Re: Gamma highways

Was it updated, on Friday it could not power 3 nodes without running out of power.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Didn't know the update is out already, but it is then smile

Annihilator wrote:

not tested yet:
PvP/PvE around highways in conjunction with the turret AI update (i have noticed an exploding NPC damaging a building eventually draws aggro from the turrets against the NPC faction)

That's an interesting question indeed.

edit: Although it doesn't work based on factions, but individuals. And since the NPC that damages the building dies at the same time, I don't think this is a problem. (And maybe there is a hard exception for NPCs even.)

yeah, really TOO BAD that there is an exception for NPCs.
really, thats what is missing to create "immersion" in this game - NPCs fighting each others, including my defense towers stopping those superiour observers shooting down my wall because the new AI now doesn't stop shooting because of destructible obstacles are between them and the player.

btw, i wonder why that has not created an uproar already in that AI topic wink

but back on topic. due to the lag, i could not tell if i got the station alert because the NPCs exploded close enough to a highway node, or just on the highway.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

btw, i wonder why that has not created an uproar already in that AI topic wink

but back on topic. due to the lag, i could not tell if i got the station alert because the NPCs exploded close enough to a highway node, or just on the highway.

Wait turrets shot npcs??  I mean  there are only a handful of people testing.

@Zoom have you looked over the listed item?  I'm really concerned about the energy wells not being able to have out going connection.

Ville: we have given extra outgoing connections for command relays instead, just missed the standard one for now (it should be 2/3, not 2/1).

edit: only the market info is wrong, the building itself has 2/3 connections.

Awesome, most people run 1 reactor to 2 battery's and 1 mining well is not strong enough to power it.

Anni what do you power your highways first node with?  We are using battery's but they aren't making it past the third node?

58 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-22 23:54:20)

Ville wrote:

Anni what do you power your highways first node with?  We are using battery's but they aren't making it past the third node?

set your highway offline until all of them are charged, or the first node will exhaust from charging the later ones, while they already consume.
it also looks like your highway is at least one node to long.

oh, and using multiple batteries sounds like a bad idea -> they burn through your limited energy income unless all thouse hundres of buffer accumulators (in every building) are charged.

edit: really, you should avoid putting batteries with 30% output transfer loss behind buildings that consume ap permanently like booster or highway nodes. that way you increase your bases standby consumption by 30%...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Can I ask you put this stuff on the wiki anni for those who may be bothered in the future?

60 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-23 00:57:03)

well, when i have figured out the math, and someone can prove it.

I don't know exactly how that "Energy Transfer efficiency" works,
but my assumption is, that when a recieving nod requests "30AP" and the sending node as an efficency of "96%", that it will send 30AP/0.96 = 31,25 AP from its accumulator to that requesting node.

now when you chain up 15 nodes with that efficieny, and the last one consumes 30AP, the first one has to send
30AP * (0.96^(-14)) to fullfill the demand - thats ~53AP.
14 hops with compound interest.

now you need to cosider that every node consumes AP itself, and when that total sum exceeds the maximum Energy output of 360AP (minus the nodes own consumption!) a node, that is not the first one, will run dry because the previous node in chain wont be able to supply the demand, and the highway becomes instable.

edit: highways power consumption seems to be dependant on the range of the connection too... mad
and highways "remove" manually deployed concrete...

I forgot to mention one very important mechanic: the energy consumption of a highway node increases by 1% for every tile (10m) of distance to the next node. (So this affects the consumption of the sender node.)

For example if two nodes are 900m away from each other then the first node (the sender) will have 190% energy consumption.

So the "dilemma" here is to decide whether you want them to consume less energy and place them closer (and needing more of them) at a higher NIC+bandwidth cost, or to place them far from each other, where you need less of them at the cost of more energy consumed.

Zoom, from the devs stand point, how long do you envision the highway system to be?

One line from the center of the island to the edge of it, with a little extra, something like that. How many of these lines is of course entirely up to you, depends how much of the colony resources you are willing to assign to it. The "root limiter" for this will be probably the number of terminals you can place on a zone.

Awesome!  That gives us an idea of how much to test it.

65 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-23 09:22:09)

DEV Zoom wrote:

So the "dilemma" here is to decide whether you want them to consume less energy and place them closer (and needing more of them) at a higher NIC+bandwidth cost, or to place them far from each other, where you need less of them at the cost of more energy consumed.

hmm, lets check if that dilemma exists, comparing a T3 2x900m connection with a t3 3x600m connection, using the math from above:

• three nodes, two consume 30*1.9=57 AP, the last one 30AP
    first one is suplied from energy node = 57AP
    second one is supplied from first = 57AP * 0.96^- 1 = 59.375 AP
    third one is supplied from second = 30AP * 0.96^-2 = 31.25 AP
    summed up, this connection consumes 147.625 AP / 30s

• four nodes total with 3 of them consuming 30*1.6= 48 AP
    First one 48
    second one 50
    third one 52
    fourth one  33.90
    summed up, this connection consumes 183.9 AP

seems... no dilemma

DEV Zoom wrote:

One line from the center of the island to the edge of it, with a little extra, something like that. How many of these lines is of course entirely up to you, depends how much of the colony resources you are willing to assign to it. The "root limiter" for this will be probably the number of terminals you can place on a zone.

it looks more like the root limiter is how much power can be transfered by the first node in a chain.
don't you dare to make one highway spit up into two directions outside your 1km terminal building limit.

(edit: do you know what happens when your write "0.96^- 1" without that space ? roll)

missing:
a, connection length - if it has an impact on power consumption, the length of the connection should be written there
b, highway nodes do not list their own consumption in their planner-info
c, road signs big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/aajTidj.jpg

This was after an hour.  I even let Every node fill a bit before connecting the next.  It needs more Energy ladies.

Ville wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/aajTidj.jpg

This was after an hour.  I even let Every node fill a bit before connecting the next.  It needs more Energy ladies.

why did you make that loop there at the teleporter? just as proof that a chain of that length would fail, or because you  didn't consider that the highway would need more power that way compared to when you would have made it split and  join again?

i think i have to make a picture with anotations wink

The main reason I did that was I was fighting npcs and my perfered destination was blocked.  After I killed the mobs I put the nodes. 

The reason I didn't kill the mobs at first, the test server hates two or more clients.  I didn't want to run back to the base.

I put the next nodes were I wanted them after returning back to the base.

http://i.imgur.com/cedQwFA.jpg

Still not stable.

I could try to explain you why, now that i have figured out most of the "hungarian" math used on those highway nodes.

But for that probably would need to make pretty pictures, and wonder if its even worth to explain?

in short - as it is now, you probably wont be able to build a really long highway that is stable across the island without using multiple terminals. Use them to accelerate your movent within your 2km diameter base and for reliable concrete placement against unpredictable tree growing next to your terminal smile

Annihilator wrote:

I could try to explain you why, now that i have figured out most of the "hungarian" math used on those highway nodes.

But for that probably would need to make pretty pictures, and wonder if its even worth to explain?

in short - as it is now, you probably wont be able to build a really long highway that is stable across the island without using multiple terminals. Use them to accelerate your movent within your 2km diameter base and for reliable concrete placement against unpredictable tree growing next to your terminal smile

Then why even use them?

i haven't tried yet, but a circle road around your base, with exact 1.5 km radius could be intresting... like a warning "until here and not further - closer and you get shot on sight by invisible laser beams"

Ville wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Then why even use them?

I blame Obi.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Learning from our experience with walls, we take some caution with letting highways loose. Players always find ways to push the limits, which might make it work out just right. If not, we can always tone down the limits later, but it's always harder the other way around.

In other news, we have considerably increased their armor resistance values, which will go out with the next sync.