1 (edited by Chief Ubenor 2010-12-09 20:34:15)

Topic: DEVS I found a solution to your Internet problems.

http://www.gigenet.com/

I've actually went through the trouble of speaking with one of the gigenet representatives and how this can be arranged.

You pay whatever price a month to Gigenet as an example. You get access to as many servers as you need through VPN. You RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) into the boxes if its a windows based server and install the game, configure it and what not. Or you get access through Linux, if PO is based on Linux.
Discuss all the security policies with them and what not. Basically you host the game in US through Gigenet for like 300$/month if its just 1 server - you always have remote access from Hungary to your game servers in US, you can release patches and do everything you want, and we gamers have much better latency, which means happier paying players - less problem for everyone.

It is a good solution, since from what I understand this MMO is sort of a budget based MMO and you probably won't be able to have your own Datacenter in US or Central Europe. So this solution would be perfect.

You can also try http://www.serverpronto.com/ but I haven't chatted with them so I am not sure but the basic idea is there. From what I know thats how foreign companies do, they rent servers in US or Europe and host their games to allow better communication on a client<->server level. Hope it helps.

Re: DEVS I found a solution to your Internet problems.

Managed dedicated servers is where you want to go on their website. Here is their pricing page:

http://www.gigenet.com/managed-dedicated-servers.html

yes and plz move tehm to usa wear i live thx

And for MMO you would want Unmetered Servers of course, so this page:

http://www.gigenet.com/managed-dedicate … rvers.html

Anyway, hope you get the idea. But you do need to move the server eventually.

5 (edited by GLiMPSE 2010-12-09 20:41:40)

Or they could host their infrastructure in the CLOUD...

Utility pricing for usage would make your accountant's happy. No huge opex spend and scalable to the ends of the earth.

<amazon ec2 says hi.>

~G~

6 (edited by GLiMPSE 2010-12-09 20:47:50)

Chief Ubenor wrote:

http://www.gigenet.com/

I've actually went through the trouble of speaking with one of the gigenet representatives and how this can be arranged.

You pay whatever price a month to Gigenet as an example. You get access to as many servers as you need through VPN. You RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) into the boxes if its a windows based server and install the game, configure it and what not. Or you get access through Linux, if PO is based on Linux.
Discuss all the security policies with them and what not. Basically you host the game in US through Gigenet for like 300$/month if its just 1 server - you always have remote access from Hungary to your game servers in US, you can release patches and do everything you want, and we gamers have much better latency, which means happier paying players - less problem for everyone.

It is a good solution, since from what I understand this MMO is sort of a budget based MMO and you probably won't be able to have your own Datacenter in US or Central Europe. So this solution would be perfect.

You can also try http://www.serverpronto.com/ but I haven't chatted with them so I am not sure but the basic idea is there. From what I know thats how foreign companies do, they rent servers in US or Europe and host their games to allow better communication on a client<->server level. Hope it helps.

Looking past the sarcasm in my previous post... there is a good chance they already have their servers in a data center in hungary.

<T-mobile managed datacenter>

~G~

I think Gigenet offers some CLOUD solutions as well. But yeah, there are many providers now in both Europe and US.

8 (edited by GLiMPSE 2010-12-09 20:50:18)

I strongly doubt the lag is connection specific, ram, or CPU.

The largest bottleneck for their performance is going to be the storage infrastructure... it's the most expensive to build up and the hardest to keep on par with the rest of the scaling hardware metrics.

I doubt they currently have the necessary storage fabric to support the kind of data exchange that is/will be happening in this game.

9 (edited by GLiMPSE 2010-12-09 20:55:13)

If they haven't already looked at it or are currently using something with similar capabilities.... Open Solaris & ZFS  have some pretty ***' low cost storage solutions..

It would be a good idea to look into this in time, but for starters they may want to host a game server somewhere closer to the players. cool Then after playerbase expands they can follow up on storage solutions. But I think they will have to face both eventually either they want it or not.

Just like I posted in the other topic:

I say it and will say it again.

If they put the server in the data center in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
It will be directly on the Great Atlantic backbone.

Then you got both decent latency for US players and European players.

I work in the IT myself for over 11 years now. And I can tell you this much.

The internet lines between Eastern Europe and Western Europe are notoriously known for being bad and unstable!

I have had years of first hand experience and dealings with this.

So with the server being located in Budapest, Hungary. It doesn't suprise me one single bit that so many people are suffering from Latency issues. Especially players from across the pond (US).

Cheers

There is a grow op beside my house that just got raided so it's available atm. Please move the servers there.

Jeronas wrote:

<snip>If they put the server in the data center in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
It will be directly on the Great Atlantic backbone.

Then you got both decent latency for US players and European players.<snip>

I fully support this big_smile. If it happens I look forward to playing with 10ms.

*Insert really awesome sig here*

Chief Ubenor wrote:

Basically you host the game in US... ...we gamers have much better latency, which means happier paying players - less problem for everyone.

Your arrogance astounds me. To think that "the playerbase" is you lot in the US. Get some god damn perspective. You aren't the only ones in the world (directing this at the op, not americans as a whole).

I for one would hate for the server to be moved across the pond. It wouldn't make sense anyway, considering in america you have only a handful of countries locally, whereas on the otherside of the atlantic, you are much more central to far more people.

Internap Network Services

http://www.internap.com

This is the answer. Highly scalable services with potential for growing.

CenDre wrote:

Internap Network Services

http://www.internap.com

This is the answer. Highly scalable services with potential for growing.

Now we know where you work.

<transparent, sales pitch is transparent>

~G~

NA actually I was a wow player and i once saw a thread that mentioned blizzard used internap for wow. Just figure if blizzard uses them the might be good.....besides the web page looks neat.

A server move to the US would be awesome.  I am a gamer from NZ and connecting to US servers puts me around the high 100's mark which is far more acceptable than the 380+ I get now.

I'm loving my 80ms ping thankyou very much. A server move to US would end my interest in this game.

Wow you actually think the Devs didn't work through the pros and cons of various server options beforehand?  You think this thread is teaching them something they didn't already know?

They are not first year IT students working from their basement you know, they don't need schoolboy advice on pricing for server hosting. lol - the arrogance is astounding.

Also although not the best commercial option in the long run, it does give me a smile to see yanks moaning about server locations the way us Europeans have done for years. 

I am sure the Devs have every intention of moving server location if it causes problems - once the game shows it's doing well and bringing in the money to make it worthwhile.  There is far more than just cost involved there are legal concerns to.

21 (edited by Weapon X 2010-12-10 06:26:13)

Its the routing that's the issue. Several hops are dropping packets like crazy.

Don't care where the server is as long as the connection is reliable and some sort of network optimisation is done. Even if its just an established route metric quality they have agreed upon with their provider.

Ppl whinging about latency in a game where it doesn't even really matter. If you couldn't see the number I bet most of u wouldn't even notice less much care.

Weapon X wrote:

Its the routing that's the issue. Several hops are dropping packets like crazy.

Don't care where the server is as long as the connection is reliable and some sort of network optimisation is done. Even if its just an established route metric quality they have agreed upon with their provider.

Ppl whinging about latency in a game where it doesn't even really matter. If you couldn't see the number I bet most of u wouldn't even notice less much care.

Very tru.

what a *** thread.

you seriously dont think the devs already knows this??

gotta love the homeboy basement dwellers who think they got the solution to world hunger just cause they read it on the internet!!

US-centric hilarity

Arrogant americans! roll

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website