Topic: Shields

Just wanted to say that shields are still very overpowered and need fixing. I would change the bonus for hardeners to 30% 40% and 45% with 20% more fitting requirements for the higher tech.

Re: Shields

Shield need to apply an debuff that will disable shields from being reactivated from 10 seconds after they've been deactivated be it via low AP or manually.

1 on 1 pvp shields usually come out on top due to their buffer because you can turn them on with 5 or 10 AP and survive a volley. Shields seem to bleed very weirdly now, I've seen targets take damage before their shields turn off.

The Game

I like the 10 second rule idea. You can keep your shield up permanently, but when you drop it to fire there is an opportunity for attack.

Spamming fire into a shield in the hopes that they mistime their shield micro when returning fire is not cool.

that will only matter in a small gang though. In a 10 man up gang you just leave them down the whole fight till you are primaried as primary switching generally takes longer than 10 seconds. We used this to good effect in the assault on abbu in OB.

To be fair shields in a blob may make the difference but will limit other fittings and shields aren't exactly cheap to make to fit everyone with them.

I'd rather anti-blob mechanics than anti-shields. We've proven that shields don't work well in small groups if the enemy knows what they're doing but in blobs they can cause issues for both sides.

Anti-blob > Anti-Shield

The Game

Not arguing on which is more important to fix.

Talking about shields.... They need to make a visual effect on the shield to indicate when the shield is going to turn off.

Shields should start to change color depending on the bots accu usage. The lower their accu goes the blue effect starts to change to orange/red.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Or start flashing?

Campana wrote:

Or start flashing?

you still living in HTML 1.0 days? tongue

No, I was thinking more about a nice gradient color change from blue to red.

I was thinking more about the way the pvp flag turns off tongue

I would like to see something with a little more info rather then a simple flashing, but I guess flashing is all that would need to be done if you were keeping it simple.

12 (edited by Neoxx 2010-12-11 01:29:00)

Suggestion: Shield starts flickering and arcing when it gets low, like the power supply is about to fail.

Shields should have a reactivation penalty when turned off to prevent near impossible to catch  shield/weapon micro.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

perhaps have visuals of energy arcs coming from the bot to the shields when online and these stop when its about to go offline
2 second time tho so who cares tbh

Jita wrote:

Just wanted to say that shields are still very overpowered and need fixing. I would change the bonus for hardeners to 30% 40% and 45% with 20% more fitting requirements for the higher tech.

bulls hit

energy attacks leave a shildet target defenceless prey for ur teammates

ictus destroying a whole mech AP pool in 2 shoots

then have fun with ur shilds........ and see how they save ur as s

<<< REAL POWER CAN NOT BE GIVEN, IT MUST BE TAKEN >>>

Kyr - Perpetuum Online
Helios Norlund - Darkfall Online

Neoxx wrote:

Suggestion: Shield starts flickering and arcing when it gets low, like the power supply is about to fail.

Shields should have a reactivation penalty when turned off to prevent near impossible to catch  shield/weapon micro.

shild colour should change when it gets low on energy

flickering also ok but i guess change from blue to green and yellow flickering short before its gone would be better

shild should be full efficent when u turn it on

micromamange shild up and down for weapon useage isnt bad

as a shild bot(mech u allready have a crosshair on ur head with the letters energy drain /destroy me

thats penalty enought

im pretty sure soon lot ictus will be on battlefield just looking out for a  shild and empty their energy destoyers on them with a dirty smile

<<< REAL POWER CAN NOT BE GIVEN, IT MUST BE TAKEN >>>

Kyr - Perpetuum Online
Helios Norlund - Darkfall Online

Dunno if you've ever used the Ictus, but it needs some serious love to be nearly as effective as your making it out to be.
At the end of OB it became apparent that draining/nueting Artemis actually performed better in this role than the Ictus. Pretty lol, but it's true.

Based on what I saw with Grophos during open beta and the time I spent using one, i'd say they definitely need a slightly longer delay.

I completely disagree about upping the fitting requirements even more though, after they made smalls not work on mechs anymore, the Gropho was a real b*tch to fit, even with tier 2 hardners & t2 launchers, but that was right before wipe, so I didn't get to do extensive testing.

It's not that skill intensive really provos, we didn't tend to use smells then and we can fit them now with mediums, you just have to leave off a medium energy transfer.

I still use them and still think they are OP tbh. When you start to see t4 hardeners that are common and your facing riveler squads roaming ew will never kill you will see.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

18 (edited by Adom 2011-01-06 01:48:22)

about shields:
-you cant shoot when shield up(its reduces your dps, takes a lot of micro attention or makes you compltely useless)
-production cost of (shield+t4 hardeners) higher/same as robot cost
-hardeners requare unreal amount of cpu(you need minimum 2-3 hardeners)
-also losing so many headslots halves your dps/offence
-if youll get drained by ictus or someone, youll be poped in 2 seconds without passive defence
-shield tanking requare injector charges - they r costly and you cant carry a lot
-injector+shield leave you no reactor for guns LOL!!!!!!!! 
-they requare a LOT OF EP investment to get needed cpu/guns/effectivety

And after all that you asking for a nerf?

19 (edited by Adom 2011-01-06 01:40:55)

And yea, you need to prototype it all to use(while armor tanking almost free)! I feel crazy when I think of amount of efforts ive made towards shields  yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

Adom wrote:

about shields:
-you cant shoot when shield up(its reduces your dps, takes a lot of micro attention or makes you compltely useless)
-production cost of (shield+t4 hardeners) higher/same as robot cost
-hardeners requare unreal amount of cpu(you need minimum 2-3 hardeners)
-also losing so many headslots halves your dps/offence
-if youll get drained by ictus or someone, youll be poped in 2 seconds without passive defence
-shield tanking requare injector charges - they r costly and you cant carry a lot
-injector+shield leave you no reactor for guns LOL!!!!!!!! 
-they requare a LOT OF EP investment to get needed cpu/guns/effectivety

And after all that you asking for a nerf?

All of that PLUS, maybe your doing it wrong...
The answer to shields is not Moar Guns!!! If they were uber overpowered, cheap and easy to skill, everyone would be running around in shield rigs.  They're not... Besides if everyone were running around in shield rigs you might decide to start swapping neuts and drainers into your attack builds...

Their is a easy solution to the shield tank, not having the right tools on hand to do the job doesn't make them overpowered.

"You're living in a parallel universe." ~Syndic

bump for problem that's still around

There is no problem. Author was noob. Shields not need to nerf. Change - maybe.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Hunter wrote:

There is no problem. Author was noob. Shields not need to nerf. Change - maybe.

Nerf ERPS!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Nerf everything!

25 (edited by Dazamin 2011-12-29 13:02:26)

My personal opinion is that shields are a little too effective, but one change I'd really like to see, which I don't think would be too controversial would be some kind of indicator of shield level, ideally an accumulator bar like the armour bar (maybe only when shield is up?) Or as was suggested ages ago, the shield changes colour gradually as the accumulator level goes down. Having no clue if you're breaking a shield or not, and if so how quickly, really sucks for prioritizing targets.