Re: Detection / Masking

when it takes two months for such a simple change as this to not even hit the server and they still don't understand something fundamental its probably time to give up posting and start fire bombing.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

it was not even fully implementd on the test server, last time it was accessible. PTS is also down more then a week now.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

And then I put a masker on a light bot.

lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

79 (edited by Burial 2014-09-06 16:12:15)

What's the status on this?

If you want to make it easy on yourself without reinventing the wheel:
1) Increase detector CPU usage by 50. (Unable to fit Detector and speed nexus)
2) Increase detector weight by 500kg. (Castel MK2 speed is brought down by 10km/h)
3) Decrease detector and masker's modification from 55% to 25%.

Why exactly should detector be any heavier and harder to fit than Maskers?
Because 1 detector is able to detect for a whole fleet, masker on the other hand has to be fitted on every single bot on the fleet. Other option is to make maskers work similarly to Nexuses, so one bot is able to mask entire vicinity. If that were to happen, apply the restrictions to maskers as well.

I would increase its energy use based upon the same kind of thing maskers have to. The idea would be no matter the bot or fit you can't run it forever so think percentage of recharge. Incremental little fixes should turn scouting in to something you actively do not sit on a gate or station with a forever running detector that's unkillable.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita, you mean like something "active detection requires you to stand still (100% demob) and active shields lower active detection effect (-90%)"

or just "detection buff costs you x AP/s" just like maskers do?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

Jita, you mean like something "active detection requires you to stand still (100% demob) and active shields lower active detection effect (-90%)"

or just "detection buff costs you x AP/s" just like maskers do?

well most detectors on gates stand still already, i just think maskers have a good feature that scales its energy use depending on the size of the bot. My aim would be to have detection something you use sporadically and strategically rather than always on.

The aim of this alongside a few other little changes is to stop alt detectors on gates and stations from having it so easy. Its a viable tactic but should require you to be awake.

totally, agree.

i am still for groups of High protector NPCs to spawn around inter-island teleports if a player stays to long there wink
including versions with shields.

This is the problem.

lol couldn't agree more

you could have placed that circle around each teleporter to also show the issue of gate scouts

87 (edited by Burial 2014-09-06 15:51:31)

Jita wrote:

I would increase its energy use based upon the same kind of thing maskers have to. The idea would be no matter the bot or fit you can't run it forever so think percentage of recharge. Incremental little fixes should turn scouting in to something you actively do not sit on a gate or station with a forever running detector that's unkillable.

It's actually a pretty solid idea, but the accumulator vs surface size drainage should be way higher than currently with maskers. Why? Because 1 detector can detect for a whole fleet, while maskers have to be fitted on everything.

Annihilator wrote:

you could have placed that circle around each teleporter to also show the issue of gate scouts

Sure, when I get bored again. Result will be absurd. big_smile

Burial wrote:
Jita wrote:

It's actually a pretty solid idea, but the accumulator vs surface size drainage should be way higher than currently with maskers. Why? Because 1 detector can detect for a whole fleet, while maskers have to be fitted on everyone.

Annihilator wrote:

Sure, when I get bored again. Result will be absurd. big_smile

rather than it bieng based on bot size id make it based on recharge rate so you can be sure no matter what the fit it will have the same effect. Detectors are so absurdly overpowered people would just use whatever bot and fit they needed for gate / station detection.

the best masking doesn't help when your already spotted before you can even activate the module - aka the teleporter or under a station.

masking seems only be valid to protect EWAR mech in fleet battles.

Annihilator wrote:

the best masking doesn't help when your already spotted before you can even activate the module - aka the teleporter or under a station.

imo detectors are just so broken they need removing completely really but i cant see that happen.

91 (edited by Burial 2014-09-06 16:22:20)

The detection percentage has to come down one way or the other, I don't see any way around it, and I'm not talking about small peels from the top but massive cuts that would split it in half. They'd still be useful because of the way Signal Detection extension is applied to them. If something sees 40% further than others, it's still very useful. Anyone not admitting that is crying wolf.

Jita wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

imo detectors are just so broken they need removing completely really but i cant see that happen.

Which is pretty sad. The mechanic has a lot of potential, but needs to be tweaked just right.

Jita wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

see my eaerlier post in this topic.

detectors should just counter masking. there is no need to make detectors to increase your sensor range overall. thats whats broken with them.

just like sensor amps should counter sensor supressor, not boost your regular lockign time to something acceptable.

93 (edited by Burial 2014-09-06 16:36:23)

Annihilator wrote:

detectors should just counter masking. there is no need to make detectors to increase your sensor range overall. thats whats broken with them.

We have a winner! Developers, can you make detectors only work against masked bots?

Added suggestion to not inherently make maskers overpowered: Make maskers also apply a small negative detection on user. That way detectors can be used as a counter against masky bots trying to sneak up on someone without them seeing it. If detector is not used, however, masky bots would see the target before it sees them. This needs some math to get just right but creates perfect relationship.

94 (edited by Annihilator 2014-09-06 16:35:49)

the later makes no sense.

masking is for sneaking. also, what does it help you masking, when your blind?
the detection debuff on yourself is just there because how overpowered detectino itself is.

also, remember, when you remove detection increasing your viewing range, that makes that mechanic have no impact wink
BUT, you could allow detectors on masked bots so ninjas fight ninjas

Check my post for explanation. I worded it better.

Is that based on the test server's nerfed detector?

97 (edited by Burial 2014-09-06 16:51:57)

It's based on the live server.

The fix currently on test is not potent enough. It's only a difference from 80% to 62% on detection percentage and the small negative masking doesn't help anything. What good is a small -20% masking reduction if detector can still stay way behind visibility range and keep it's 130km/h speed?

Burial is that based on looking for something at 100?

99 (edited by Burial 2014-09-06 17:04:09)

Jita wrote:

Burial is that based on looking for something at 100?

It's maxed detector against a mech.

I just checked out what detection I can get on Test vs Live. 214.33 detection points. I still see Mechs at ~2.65km vs ~2.9km on live. What the small masking reduction buff does is make the mech see me at 1km instead of 1.25km.

This doesn't fix anything.

Ville wrote:

The detector is part of the problem (being able to scan large areas).

The larger part of the problem is the demob.  Castel mk2s have a great shield tank against anything with guns.  So if the Castel mk2 can intercept you with a demob, an assault but can not kill it solo, and typically speak a pack of assaults of mechs can't kill it with out neuts.

A little exercise, I want you to try.  Take 4 people and go to the test server.  3 people in assault bots and 1 in a castel mk2.

The assault bots should be normally fit.  Sensor Amps, Tuner, demob, LWF, Armor repair, and something else light plate or active hardener.

Use those 3 assault bots to run around the island.  Then use the Castel mk2 to interdict with the assault bots and see if the castel to limit their mobility for a sustained amount of time, basically (1 Minute.)  Then try to kill the castel.

Tell us how it goes.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.