Re: Has a CSM like system been tried in this game

Ville wrote:
Tonnik wrote:
Burial wrote:

I'm pretty sure it had an array of issues associated with it that won't be obvious without full understanding of the engine. Would be awesome if they could overcome it though, but not if it's going to take year's worth of development. hmm

You could easily make 50 mini islands not shown on the map and give as a mission item a teleport that goes to that specific mission location.

"Easily" is a relative term.

A thousand metre island could be made in a couple of hours with the old terraform engine. Then you would just add some cosmetic *** and and put some permanent artefacts there that come up with big npc spawns. Mix it with some static spawns. Hey presto you have a decent mission island.

Make 10 of them and add 2 more a week for the next three months and your cooking.

Add the basics of cosmetics and the mechanics to make small terraform islands and get the player base to make them for you (and get the mission named after them as thanks) and you will have great missions in a few months.

jita - they can make specific npcs spawn in a predefined area when the player on a certain mission uses a certain module.
but they cannot make a npcs spawn when a player on a mission just enters the area, neither can they make those mission locations just semi-random spawn on an island.

easy, is a relative term...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

jita - they can make specific npcs spawn in a predefined area when the player on a certain mission uses a certain module.
but they cannot make a npcs spawn when a player on a mission just enters the area, neither can they make those mission locations just semi-random spawn on an island.

easy, is a relative term...

They can use static spawns and also add mission location points as well as use the artefact mechanic so that when you activate the artefact another spawn comes.

it is a idea but why not make the spawns live always on the island and make them scan able teleports? less like a mission and more like the artifact things that kill you ( name has sliped my mind). Make the teleport spawn random and make the said mini island a active pvp zone?

so, basicly beta islands without any stations on them, that are accessed by random invisible teleport spawns on the existing islands that are activated when you reveal them via artifact scans?

(btw, super mod could split that topic off into feature request)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

You could make mini pvp arenas players could teleport to.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Annihilator wrote:

so, basicly beta islands without any stations on them, that are accessed by random invisible teleport spawns on the existing islands that are activated when you reveal them via artifact scans?

Mostly. You would get to them via mobile teleports issued through missions as an item.

You could add to these islands mining spawns etc making them useful and lucrative. What's important is once you have say ten designs you make a hundred of each of those design so that if people are doing the same mission they are unlikely (but not impossible) to be on the same spawn.

Annihilator wrote:

Yeah pretty much bad idea?

those are lots of things they could do... this sounds like something for the todo list, but nothing that i would see as factor in early and middle player retention rate.

where do you lose your robots and equip on regular basis to drive an economy in PvE ? How do you get your reward AND fun gameplay with your individual robot (as not having a sequer or bigger driving player on follow to pick up all your "reward")

SO imagine you accept a mission. Rather than give you a mission item the mission gives you a mission location. You undock from station with two of your corp mates and theres no long walking - barely any distance to travel at all. You just drop a standard teleport beacon and, like all beacons, it gives you the island locations as well as the option to enter in a mission location. You enter the mission location and then jump.

You land on a new island in the middle of a static red spawn that immediately locks you and agresses. You can see the island your on is maybe 1500m long and 500m wide - its clear you have to work your way through the different red spawns you can see to get to the mission location and complete the task. After killing your red spawn you do some mining scans - this mission type has a mining spawn oevery time and 1% of the time that spawn has 60m epriton. Jackpot - time to clean out the mission and bring in the miners to suck some of that beautiful epi. You move up the thin island taking out spawn by spawn to get to your location - a mission activation static point. Upon activating you get a massive observer spawn, challegning but doable and you finish the spawn with just a sliver of heath .... but wait

When you accepted this mission it warned you that the mission location was one of 150 possible locations that were a PvP open zone. You accepted because the reward is greater but now a PvP gang who has been randomly going through known PvP mission location ID's with their teleport has jumped in and are moving to engage. Your gang takes some cover and lets the RR get some health back while franticly pinging your alliance mates for backup. Red and Blue teleports go up all over alpha as predator and prey call for reinfocements .. battle is afoot.

Now the escape teleport for this mission is right where you jumped in - the only way your getting out is through your enemy. You also know that this mission is worth over half a billion nic if you can hold the field and bring in the miners. A new battle arena has been created and its time to see who can kick ***.

The enemy is already jumping in miners. They have done their own scan and can see there is Epi here but know as soon as the mission gets handed in the location ID changes and theres only a way out and not a way in - they dont want to win the fight and lose the epi.

Now tell me .. does that sound more like fun PVE or not?

For this the devs would need to:

>Make 9 small islands and populate them with decoration and red spawns

Give each of these islands a server location which changes after each mission

>Allow beacons to be able to put an ID in to jump to a server location

>Change the mission description

>Once you have your 9 islands copy them a hundred times making some PvP capable, some have epi, some have star beacon style rats etc

To me that doesn't sound a lot of work - god knows you could spoend a lot of time making many different island types and making them look awesome but barebones islands that can be improved over time to start is fine.

36 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2014-08-13 05:51:37)

Celebro wrote:

I have been here for over 3 years, we have given loads of good feedback, but ultimately they do what they think is right, so why beat a dead horse again and again. Either way development is too slow for a MMO.

This right here is the sad fact of this game. Perpetuum was a great Idea just developed to slowly sad

Tonnik wrote:
T3xasp3t3 wrote:

all i'm looking for is

Do we believe a CSM system would work:

IF so how many members would be on it see above

if we do try and set this up how do we convene the DEVs to start this asap

It won't work. It's been tried. They don't listen and what they do change they roll back.

I feel dirty doing this but .... Jita is right. the community has on a number of occasions had CSM like interactions with the DEVs told them the issues & given very well thought out & constructed fixes for said issues.

DEVs still did what they thought was right & nothing really changed.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Will never happen.  Developers in the past had to deal with "bat phone" accusations.  This game is far too small and intimate and the politics ensure that no community manager would ever be trusted as fair.

Its just a huge can of worms.  Just use the ignore function to shelter yourself from people you don't want to see.  SImple as that.  Were all big boys here...

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

38 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2014-08-13 09:15:46)

Burial wrote:

There used to be few players who would've been perfect for CSM positions(Ludlow, Tux and few others), sadly they don't play right now.

Nice of you to say so Burial. I do still play, I just rarely undock. I build stuff and sell it ... slowly.

Like a lot of others though I'm (and I hate to say it) a bit bored. There's little to do.

In a game like this one the waiting between PvP engagements has to be filled with something and meaningful PvE content is severely lacking.

The frustrating thing for me is that all the mechanics exist in the game already to make PvE content much much more interesting. The Devs, however, seem to lack the imagination to use those mechanics creatively to do so.

Edit: Reword last paragraph, confusing grammar

CSM in Eve is a joke..... CCP did it just to pacify the masses and they throw a few token scraps out to make everyone think it is worth a damn.....

TBH most player feedback at this point is useless.... There are far too few people playing to give a good UNBIASED sampling of what the players think is good for the game or what balancing changes may need to be looked into....

At this point feedback about most game mechanics becomes a mud slinging contest regardless of which side of the political landscape you play in. It has become a game of who can kick and scream the loudest and how much feces can be thrown at someone........

Very few people in this game have the integrity to step up and support the feedback/ideas of an opposing faction member. Until alliances and corp tags can be set aside for the good of the game then our feedback means nothing.....

Inappropriate signature.

Scyylla wrote:

CSM in Eve is a joke..... CCP did it just to pacify the masses and they throw a few token scraps out to make everyone think it is worth a damn.....

TBH most player feedback at this point is useless.... There are far too few people playing to give a good UNBIASED sampling of what the players think is good for the game or what balancing changes may need to be looked into....

At this point feedback about most game mechanics becomes a mud slinging contest regardless of which side of the political landscape you play in. It has become a game of who can kick and scream the loudest and how much feces can be thrown at someone........

Very few people in this game have the integrity to step up and support the feedback/ideas of an opposing faction member. Until alliances and corp tags can be set aside for the good of the game then our feedback means nothing.....

I disagree with this statement whole heartedly!  Mainly because he's in STC.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:
Scyylla wrote:

I disagree with this statement whole heartedly!  Mainly because he's in STC.

You should petition. It sounds very offensive.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

The frustrating thing for me is that all the mechanics exist in the game already to make PvE content much much more interesting. The Devs, however, seem to lack the imagination to use those mechanics creatively to do so.

That's spot on and exactly how I feel. I do believe the game could be made a lot more fun if the developers could be pointed to the right direction. Sadly even the best attempts get overwhelmed by cynicism and trolling.

Burial wrote:
Ludlow Bursar wrote:

That's spot on and exactly how I feel. I do believe the game could be made a lot more fun if the developers could be pointed to the right direction. Sadly even the best attempts get overwhelmed by cynicism and trolling.

I think so too. A week of Dev work on a few things would turn this game around but seems like PVE is forever going to be a pipe dream to come six months after gamma nobody cares about. By then it will be too late.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I'm sure certain individuals and corporations that can't even ninja-mine successfully would be grateful for nice safe "missions" with 60M epri fields in them.

The level of pathetic has gone to ludicrously funny. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Jita wrote:
Burial wrote:
Ludlow Bursar wrote:

I think so too. A week of Dev work on a few things would turn this game around but seems like PVE is forever going to be a pipe dream to come six months after gamma nobody cares about. By then it will be too late.

+1

+1
-Confucius

T3xasp3t3 wrote:

Would a system like eve's CSM system work for perp

the latest posts in this topic are hopefully a good example to you why it wouldn't work, at all.