Re: Power projection

It's really simple.  If you aren't content with 1 entity owning everything.  You either
A.  Stop them

or

B.  Attack them

simple really.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

i would love option
C. "ignore them" and pvp with others.

but then the single entity would feel "left out" and show up uninvited.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

i would love option
C. "ignore them" and pvp with others.

but then the single entity would feel "left out" and show up uninvited.

Go play arena games then.... big_smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Most people prefer:

D:  cry on the forums.

Ville wrote:

Most people prefer:

D:  cry on the forums.

Attempting to balance power projection is something every game struggles with. Your arrogant attitude is deliberately unhelpful to doing it, as is your everything is fine rubbish. Grow up.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

See option D above Player Jita.

I seem to remember a spark teleport rage post about power projection and STC owning all the outposts not terribly long ago...  Wasn't that a PHM forum campaign on this exact subject? I must be remembering things wrong, I am sure CIR and Co wouldn't talk out of both sides of their mouth....

Anyway, I think you should only be allowed to spark teleport to a beta or gamma station owned by your corporation. Maybe with a limit on the number of betas or gammas allowed to be owned per corporation. Wouldn't completely fix the problem, but would at least make things a bit more difficult on alliances etc to own a lot of territory.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

33 (edited by Gremrod 2014-09-05 16:02:46)

Shadowmine wrote:

Anyway, I think you should only be allowed to spark teleport to a beta or gamma station owned by your corporation.

I like this one.

Shadowmine wrote:

Maybe with a limit on the number of betas or gammas allowed to be owned per corporation. Wouldn't completely fix the problem, but would at least make things a bit more difficult on alliances etc to own a lot of territory.

I don't like hard cut off numbers. But they did it for gamma islands.....

When Gamma comes back I would suggest that beta terminals on each island cannot be locked down or owned, it works well in EvE with low sec space, it would enable pvp corps and casual corps to have a beta presence without fear of losing their hard earned stuff

Jelan wrote:

When Gamma comes back I would suggest that beta terminals on each island cannot be locked down or owned, it works well in EvE with low sec space, it would enable pvp corps and casual corps to have a beta presence without fear of losing their hard earned stuff

That's the best idea I've heard in years.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Jelan wrote:

That's the best idea I've heard in years.

EVE comparison does not work here until we get about another 100 islands minimum. Then sure, add more open Beta terminals on more islands.

otherwise not the best idea I've heard in years especially since I hear it every other month for years.

You guys keep trying to balance the game with 30 dudes playing again... jeez

Sparking to other games

37 (edited by Burial 2014-09-07 12:19:47)

Jita wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Burial wrote:

Betas and Gammas should not revolve around one entity being able to shut everyone else off from all of the content.

If a single entity holds all the real estate then smaller entities band together to take said real estate. If people want something they need to take it.

If that is the case Beta will always be owned by one entity unless that entity decides to either not care about other islands or rent / have pets.

Thats idiotic.

This. Any mechanic that allows one blob to shut down everything, scream yolo and wait for another blob to go through it again is a bad mechanic. If developers think the barrier of entry for Gamma should be the ability to take a terminal from any current top-blob, they have already failed.

Saha wrote:

Since you've played quite a few MMOs with consiquence I'm sure you know what happens when something of extreeme value which can be taken away is added to the game. It encorages blobing to defend that value. Nature of human beeings I guess. I've seen it many times as I'm sure you've seen it as well. Do you think the game should go in that direction?
And no, my concerns here has nothing to do with current political map of PO. It's irrelevant. What is of importance is where the game will be heading to. M2S moved to Hokk not because of lvl 3 refinery anyways if you want to keep the political talk. It's just a side effect.
There's a lot of ways to ensure that intrusions are where people show up to defend and/or attack. Possible upgrades on existing stations being destroyed is just one example. Limiting access rights is just one step too far which in quite a lot of aspects will backfire at the devs in the long run.

^ In retrospect, it did backfire.

I blame Sparks

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Rage Blackout wrote:

I blame Sparks

Me too +1 million

RIP PERPETUUM

It's not sparks, it's low population. No ones turtle Gammas would have survived only 500 concurrent players online, yet everything gets changed to cater towards the 30 guys that only play (credit to Rex for pointing this out)

On topic, the theory of 3 terminals per island is good in theory to limit networks and sprawl. But the reality is the best prepared powerblock will simply use this limit to lock Gammas out for other players.  I personally think Gammas should have a per island-wide substainability point. Terminals have no cost, but all other structures use bandwidth. The island has a bandwidth cap. The player is left to choose whether he want one massive sprawling base with all facilities or several small mining bases connected by highways. Or something in between. It's called creativity. Something that has been killed in the new terraforming system. Arbitrary hard caps on bandwidth and terminals per island does not accomplish anything .. in the same way the current highway mechanics discourage attempting to build that really useful and long highway from main base to tele. This is based on what. I have read on the testing forums, not from doing things on the testing server.

Devs, introducing mechanics and artificially handicapping them to limit their use is the wrong way to do things.

Jita wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Burial wrote:

Betas and Gammas should not revolve around one entity being able to shut everyone else off from all of the content.

If a single entity holds all the real estate then smaller entities band together to take said real estate. If people want something they need to take it.

If that is the case Beta will always be owned by one entity unless that entity decides to either not care about other islands or rent / have pets.

Thats idiotic.

Look at EVE..... Goons could own it all but choose not to get to greedy, it would be a pain to guard it all against the entire server.

However Null is bigger than highsec in EVE its so big that there are truely still lawless spaces owned by no one.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

There are strong time and financial incentives for them not to bother. In addition CCP is working heavily on power projection nerfs as we speak because even the current dynamic they don't like.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

There are strong time and financial incentives for them not to bother. In addition CCP is working heavily on power projection nerfs as we speak because even the current dynamic they don't like.

Goons always destroy games! tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

44 (edited by Gremrod 2014-09-08 14:49:20)

And if you develop a game listening to all of this you have "Perpetuum".......

Gremrod wrote:

Nobody, ever, asked for SPT.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

Not quite true. Pretty much everyone when I first joined complained about the long travel times on terrain and several times a form of EvE clone jumping was requested. SpT was the result and I personally think its wasn't a bad concept.

Other factors harmed the game far more.

47 (edited by Celebro 2014-09-08 15:29:48)

Cassius wrote:
Celebro wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

Not quite true. Pretty much everyone when I first joined complained about the long travel times on terrain and several times a form of EvE clone jumping was requested. SpT was the result and I personally think its wasn't a bad concept.

Ok, fair enough.

I was never expecting no cool downs tbh. Eve has 24hrs cooldown and game is 1000x larger.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Cassius wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Ok, fair enough.

I was never expecting no cool downs tbh. Eve has 24hrs cooldown and game is 1000x larger.

Perfect example......

I think there's a 54 page thread that starts with, I think a 4 to 8 hour cooldown is needed.

50 (edited by Burial 2014-09-08 16:20:27)

Upgraded highways and teleport network along with teleport beacons is enough for comfortable movement. Even with the cooldown, the fugly side-effects of Spark Teleportation persist. Just remove it completely and try to fix the game with a clean slate.