Re: Detection / Masking

A group of light ewars can easily pinch a detector with a 400 M buffer.  I can kite you long enough to cut your escape route off.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Yes but why is that bad?  Every other reasonably fit bot can get caught by a group of light ewars.

I am not saying that light ewars should be able to tackle anything. Actually I think tackling is far too easy in this game and light ewars are too hard to kill (when they have shields).

But why should detectors get special treatment as the untackleables?

+1
-Confucius

1.  The detector has a base speed of 99 and 106.  Ewar tackle goes 130s.
2.  The role of a detector is to scout.  What good is a scout Bot that is seen before he can scout a force?  And if he is seen then the target will just run away.
3.  Its just to easy to nab a detector with these changes.

I agree there shouldn't be 100% safety but this is extreme.

i wonder how all those games work where stealth means that you can get into melee range and backstab someone without beeing seen.

in those games EVERYONE runs stealth, and there is nothing to do for any other class...

my argument is still - just playing with the detection/masking numbers won't fix anything. the mechanics themselfs are to be reviewed.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

What alternative mechanics do you have in mind?

+1
-Confucius

to many. already wrote them down in that topic zoom started, and here too.
even alexadar wrote the same thing down here.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Kaldenines wrote:

Yes but why is that bad?  Every other reasonably fit bot can get caught by a group of light ewars.

I am not saying that light ewars should be able to tackle anything. Actually I think tackling is far too easy in this game and light ewars are too hard to kill (when they have shields).

But why should detectors get special treatment as the untackleables?

Any change that makes entire robots and modules worthless is bad.

This change makes detector modules worthless.

A properly fit tackle goes 140+kph. If a properly fit tackle going 140+kph can't tackle a detector going 130kph then there's "client side issues".

Why aren't these untackleable castel mk2's running around my island? Because we tackle them and kill them.

Who will use detectors on castel mk2's after this change? Nobody.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Additionally, if you absolutely can't stop yourselves from effectively destroying a module in this fashion, this change should definitely be followed with extension EP reimbursement for Signal Detection.

CIR Complaint Form

There will be no EP reimbursement for Signal Detection. In fact the extension is even more important because it helps you remain undetected.

"Rock is OP. Paper is okay." - Scissors

35 (edited by Gremrod 2014-06-23 20:02:50)

DEV Alf wrote:

There will be no EP reimbursement for Signal Detection. In fact the extension is even more important because it helps you remain undetected.

Only talking the masking debuff for the detecting bot here.

Instead of having the detecting bot show as a solid dot on the radar 100% all the time. Could it be done more of a ping like the probes. So its more of hey over here then silence for a few seconds then a ping again over here type mechanic?

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

DEV Alf wrote:

Of course not. Combined with the Ewar nerf into oblivion its like you specifically targeted every ability on my non-gun character. With a single patch 1 million EP are going to be put to waste. Every non-baseline skill is being hit by these two discussions, pretty incredible luck.

Can you give us some foresight into what you are going to 'balance' next so I can steer clear?

37 (edited by Rage Blackout 2014-06-23 21:20:23)

Dev Alf,

You are off your rocker, I think.

...but keep making decisions that piss off the community, why should that change now

referring to the EP not the module change, i like the change

DEV Alf wrote:

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Well AC has to make money some how.  Quick Dev Alf go Nerf something else so the entire playerbase buys credits to respec into something else!

So your reducing detectors range, are you intandeum reducing masking?

yeah i forgot about pay to *** your character after patches

Ville wrote:

Well AC has to make money some how.  Quick Dev Alf go Nerf something else so the entire playerbase buys credits to respec into something else!

So your reducing detectors range, are you intandeum reducing masking?

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

DEV Alf wrote:

Is that the masked fleet that the enemy knows is with the huge elephant on the radar?

DEV Alf wrote:

What helps me remain undetected the most is not equipping the now-useless detector module, and using a masker.

Masked lights were already superior counter-detector detectors, but only by a thin margin which introduced player skill into the equation. Your changes just make them ridiculously superior to the point where fitting a Detector will be equivalent to fitting missile launchers on a Kain.

CIR Complaint Form

You guys are crazy if you think I am the only character in the game specced only into non-DPS roles. This is a giant nerf to those roles, enough to effectively kill it in organized group PVP.

Your argument is that two ewar mechs, fit so that it can only operate while it maintains it lock and within 300m of a friendly ewar mech, can completely shut down one mech and that that is unacceptable. I don't understand your position. You're taking two extreme fits, flown with extreme competence, with zero outside pressure. Of course they can lock down one DPS bot. Do you think two DPS bots cant kill one DPS bot?

I'm really having a hard time understanding what it is exactly you guys feel needs to be adjusted. I'm not talking specifics but more of a top level discussion on balance. Your comments so fa rmake it seem like you feel any two ole Vaga/Zens can pair up and lock down an enemy fleet so that it does zero DPS and that the enemy has no resource to counter this. All the folks who actually PVP regularly with competence are in this thread screaming that this is not the case. Please start listening to them.

Syndic wrote:

Your changes just make them ridiculously superior to the point where fitting a Detector will be equivalent to fitting missile launchers on a Kain.

For those unaware, members of the Dev team believe missile launchers on Kains is a valid fitting for PVP. roams.

Thats right, one of the most difficult to fit bots in the game should have unbonused weapons on it.

44 (edited by Mastablasta 2014-06-23 21:29:29)

I still don't get whats broken/unbalanced about detection or masking.  I get we want to improve things, but there are better things to fix/nerf/buff IMO.  Is there really some giant out cry for change on this? Every one I talk to thinks this is a dumb issue compared with so many others.  Please Dev Alf Tell me why you want to change it. So i can understand this controversy.

Tund: are you sure you're in the right topic?

I think he's went red eyed like the rest of us.

I'm cool with detection reduction as long as maskers are reduced as well, by the same %.  If not a maskers going on everything lol.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Tund: are you sure you're in the right topic?

That post about the Ewar specifically should've been in the other one. I feel like the overall message applies to both pretty well though.

We're not actually discussing anything here. Or at least, there's no discussing going on. You're just repeatedly telling us you will break 2 mechanics because. Doesn't matter how many pages of reasonable arguments and feedbacks are posted, you've made up your mind and that's it.

Just a few weeks ago there were posts on the forum telling you the server-side code was broken and rubberbanding was going on. It still got pushed to live. You've obviously learned nothing from Gamma 1.0, Gamma 1.5, and all the many many blunders you've done over the years.

Why even keep the test server up? A few months down the line we're gonna have that good old talk about "didn't think it would be used that way" anyway. lol

CIR Complaint Form

Syn makes a highly valid point.  We're tired of giving you feedback you don't use.  I'm going to go play with my new tractor.