Topic: If I could direct development of the game for 1 year.

I would create a road map for the year and one that would continue on beyond the one year control.

I would produce monthly blogs about the road map.

I would create surveys for the community on features wanted and needed.

I would set priorities on those features that have the best return and could be done quickly.

I could and would turn this game around.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Re: If I could direct development of the game for 1 year.

and what if you are the one and only coder that has to do the stuff on that roadmap alone?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

3 (edited by Burial 2014-09-11 18:46:04)

1. New teleport network and highway routes.
2. Fix detectors.
2. Remove Sparks. Keep 1 on Gamma.
3. New assignments. Beta rewards balanced.
4. Some additional layer on top of NPC shooting.

Annihilator wrote:

and what if you are the one and only coder that has to do the stuff on that roadmap alone?

That should only influence how much gets put on the roadmap. To me Gremrod's comment is about the development process, not the amount of development.

5 (edited by Gremrod 2014-09-11 16:58:29)

Nexonic wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

That should only influence how much gets put on the roadmap. To me Gremrod's comment is about the development process, not the amount of development.

Correct.

Whatever road map they follow they need to speed development somehow that would be the first priority for me.

RIP PERPETUUM

7 (edited by Gremrod 2014-09-11 17:50:13)

Celebro wrote:

Whatever road map they follow they need to speed development somehow that would be the first priority for me.

If hiring more developers is not an option. The best approach is to identify the features with the best game value and can also be done quickly.

You keep adding in small changes where you can in 2 to 4 week sprints. Some things can't be done in 2 to 4 week sprints so those you are working on in an ongoing sprints/iterations. All the time you have smaller 2 and 4 week sprints producing content, features, changes etc.

No going silent for six months. This allows you to keep in contact with the community and keep producing smaller features every 2 to 4 weeks and also working on the bigger stuff keeping the community up to speed on those developments at the same time.

This is what we do currently at my work. I have been a Scrum master, Product Manager, developer, and QA on the same project(s).

Your road map seems reasonable but I doubt they have the ability for keeping to a road map for 6 months, even less so for more than a year. After the gamma 2.0 release there would need some bug fixing that could take up some time too, so I think it would be hard to say.

RIP PERPETUUM

9 (edited by Gremrod 2014-09-11 17:54:14)

Celebro wrote:

Your road map seems reasonable but I doubt they have the ability for keeping to a road map for 6 months, even less so for more than a year. After the gamma 2.0 release there would need some bug fixing that could take up some time too, so I think it would be hard to say.

I don't see any reason why any development team can't keep to some type of a road map for six months or longer.

Bug fixing should be done during all development efforts.

We have a product we develop that is on sprint 33. 30 of those sprints have been 4 week sprints 3 have been 2 week sprints. Almost 2.5 years of features being produced monthly with bug fixes at the same time.

This process allows you too keep producing small, medium and large features along with bug fixing. smile Works rather well.

Maybe Gremrod should come up with a way to purchase the game from AC.

The only bad thing that could happen is the game finally flatlines for good. Not as if it isn't headed there anyways, the way things are currently going.

Reset each other yet?

+1

And I will even explain my opinion in a meaningful way.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

1 year of highways and automation

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

SmokeyIndustries wrote:

Maybe Gremrod should come up with a way to purchase the game from AC.

lol, no.

lol, gremrod would need to deal with his own corp ingame... lets talk about reseting relations?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Easier said than done.  im kind of ani-community babying.  It just leads to false hopes and upset people and tards who go "you lied to us" when things change and the course of development changes.

If I could have had the Hungarian whip to crack at the devs over the last few years, with my 20/20 hindsight vision, I would have focused on bot lines, new modules, and an engine overhaul, left gamma as it was until the gamma overhaul which would be done in a way to accommodate beacon terraforming with restrictions and a way to blow up terraformed terrain.

I would have hired a guy who spoke good English to create a voice over tutorial for all aspects of the game to play over dev footage with pointer arrows over the client rather than a in game tutorial.

I would have waited (not sure if it was even possible to do so) and get greenlit, then go on EA on steam, THEN steam launch all within 6 months to keep momentum going on new players joining.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth