Topic: New teleport network

DEV Zoom wrote:

Combined with the proposed highway and teleport network changes, this should make boring walks somewhat less of an issue.

Can you spill the beans and give us some more info about the new teleport network?

Re: New teleport network

Faster boring walks does not make it any less boring , just saying.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

I don't care much for highways, but if the new teleport network is properly done, the intra-island distances we are talking about will be reduced considerably.

Zoom said something about it being less of a network change and more of a highway addition. If I recall correctly.....

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

The main ideas are:
1. Alpha and beta: you should be able to travel between teleports and terminals without stepping off a highway.
2. Teleport network reconfiguration or new teleport where a highway connection would be too long already.
3. Alpha islands only: put/relocate a teleport closer to every terminal (if not already there).

I am still concerned with faster travel as it always ends up making the game world smaller.

Yes, we could all agree that travel is rather dull, but on the other hand, it is a necessary evil. You still have a choice not to travel between islands unless you are doing pvp or want something from beta. So this leaves us with 'forced' travel doing missions or mining, mostly inner island travel, which is where the big issue lies.

RIP PERPETUUM

7 (edited by Burial 2014-09-08 18:32:59)

Some suggestions:
- Add a couple more internal teleport destinations to all of the Alphas. That's your 2nd point?
- Connect internal teleports with external ones on Alphas. Teleport beacons should not be needed on Alphas.
- Add more static entry teleports to Betas.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The main ideas are:
1. Alpha and beta: you should be able to travel between teleports and terminals without stepping off a highway.
2. Teleport network reconfiguration or new teleport where a highway connection would be too long already.
3. Alpha islands only: put/relocate a teleport closer to every terminal (if not already there).

I'm so excited!!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

9 (edited by Kaz Rock Horgarsson 2014-09-08 20:10:17)

Celebro wrote:

I am still concerned with faster travel as it always ends up making the game world smaller.

Yes, we could all agree that travel is rather dull, but on the other hand, it is a necessary evil. You still have a choice not to travel between islands unless you are doing pvp or want something from beta. So this leaves us with 'forced' travel doing missions or mining, mostly inner island travel, which is where the big issue lies.

I agree with you, but my concern making it too fast to get to one place from another, make it too fast then we can get there with backup with fight any type pvp going on, but make it too slow and there will no back at all, so we have to find the mid point of fast and slow, as celebro said some travel is a necessary evil for many reasons, for the most part i think the inner ring of islands need been speed up but not too much while traveling to any beta need to be slow down a bit but hey that just my 2 cents, i can have it backworks for all i know.

and another suggestion, why not remove the teleport sparks off the beta islands and the Alpha islands that leads to the beta islands so you cant just teleport spark over there and have backup in a very short time but hey that just my 2 cents. i can have it backworks for all i know.

zoom - will you move teleports or outposts for this?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

11 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-09-08 20:03:23)

Celebro wrote:

+100 with respect to REPETITIVE activities on a single island.

Sparking to other games

12 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-09-08 20:09:03)

Also Zoom

1.) Sparks - Remove them completely from Beta

2.) Interzon TP - Restrict IZ so that you cannot go from Alpha > Beta or Beta > Beta.

This may help with current Power Projection Issues on Beta.

Sparking to other games

13 (edited by Burial 2014-09-08 20:37:55)

Rex Amelius wrote:

Also Zoom

2.) Interzon TP - Restrict IZ so that you cannot go from Alpha > Beta or Beta > Beta.

This may help with current Power Projection Issues on Beta.

1) Agreed mostly. Sparks on Alpha are hopefully unnecessary with the new changes. Perhaps the best idea is to only allow one to be placed in a Gamma terminal.

This also closely relates to your second point. If it's not possible to Spark TP between Alpha terminals, the Interzones are also less harmful.

2) Betas need more entrances in that case. Without Interzones, it's practically impossible to enter even remotely used islands unnoticed. Surprise is half of the battle.

Annihilator wrote:

Outposts no. Some teleports will be probably moved.

Regarding interzones: we have moved zones further away from each other. This feels more realistic, and the 3 factions now have a more distinct place on the map. You can still reach betas from alphas with interzones but only within the same faction, and barely. You'll see this soon on the test server.

15 (edited by Rex Amelius 2014-09-08 21:42:07)

Burial wrote:
Rex Amelius wrote:

Also Zoom

2) Betas need more entrances in that case. Without Interzones, it's practically impossible to enter even remotely used islands unnoticed. Surprise is half of the battle.

Yes, of course ...don't want to eliminate the ability of stealthy entry. I just want to find ways to eliminate easy mobility of forces across ALL Beta. IZ ain't helping my Anti-Spark Crusade.

EDIT: just read above post and sound very promising.

Sparking to other games

DEV Zoom wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Regarding interzones: we have moved zones further away from each other. This feels more realistic, and the 3 factions now have a more distinct place on the map. You can still reach betas from alphas with interzones but only within the same faction, and barely. You'll see this soon on the test server.

regarding interzones -
why don't you make them teleport to player set waypoints with the condition that the waypoint has to be on another island in range?

that way at least the entry point to beta cannot be covered with a single proxy beacon or scout (that could teleport away).
I mean, do you really need a static teleporter as destination for those things to work? instance and coordinates should be enough. even a validy check if the waypoint is on passable terrain should be doable.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

17 (edited by Kaz Rock Horgarsson 2014-09-08 23:44:22)

Annihilator wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

regarding interzones -
why don't you make them teleport to player set waypoints with the condition that the waypoint has to be on another island in range?

that way at least the entry point to beta cannot be covered with a single proxy beacon or scout (that could teleport away).
I mean, do you really need a static teleporter as destination for those things to work? instance and coordinates should be enough. even a validy check if the waypoint is on passable terrain should be doable.

If that were to happen then you can jump anywhere that you wish to jump to making it easy to attack a spot, or moving a army in to a spot that most likely hard to stop and it easy to move one unseen too.

Celebro wrote:

Yes, we could all agree that travel is rather dull, but on the other hand, it is a necessary evil.

Ever since I started shortly after the game came out, people have been opposed to fixing the transportation clusterf*ck on the grounds that it was a "necessary evil."

More people have left this game after trying it because of that "necessary evil" than any other single element in this game.  The choice is to keep it and watch the game continue to wither away, or fix it.  Simple as that.

Calio, In other MMO there travel, and yet we walk, run, ride, fly or what in there, the point is travel is a necessary evil for all games even World of warcraft.

Kaz Rock Horgarsson wrote:

Calio, In other MMO there travel, and yet we walk, run, ride, fly or what in there, the point is travel is a necessary evil for all games even World of warcraft.

difference in other games:

• there are non-teleport travel mechanics that you can use AFK, like dropships and such.

• roads  are usually easy to use with autorun, and

• your character often runs in a world where most of the enviromental objects are bigger then your avatar (aka tree's), and

• you will find wildlife that you can grind (or someone else) left and right of those roads.

• Last but not least, most games allow you to FIGHT an unexpected encounter on that road with a realistic chance of winning and not holding up to long.

now when you look at perpetuum:

• only AFK travel method is Autopilot that doesn't priorize roads or shortest distance. just play A# pathfinding

• Your moving huge robots with high speeds around an empty world, where

• most thing in your enviroment are smaller then your avatar.

• The roads seldom allow you to use the autorun for more then a few seconds, if they are even present.

• You don't see much player doing anything because only a handfull of NPC spawns ingame are worth grinding, and Mining happens AFK somehwer off-road anyway.

• Random encounters are feared in Perp, and got removed completely, because they cannot be dealt with unless your already fit for something similar, which is very unlikely because you fit only for the one and only task you intended to go for.

there are so many factors just off because of the lack of scale and enviromental content. alone the camera perspective makes you think your moving ultra slow. If you think thats not important - jump into a light bot, zoom in max, set the alternate steering mode where left and right is turning, not strafing and camera follows robot rotation - you will see what i mean.

21 (edited by Celebro 2014-09-15 15:18:14)

Calio wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Yes, we could all agree that travel is rather dull, but on the other hand, it is a necessary evil.

Ever since I started shortly after the game came out, people have been opposed to fixing the transportation clusterf*ck on the grounds that it was a "necessary evil."

More people have left this game after trying it because of that "necessary evil" than any other single element in this game.  The choice is to keep it and watch the game continue to wither away, or fix it.  Simple as that.

If there is barely no travel or very fast then the big game worlds we all are after, is meaningless. Like I said the problems lies in the slow travel for mission and mining or basically to do stuff. To inter island travel should still be slow or as an option more islands need to be added to compensate.

RIP PERPETUUM

Game content should not be created by making things artificially harder to prolongue your gaming experience.
Examples:
slow walking speeds (increases playing time, decreases efficiency)
EP sinks for no reason or higher than relative Extension complexity (Navigation skill for example)
Player Built Highways on Gamma (concept, great! mechanics restricts building)
Bandwidth for structures on Gamma (another great concept! but costs prohibit building a complete base with one terminal)

I'd love to see the overall layout for this game, the Devs vision of how the game is supposed to function and what is supposed to be coming next and when. Hell, forget about the future. I'd just like to see in detail from the Devs how the various mechanics are supposed to function with each other now.