Topic: Map editor

I'm curious if this is possible and if your willing to do it.  Since it takes a long time.  Would the development team be open to allowing your customers design a few beta or alpha islands and submit them to you for tweeking, npc placement and balancing?  Similar to age of empires map editors.  I'm totally cool if you say hell no.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: Map editor

That would be cool, but it would need a lot of development first, because we can't give you the internal tools that we're working with.

Could you add them to a test server - it would be nice to build NPC instances for possible new missions

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Some of these tools are in the client, like terraforming and placing decorations. But that's pretty much it, the rest of what's needed for creating an island is very rudimentary (imagine a website with numeric input fields), we'd need to make long documentations of it otherwise you wouldn't understand, split it somehow from all of the other admin stuff that you shouldn't see, and so on.

it would be good if you could add the decorations and allow island creation. We could then build an instance ourselves that could have the npc's added at a later date.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

6 (edited by Ville 2014-08-07 17:19:59)

Right!

-Another thought would be just rending Pre determined maps, (kinda small) not the enourmous Gamma maps but something small.  So you give up say 6 maps you have already done the admin stuff on the back side with.  We take those 6 maps and then place decorations etc.. on them.  We each pull the maps and then start working on the either individual or on corperation level and then submit back to you and see what you think.

- Also think up the parameter settings so you won't spend 2 weeks editing, like ...  We don't want to see straight highways.  We don't want to see decoration spam, we want sprawling zones, or we want to see X number of this.  We don't want to see offensive stuff(obvious *** island fun land is out).  How many terminals per island, what the distance from Terminal to teleport should be, Highway to terminal placement zones recommended distance.

-This would be additionally handy for two things.  1 you see what the players want to see(lazy mode engaged!) and you might get some additional islands.

-Would you ever think of seeing MPC structures within alpha?  Like the little neat tidy villages?

Edit: Just reread what you wrote on something bigger than a 4" screen.  Bummer on the internal tools sad

Great idea Ville!

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

well, for the terrain, you need two things
1. a free sculpting software tha allows working on hightmap
2. a shader for that software that allows  wysiwyg editing of the terrain with the original terrain textures.

the only issue i see, is the the low resolution of perps hightmap. (could have at least twice the resolution of the world-grid)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

well, for the terrain, you need two things
1. a free sculpting software tha allows working on hightmap
2. a shader for that software that allows  wysiwyg editing of the terrain with the original terrain textures.

the only issue i see, is the the low resolution of perps hightmap. (could have at least twice the resolution of the world-grid)

Sounds like Anni is on top of it for you Zoom. wink

ok, correction - a second shader is necessary for displaying slope restrictions.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

ok, correction - a second shader is necessary for displaying slope restrictions.

Do you develop games?

nope, but i have already tried to figure out how to get perps worldmap into supreme commander (1) as skirmish map 1:1 in size.

the use of hightmap is not that uncommon, and the use of shaders based on the mesh normals was something i played with in C4D 15 years ago.

watching some Z-Brush tutorials also gives you a hint on whats possible with expensive software, and watching the YT video of Siddy using a Cintiq to draw the hoko tournament Arena back in beta showed how fuggly the DEV tools are wink

13 (edited by Gremrod 2014-08-07 20:31:52)

Annihilator wrote:

nope, but i have already tried to figure out how to get perps worldmap into supreme commander (1) as skirmish map 1:1 in size.

the use of hightmap is not that uncommon, and the use of shaders based on the mesh normals was something i played with in C4D 15 years ago.

watching some Z-Brush tutorials also gives you a hint on whats possible with expensive software, and watching the YT video of Siddy using a Cintiq to draw the hoko tournament Arena back in beta showed how fuggly the DEV tools are wink

Ah okay. I thought you know what you were saying from experience as a game developer. But very cool on the whole video watching and trying to get the map into another game. wink

Also I didn't think the dev tools where fuggly they are made perfect for using a pen like Siddy is using in the video. Now when I used them during closed beta I did not have a pen and it felt a bit clunky to me.

I put months into making maps for AoE2.  So much fun.

i made many maps for Earth2150 for myself. that terrain engine comes pretty close to what we have here. you could even terraform ingame and dig tunnels (single 2d underground level)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Some of these tools are in the client, like terraforming and placing decorations. But that's pretty much it, the rest of what's needed for creating an island is very rudimentary (imagine a website with numeric input fields), we'd need to make long documentations of it otherwise you wouldn't understand, split it somehow from all of the other admin stuff that you shouldn't see, and so on.

How about you publish the specs, let us figure it out and have us build the tools?

Doek wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

How about you publish the specs, let us figure it out and have us build the tools?

+1

18 (edited by Burial 2014-08-08 13:18:51)

DEV Zoom wrote:

That would be cool, but it would need a lot of development first, because we can't give you the internal tools that we're working with.

Can't we just use any from the numerous tools available to build simple heightmaps? You could give us simple pointers about the output. We could hold a competition and best ones get delivered to you for structure and NPC placement.