Re: Beacon activation and ownership

Simpler and elegant solution is to make beacons only deployable on Beta.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Simpler and elegant solution is to make beacons only deployable on Beta.

Tokens would be worth nothing then and may as well be removed from game. If beacons are so profitable and abused why don't you do them?

Don't be ridiculous, tokens are the easiest way to aquire big amounts of pvp ammo so they will always have a value, plus people who live on beta/gamma would buy them to get beacons to process.

Beacons are very profitable. I know that better then you. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, tokens are the easiest way to aquire big amounts of pvp ammo so they will always have a value, plus people who live on beta/gamma would buy them to get beacons to process.

Beacons are very profitable. I know that better then you. lol

Don't be an idiot Cindy, wait, too late.

Even when I ran 1000's of beacons simultaneously on Gamma I never whined for beacons to only be Beta or Gamma and screw the Alpha peeps.  Beacons are very profitable. I know this better than you, lol. Beta only is the dumbest troll from you in awhile, normally you disguise them with a touch of intelligence, but hey, even CIR evacs gamma bases once in awhile.

Cassius

When you were turtled up on Gamma there was nobody on alpha.

Different time, different mechanics.

Gamma was safer then Alpha at the time. Explosion damage worked without destroying loot.

Today, Alpha is perfectly safe and the amount of beacons you can process per hour is greater then what you can process per hour on Beta.

Risk vs reward - it is completely broken, there is no incentive whatsoever to go to Beta except for Epriton.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Different time, different mechanics.

Gamma was safer then Alpha at the time. Explosion damage worked without destroying loot.

Today, Alpha is perfectly safe and the amount of beacons you can process per hour is greater then what you can process per hour on Beta.

Risk vs reward - it is completely broken, there is no incentive whatsoever to go to Beta except for Epriton.

So long as the way to get beacons is regulated beaconing on Alpha can never be overpowered. There is an inherent time sink in getting beacons and since alpha requires you to actually 'lock targets and shoot' instead of other more out of the box methods it seems working as intended.

Doing beacons on beta has three problems right now - explosion damage makes them easily abused, they dont drop cans when they die to explosion damage and there is no extra bonus for doing them without explosion damage.

Removing rat on rat explosion damage everywhere in the game alongside boosting beta plasma drops by 50% (including normal NPC's) would fix all these issues as well as making ratting on beta in general worthwhile.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Alpha requires you to pay no attention and is inherently open to a whole host of 3rd party utilities.

There is no risk, only reward.

The reward is considerably better then Beta since its:
a) Faster
b) No risk
c) A macro doesn't get tired
d) Repair bots can't die to explosion

Supply cannot be throttled because while Im running 1 beacon on Alpha I've already earned 2 more in tokens.

It's a broken NIC faucet with zero risk.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Alpha requires you to pay no attention and is inherently open to a whole host of 3rd party utilities.

There is no risk, only reward.

The reward is considerably better then Beta since its:
a) Faster
b) No risk
c) A macro doesn't get tired
d) Repair bots can't die to explosion

Supply cannot be throttled because while Im running 1 beacon on Alpha I've already earned 2 more in tokens.

It's a broken NIC faucet with zero risk.

This is absolutely no different than mining has been for years. Macroing is largely a made up problem that your attempting to metagame alpha with. Changing beacons wouldn't help, you could do the same thing with mining or high level spawns.

None of these problems would be as pronounced if you hadn't spent time ruining the red spawn system.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Mining fields and spawns are fixed values which don't scale in the slightest with more accounts.

Beacons however, drastically scale with more accounts.

Mobs not generating hate towards an account using remote-repair/remote transfer/remote amplify only increases the macroability of this.

Zero risk, maximum reward.
vs
Maximum risk, most of the reward gets destroyed by explosion damage.

Balanced? Nope.

CIR Complaint Form

May I add to this discussion by saying that in Eve missions or ratting sites, logi-ships DO get aggro all the time. The rats switch aggro randomly I believe.

Running sites or missions with a logi-account is therefore not feasible. As a new player I found it hilariously easy to grind even heavy mech sites in an Artemis with fairly low skills.

I don't know if it's intended that a 2 month-old player can earn 60mil NIC that easily and in a fairly short amount of time (like, 3 or 4 hours). I don't even have the skills yet, but have a Seth and a Lithus lying around, not to mention my logi-account is already in a Riveler, everything T4'ed of course...

Kim Cho wrote:

May I add to this discussion by saying that in Eve missions or ratting sites, logi-ships DO get aggro all the time. The rats switch aggro randomly I believe.

Running sites or missions with a logi-account is therefore not feasible. As a new player I found it hilariously easy to grind even heavy mech sites in an Artemis with fairly low skills.

I don't know if it's intended that a 2 month-old player can earn 60mil NIC that easily and in a fairly short amount of time (like, 3 or 4 hours). I don't even have the skills yet, but have a Seth and a Lithus lying around, not to mention my logi-account is already in a Riveler, everything T4'ed of course...

It didn't used to be that way but CIR and 77 abused the agro mechanic to grief people on alpha and the devs had to dumb it down until it could be fixed. They are planning on changing it back afaik but its just a matter of when.

You cannot abuse mechanics.

You can only use mechanics that are in-game. That's the nature of the sandbox.

Just like sitting with the suspect flag on the undock in Hek.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

You cannot abuse mechanics.

You can only use mechanics that are in-game. That's the nature of the sandbox.

Just like sitting with the suspect flag on the undock in Hek.

That's like saying beating someone to death with a wrench is OK because the person who made the wrench should have planned in advance for that despite it being clear what the wrench is actually for. In fact its irresponsible of the wrench designer and totally not the fault of the person holding the wrench as they were just using a tool that's badly designed.

Take some responsibility ***.

Jita wrote:

It didn't used to be that way but CIR and 77 abused the agro mechanic to grief people on alpha and the devs had to dumb it down until it could be fixed. They are planning on changing it back afaik but its just a matter of when.

I feel there would have been a better way... besides, what's the problem with griefing?

- suicide ganking
- miner bumping
- scamming

Are all well alive and kicking in Eve and the game isn't dead yet. Not everything has to be fixed just because some people whine about it imho...

Kim Cho wrote:
Jita wrote:

I feel there would have been a better way... besides, what's the problem with griefing?

- suicide ganking
- miner bumping
- scamming

Are all well alive and kicking in Eve and the game isn't dead yet. Not everything has to be fixed just because some people whine about it imho...

I dont think it was a major problem. The rats were very low level and only really a problem to afk / macro people and lwf scarabs.

It did however make people quit the game. I witnessed an alliance member rage quit over STC doing it. I dont think you have to have griefing in a sandbox really but im not totally against it provided its reasonably balanced against people quitting.

Personally I find it frustrating switching to Alpha to farm versus farming npcs on Beta.  sad .  I hope something is changed soon.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

Personally I find it frustrating switching to Alpha to farm versus farming npcs on Beta.  sad .  I hope something is changed soon.

Why? Because it's too easy or because Beta earns even more?

Its about nic/hour versus risk.  A fitted Mesmer MK2 costs round 150 million + Logi round 75 million + transport 50 million.  The good spawns are in the middle of the island or far corners.  I risk a quarter billion Nic to farm.  With interzones and log offs its not worth it.  Take into account explosions causing light bots not procing a can, sad .  I used to farm observers and caravans, they dropped T4 and beacons.  But the beacons aren't worth farming.  Its just not worth it.

Ville wrote:

I think a +50% increase in plasma coupled with the removal of explosion damage for rat on rat would make both ratting and bacons viable on beta. Maybe even make it +100% until we start to see ratting out there again.

Its easier for me to sit on Alpha and farm with 0 risk.  Get random T4s and achieve the same thing.

147 (edited by Ville 2014-07-08 14:32:39)

Jita wrote:
Ville wrote:

I think a +50% increase in plasma coupled with the removal of explosion damage for rat on rat would make both ratting and bacons viable on beta. Maybe even make it +100% until we start to see ratting out there again.

I'd like to see easier to kill T5 spawns so they can increase the Nic per hour on Beta.  If I could make 150 million Nic an hour, in just plasma it would be worth it.

*Editted:

Ratting in an Arbalest MK2 for a spawn of T5s could be profitable!

Heavy Orange spawns -750 to 1000M away from terminals and light/assault 500-750M off of alpha gates.

Ville wrote:

Its easier for me to sit on Alpha and farm with 0 risk.  Get random T4s and achieve the same thing.

Short of removing Alpha completely there's nothing to be done about that other than balancing the reward.

I would make the word 'farm' nonsensical in relation to NPCs and instead make the word 'hunt' more appropriate.

Jita wrote:
Ville wrote:

Short of removing Alpha completely there's nothing to be done about that other than balancing the reward.

Well we had beacons... But someone...