Topic: Error-Popup on game launch (Steam & normal client)

When i log in, the game throws a pop-up window at me telling me it is 'Unable to load settings.txt'. Closing the window is no use, it just reapears.

Is there a fix for that?

Re: Error-Popup on game launch (Steam & normal client)

We don't have, use or need a "settings.txt". Must be something else.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Do you launch through Steam?

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Sorry for the late replay, i spend a few days at the sea.

I use both clients, steam and the normal one and both pop up the same Error-Window. Perpetuum is the only game or application that triggers this error.

I made some screenshots:

Steam-Client

Standard Client

As Gargaj explained there is no way that Perpetuum throws this error since it simply does not have such an error implemented, nor a settings.txt file.

It could be another program that runs or tries to run when you start Perpetuum. Antivirus software, some videocard utility, or something else. In worst case it could be a virus too.

6 (edited by Celebro 2014-07-17 15:35:43)

Had a similar error not related to the game though I don't remember the exact error. Try and reinstall the game by going to the game properties on steam - local files -delete local game content, game will download by itself.

Make sure your gfx drivers is up to date and/or change the screen resolution see if that works.

If all else fails I think it might be a Steam issue so as a last resort reinstall steam. Edit Nvm you have the same error on the standard client. Make sure you have least possible programs running on the background, like anti-virus-firewall etc.

RIP PERPETUUM

PC is running an up to date Win 7, all drivers are the latest stable versions as well. Every other game or application runs just fine (as perpetuum did till the the 7th of july).

I'm going to try installing the standard client with a fresh download to another disk.

Is there a local path where Perpetuum stores any game settings?

Vedrana Goshtal wrote:

PC is running an up to date Win 7, all drivers are the latest stable versions as well. Every other game or application runs just fine (as perpetuum did till the the 7th of july).

I'm going to try installing the standard client with a fresh download to another disk.

Is there a local path where Perpetuum stores any game settings?

Local settings are stored in local.gbf

You can literally just copy the folder to another one to make extra copies to run multiple clients.  It's one of the great design features of the game.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

9 (edited by Vedrana Goshtal 2014-07-17 17:03:37)

Sadly the new game install did not help either... the error is tiggerd by the new Perpetuum install as well fuuu

It must somehow be directly related to the game since is not even possible to end the client (except forcefully killing it via the task manager) befor i close the error window, wich pops back up after a few seconds....

the local.gbf in your perp folder is your settings file

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Have you tried going to the install location of the perpetuum folder and creating a settings.txt file there? If this still happens after that I would also try on the steam client of perpetuum.

No matter what I would say that points to something other program running when you run perpetuum and it is missing the settings.txt file maybe....

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Found a lot of threads on this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s … ?t=1269719

My guess it is something with your steam client.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23