to be that way, alexander - or else, a t4 medium shield would be worse then a t3 on a regular mech.

there was a bug towards the end of the beta, that completly ignored that hitsize/shield radius calculation, and made small t3 shields the most efficient one on heavy mechs without any costs.
people started to call shields imbalanced as a whole, ignoring the fact, that you wouldn't be able to fit a gropho with all the other equipment + a T4 medium shield - without an auxilery Reactor.

T4 Medium shields are the only shields that will cover a heavy mech correctly.
I don't think it's an intended feature if it's happening. I would hope it isn't happening else medium shield ewar robots go!

The Game

7 (edited by Annihilator 2011-01-12 20:39:44)

before you blabber - have you ever tried?

t2 proto medium shield needs 214 RP, small ewar (intakt or trojar) has 227 with maxed reactor extension.

you need a coreactor just to be able to fit anything else.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear