Topic: spark teleport tuning by adding an item

People are currently suggesting a cooldown to limit the frequency of spark teleports.

I am a noob, and I don't understand the power projection technique. However, I do think that players routinely ask for things that make the game less fun. One of the things that makes the game more fun is mechanics that emphasize the substance and reality of the world.

If there were a large, crafted item - maybe call it spark teleport receptors - which were used up by spark teleports, then you could control spark teleports by controlling this resource. Then you can only spark teleport to a station where you have a spark teleport receptor in your private storage, and the spark teleport uses up the receptor. Then people cannot teleport repeatedly, indefinitely, to the same station.

If the teleport item was made out of precursors including:
1. an item found by scanning down artifacts in pvp areas
2. noralgis
3. epriton
4. nic

Then the thing that people apparently want to use but (apparently?) are overusing - spark teleports - would still be in the game, but it would be balanced by more actual playing, in various styles - scanning down artifacts, farming, mining, pve combat, crafting the receptor, and finally freighting the receptor from the factory to the station or stations that people want to spark teleport to.

Does that sound like fun? Might it get people out of the stations, doing stuff?

2 (edited by Burial 2014-10-14 06:41:34)

Re: spark teleport tuning by adding an item

That's an untradable item or not? If it's not, it's just a NIC sink where rich will have advantage over the poor. I'm going to post the idea I had for Spark TP when I started playing ArcheAge:

Would be interesting if certain game activities such as mining and PVE grinding gave you small chance to obtain an untradable Spark TP item that is consumed with every jump.

That alone wouldn't really balance much, but people wouldn't be flip-flopping around like now since every jump means extra farming. More reasons to mine and PVE grind are always welcomed as well.

It's especially nice since the workload is multiplied by the number of alts the player wants to keep sparking. tongue

Why is untradability important to you?

Why do you prefer a small chance (stochastic) rather than a crafted item (deterministic)?

4 (edited by Burial 2014-10-14 06:50:01)

Untz wrote:

Why is untradability important to you?

NIC versus time sink. Time-sink means everyone from newbies to vets have to spend equal amount of work for sparking while NIC sink means veterans can buy the items off of newbies and have advantage they shouldn't have.

Untz wrote:

Why do you prefer a small chance (stochastic) rather than a crafted item (deterministic)?

There's a difference between active and passive time sinks. Crafting in this game is a passive time sink since most of the time is done waiting for the bot/item. I would much prefer sparking to be awarded to players actively playing the game not just logging in every now and then and putting lines to work.

The whole PVE grinding/mining is very deterministic and boring. That would slightly spice it up. smile

remove sparks

6 (edited by Burial 2014-10-14 06:54:22)

I'm all for removing them but Gamma doesn't have the content to keep players there 24/7. Ville, would you enjoy living on Gamma without sparks? big_smile

Ideally (and it might not work in practice), if a small, poor, not-yet-established group concentrates on one area (roaming repeatedly out from alpha or around one owned station) then they don't particularly incur costs related to spark teleports. Indeed, they can gain profits from them - by looting or crafting and selling them.

However, in order to use "power projection" against that group, then the rich, powerful, established group would need  not only to obtain receptors somehow (at least funding someone to go to pvp land and do something) AND they would need to freight the receptors (repeatedly) to a nearby station.

remove burials

Burial wrote:

I'm all for removing them but Gamma doesn't have the content to keep players there 24/7. Ville, would you enjoy living on Gamma without sparks? big_smile

Run Gunnar, run!

Burial wrote:

the question is - does Ville enjoy living on gamma with sparks, where he gets ganked like a noob on beta by npcs?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear