Topic: Connection Priorities

Quick math question:

standard energy transmitter has a max of 700AP output, max 4 outgoing connections
standard facilities consume 500AP/cycle when active, max 4 incomming connections
standard facilitie booster consume 50 AP/cycle, max 1 outgoing connections

if i want to power 1 facility with 3 attached booster through one standard energy transmitter, what numbers do i need to type into the power connections to have all buildings stable supplied with power?

(i know the answer already, this is more aiming at DEV Zoom)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Connection Priorities

come on zoom - can you figure it out?

someone asked me to put such things up on the wiki, though i just don't know how to explain how it works in english. can you give it a try?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

650?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

now, after meeting zoom on PTS,
and forwarding this to him -
all of the answers he gave have been the expected ones (aka now knowing the involved game mechanic)

the answer would be 100:10:10:10 , or 79:7:7:7

* New: Energy output priority windows now show the calculated energy output for that connection based on the priority setting.

It's not much, but something.

DEV Zoom wrote:

* New: Energy output priority windows now show the calculated energy output for that connection based on the priority setting.

It's not much, but something.

hmm, well,
its something.. .but if nothing was changed about how the energy is distributed, its still something "wrong".

let me test, then i write in detail what should happen.

It's still "dumb", because if you have 3 outgoing connections with priority 50, then the calculator will show half of the max output for all 3 connections, which is of course impossible to achieve if all of them need energy. However this is still just a priority setting, not a hard output limiter.

edit: and I'm not sure you can test it because Gargaj forgot to put out a PTS client.

8 (edited by Annihilator 2014-09-18 21:19:53)

its on PTS already.

but it seems more that the priority setting is working again as it initially was supposed to do -
aka, if i have 3 connections, and only 1 has a demand, it will get the full "maximum output", and not only 1/3rd.

i don't know if the behaviour i watched two weeks ago was limited to Standard/T1 energy nodes, because now i don't see that happening on my T3 nodes (someone killed my T1 base so i have to set up something again.)

Update:
I can see both things happen... thats hell of confusing!
a backbone (6000max) with two 50% connections will send max 3000 AP to either of the connected nodes
an energy node (1000max) with four 50% connections will send the full 1000AP to either node in case no other one has a demand.

Update2:
this is really not consistent. now i got a energy node do both things. one time it only sends a fraction of its max, the next cycle it sends the full number.
and the more i play around with it, i blame that "efficiency" multiplier for messing up things.

so, suggestions:
instead of caclulating a theoretical AP value out of the priority number, let me type in higher numbers then 100, and display the resulting ratio.
so in case of the initial example, i type in the 500:50:50:50 - and the respective priority window will show me 76.92%:7.69%:7.69%:7.69%.
that way i can type in the expected demand, and it will make it work big_smile