Re: energy wells

I've never tried it 12 on and 12 off tbh.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

27 (edited by Annihilator 2015-03-06 21:40:36)

Altera wrote:

2. Is the problem the wells are pulling the liquid too fast and it is running out before the liquid 'flows' to the well?  I am not sure how htey have coded the liquid movement of fields.  What happens if you run it for 12 hours on, 12 hours off (I know this isnt fixing the issue, its only trying to troubleshoot it.. assuming the devs think this is an issue)

the thing is that the liquids don't "flow" at all, they never did. (do you know how a 3D printer works? the liquid mining system works the oppositte way - at least for the last 4 years it looked for me like it worked that way)

during the time players got the impression that it really flows no matter where they suck, was when the shape of the "puddles" was rather circular with a uniform "depth" across the whole puddle, while the slight gradient at the "outline" was automatically removed by the cleanup algorithm. That allowed you to suck from the deposit from any point until it was dry.

with rewrite of the ore layer mechanics, they also re-implemented the non-uniform shapes and "depth" settings we had before the random spawn location implementation.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

28 (edited by DEV Zoom 2015-03-06 22:06:58)

I can confirm that liquids don't flow towards the extraction point, but towards the highest concentration points of the field. (But I see that we already discussed this on page 1.)

However our intention was that an energy well should be able to completely extract a whole field without rebuilding it so we have to look into that.

Thank you for looking into it.

Sorry my bad....

I have had this issue as well and have ticketed it with no response.  Here is a screenshot of the well.  Notice the output is 720 AP instead of the 3000, and the well was placed 2 days ago.  Also, my base has 4 reactor that all draw in the 1500-2000 per tick so that is not the issue.

http://i.imgur.com/dClN0dt.jpg

SunnyJester wrote:

Sorry my bad....

I have had this issue as well and have ticketed it with no response.  Here is a screenshot of the well.  Notice the output is 720 AP instead of the 3000, and the well was placed 2 days ago.  Also, my base has 4 reactor that all draw in the 1500-2000 per tick so that is not the issue.

http://i.imgur.com/dClN0dt.jpg

that screenshot and the info misses:
1. how many energy wells in total you have
2. how much the other wells gather
3. and an actual tile based geoscan under the well showing how much tiles are actually within the towers range. maybe zoom can confirm what the gather rate per tile is wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I think its needed at least double the enery field energy contains, 10 day would be nice to rebuild the whole process not in days. After solved the "amoba" issue of the field.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

http://m.imgur.com/Z2CZYFI

In former times  (~3 years ago) it was quite common for me when mining liquid to reach a point where the tile was empty, but not the field, as I didn't selected the tile to which the liquid flowed in that time.

Today when mining a liquid field until the tile is depleted I can verify with 2 directional scans, that I really emptied the last tile.
This is for me always the case when emptying a liquid mine field, even if I select a tile at the border for any reason.

I do this ~2 a month with large fields and more often with smaller fields  and cannot remember the last 18 months to have a tile for Epitron, Liquizit or Hdt emptied, but still liquid remains in the field.

How can this happen by chance to 100%, if the liquids always flow to highest concentration point while I didn't care about selecting this point.

Energy Well mine the field for ~2 day long, with full capacity. After it decrease the energy output.

I really want to ask multiply at least 2 times the energy content. So in ~4 day need to rebuild the energy well.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

The point of energy wells was to make owning a single base easy for an active corporation, owning multiple bases harder work and for low numbers of people owning multiple bases it made it a pita. It seems like it's working as intended.

The other point of them was to generate PvP content on gamma by making them able to be destroyed by roaming gangs forcing a defender to come away from their turrets. I think that's partial there but they need to remove the reinforce cycle and triple the hit points.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

but jita - Ville decided for himself that he wants to only place enough energy wells to support the power demand of his production base and move them if their deposit is consumed.

isn't it his right to complain about the tedious effort required to sustain the way he choose to play?

Anni thanks for trolling the thread.  I'm glad we want to see more tedious base micromanagement for owning and sustaining ONE base.  Since the rewards of gamma are so awesome!

Jita wrote:

The point of energy wells was to make owning a single base easy for an active corporation, owning multiple bases harder work and for low numbers of people owning multiple bases it made it a pita. It seems like it's working as intended.

The other point of them was to generate PvP content on gamma by making them able to be destroyed by roaming gangs forcing a defender to come away from their turrets. I think that's partial there but they need to remove the reinforce cycle and triple the hit points.

Harder yes.  Tedious enough so two or three people get annoyed no.  Moving 1 energy well  3 times for one field is not realistic.  What is realistic is moving the well every 3 days to a brand new field. 

Also it would actually not create pvp it would create pve.  We all know how probes are handled and we all know that everyone is afraid so they only risk assets long enough as long as people won't lose it.

You said in a four day period you have to move the energy well three times. That means with three guys your doing half an hour every for days each. How is that not low level work?

As for not creating PvP opportunities? I would argue that probes are one of the only pvp generators in the game alongside saps. Other than those two it's just looking for people doing PVE on beta which doesn't happen after the mission change much at all. You'd have an easier time getting bobo a job.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

You know doing a tedious task can be less tedious with more people.  But it still doesn't change the fact that it's tedious.

I don't doubt it's tedious but it's not broken.

Phantomburn wrote:

You know doing a tedious task can be less tedious with more people.  But it still doesn't change the fact that it's tedious.

the way you do it, its tedious, indeed...

Question - when you mine solid ores with your maxed out riveler, do you mine 1 ground tile with 5 mining laser, or 5 ground tiles with 1 laser each?

5 different tiles.

Now, the question really is do I want to spend additional time terraforming flat spots to put a well over a mineral field that spawned in the middle of a hill, only to move it again in a day.  The answer is no.

DEV Zoom wrote:

I can confirm that liquids don't flow towards the extraction point, but towards the highest concentration points of the field. (But I see that we already discussed this on page 1.)

However our intention was that an energy well should be able to completely extract a whole field without rebuilding it so we have to look into that.

@DevZoom

http://i.imgur.com/8GfPixZ.jpg

shows the issue....I increased the intensity so you could see it but I placed this tower at the richest site.......this is a shot 2 days later

Guys its not a bad system!  I really like the system, honestly I do.  I think its smart!  But there's just a few QoL improvements that can make this less tedious and still require investment into gamma base management.

Phantomburn wrote:

Guys its not a bad system!  I really like the system, honestly I do.  I think its smart!  But there's just a few QoL improvements that can make this less tedious and still require investment into gamma base management.

What you want is for one guy to be able to keep a fully functional gamma base going doing work once every two or three days. Thats not what Gamma is supposed to be. It was specifically designed to be the opposite so that if you had ten guys you would have a hard time controlling a full base on every gamma. It's supposed to prevent the thing your asking for - semi afk gamma play and defence. If you don't like that, play more.

Moving an energy well 2-3 times to clean up a single field is stupidly wrong and like Zoom said not how its supposed to work.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Moving an energy well 2-3 times to clean up a single field is stupidly wrong and like Zoom said not how its supposed to work.

of course thats wrong but some *** are talking about having to move a well once every ten days and they need to take the coat hanger out of their brain