Re: Gamma highways

TBH, the highways should be able to be built as close to teleporters as 500M.  If not they are basically pointless as highways to "No-Where"

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

TBH, the highways should be able to be built as close to teleporters as 500M.  If not they are basically pointless as highways to "No-Where"

Yes it will be like this, we just forgot to do an exception for them.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

what are these "red" no build areas?

On the test server you can see this on the only gamma island there, if you set the map to show passable terrain. It's an area where you can't terraform and most of the buildings can't be deployed.

Sweet. Is it a bug or just me coz the parts of the island i walked around has a sea of red hatching every where i went.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

It should be only along the coastline with around 2km width.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

Yes it will be like this, we just forgot to do an exception for them.

really?  Sweet!

To be more exact, the exception will include highway nodes, energy wells, and mining outposts.

So in theory if you place a command relay to the edge of the red zone, you should be able to place energy wells and mining outposts to most of the red zone and connect them to your network. (Command relay connection radius is 2-2.5 km.) But I'll post this into the main gamma topic too once it can be tested.

ok, i have built my first highway on PTS. activating works nice, the grafical representation is not bad and the tooltips are cryptic as always wink

Personally, i would love if plants within the line would automatically destroyed upon activation, but with the new ability to shoot them down thats just a QoL feature. Someone has already mentioned that he would try to use that to clear nora fields, but IMHO, when he was able to place to highway nodes and activate them... he could have shot the field with weapons for much less NIC...

question - did the server learn to use vector grafics to enable this highway painting?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

That depends on how you define vector graphics. It's a formula that draws a capsule-shaped bitmap.

34 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-03 20:39:42)

in raster grafics, you store every pixel.
in vector grafics you store the coordinates of two or more points and the information of what shape they should define. the picture is then calculated from that information.

i am asking this, because of a convo i head with you some time ago in Q&A about ore-deposits.

edit: link

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

can you please lift the 2km restrictions around teleporter? makes no sense anymore when you already paint the area red, and due to the old limit, its impossible build a highway node closer then 2km to a teleporter

please rebalance the power consumption of highway nodes compared to their transfer.
ever since the PTS server came back online, my few highway nodes go on and off because they transfer energy to the end of the line, then one at the beggining runs out of AP and shuts down. then before that one goes online again, one towards the end is empty again.

i have connected two reactors with T3 backbone connections directly into the highway via two nodes, that should be enough to prevent me from micromanaging the highway.

IMO the highways shouldn't work off network bandwidth.  Or need power.  Just an overall island cap IMO.

Ville wrote:

IMO the highways shouldn't work off network bandwidth.  Or need power.  Just an overall island cap IMO.

Why?

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

39 (edited by Burial 2014-08-16 16:17:29)

I don't get it either.

There needs to be a limit on how many highway nodes can be placed on an island or we end up with islands that are filled with them. Bandwidth and energy requirement is ideal for that.

Will the highway nodes also stop the plants from growing around them? Would be great if it did.

Burial wrote:

I don't get it either.

There needs to be a limit on how many highway nodes can be placed on an island or we end up with islands that are filled with them. Bandwidth and energy requirement is ideal for that.

Will the highway nodes also stop the plants from growing around them? Would be great if it did.

Don'T get it either.

and yes, plants wont grow there due to the concrete layer that is placed automatically. once a plant dies in the area, the empty tile will automatically be filled with concrete. I also think plants that exist on the path will also die on the next plant-grow dice-roll.

Burial wrote:

I don't get it either.

I think he was saying hard cap it by island so you have a limit but it's not linked to station services (correct me if I'm wrong) and I just wondered why that would be better.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Yes hard cap per island.  I'm just worried about how much the highways will cost me.

After some testing, I think the effective range of highway nodes needs to be increased(about 1.5 to 2 times). With the current stats, it's quite hard to fit decently sized highways on islands without greatly whoring out bandwidth.

I still don't think there should be a hard cap on the highways though. It's up to people to decide how much convenience they want to sacrifice for defenses.

they could lower the bandwidth a little bit.
for 20km high-tech highway you need 18000 Tibi/s,

1500 TiBi/s if you use standard highways.
42 AP/s (+10% loss on each node) for them, when a standard energy well provides 100 AP/s

if you want to boost your speed in your own base - the effect corridor is 110m wide, thats plenty to make your whole base covered when you cosider that all buildings need to be within 1km radius around the terminal.

the biggest issue i see with them atm is really their power transfer rate compared to their own consumption.

They will be updated with the next sync.
Their energy capacity and transfer have been multiplied, and their bandwidth cost also has been reduced.
Their connection range limit is lowered especially for the basic one.

"Rock is OP. Paper is okay." - Scissors

when will the next sync be?

what means "lowered" ?
currently its 800m,
with 10 of them you can cover 8km range but suffer an energy loss of 100% across that distance. if my math is not totally wrong, that means the 10th node needs twice as much energy as the first one. Which means that the length of a highway chain is limited by the maximum power transfer per cycle of the first node.

Ville - there you got your limit to maxium highways in a chain.

There was a sync now (in theory).

49 (edited by Annihilator 2014-08-20 00:56:14)

oh, yay!

now its 600/750/900 m connection range,
each nodes consumes 1/6th of the AP it can send to the next one per cycle.

that means the longest stable straight highway possible is now 3.6 km (5 t3 nodes), instead 2km (3 t3 nodes),
if not less.
note: i am counting distance starting from the last node that recieves AP from a backbone connection, which in theory reaches 500m outside of your terminal construction area

is that your goal, Alf?

Update: power consumption now seems to be acceptable with 1/15 of max power transfer.

transfer efficiency now 95/96/97 % for T1/T2/T3 -> thats a nice improvement too.

now, a last thing that could make a long highway more stable: allow us to adjust the minimum jumpstart level between 50% and 99% on highway nodes.

not tested yet:
PvP/PvE around highways in conjunction with the turret AI update (i have noticed an exploding NPC damaging a building eventually draws aggro from the turrets against the NPC faction)