201 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-05-16 21:35:10)

Re: Gamma revamp testing

thinking more about Shield Walls, perhaps shield towers highly reinforced for very solid inner base protection. But impossible for even Base turrets etc to fire from inside, so turrets useless unless outside.

Perhaps a modular fence can surround the main inner base (called the Bear Cage). It's enough to protect main base and allow Defenders and base owners place to protect themselves, but if they want to actively defend they have to come out.

No firing through the shield, not in, not out.

202 (edited by Gremrod 2014-05-16 21:41:00)

I like the idea of walls when built have predetermined turret placements.

Wall - turret - Wall

|%%%%|__|%%%%|__|%%%%| <-- Walls built with turret spots ready for turrets

|%%%%|-T-|%%%%|-T-|%%%%| <-- Same wall now with turrets placed in the turret spots.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod wrote:

Wall - turret - Wall

|%%%%|-T-|%%%%|-T-|%%%%| <-- Same wall now with turrets placed in the turret spots.

did you ever play Earth2150/ 2160 ?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Modular, mount turrets on top of walls or in front.

and I will not stop requesting manually Painted Zones for terraforming as best conceptual solution to ending the madness of bottle-necking TPs and other island choke points.

Annihilator wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

Wall - turret - Wall

did you ever play Earth2150/ 2160 ?

No.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Logically,

The POS system is there to make the terminal and immediate facilities secure, essentially securing your base against small groups and roams.

The problem with Gamma 1.0 was that a combination of bad design and player creativity allowed us to redefine an entire island as "our base".

Thus my original suggestion... Multi-tile walls and gates, allowing us the creation of proper castles. Tie it up to terminal bandwidth (walls need to be powered), make it so walls & gates have to be part of a closed loop system (to prevent walling off peninsulas), figure out a reasonable way of limiting it so it's not a 5x5km base around a teleport or whatever, and go from there.

I just don't see a way how to fix terraforming without it being a ticking timebomb.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Logically,

The POS system is there to make the terminal and immediate facilities secure, essentially securing your base against small groups and roams.

The problem with Gamma 1.0 was that a combination of bad design and player creativity allowed us to redefine an entire island as "our base".

Thus my original suggestion... Multi-tile walls and gates, allowing us the creation of proper castles. Tie it up to terminal bandwidth (walls need to be powered), make it so walls & gates have to be part of a closed loop system (to prevent walling off peninsulas), figure out a reasonable way of limiting it so it's not a 5x5km base around a teleport or whatever, and go from there.

I just don't see a way how to fix terraforming without it being a ticking timebomb.

I have thought long and hard about it .. If Terraforming is to be in game in any usable form its going to be " a ticking time bomb" just as it was in gamma 1.0 so .. lets cut to the chase and just remove it now and find a better solution for Gamma.

Its going to need to be redesigned from the ground up ... The current structures are based around being able to Tf the island ... so if we cannot Tf the island we need a whole new approach to Gamma. ..

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

208 (edited by Syndic 2014-05-17 11:04:56)

I've just had a thought actually...

I don't know about you guys but I'm quite sick of the blue/yellow/green hued islands and lighting. Terraforming is MUCH more then shoveling dirt around and piling it on top of each other... What if you could power a POS structure that terraforms the very island around it to a different color/something new all-together (why do you think its called TERRAforming)?

Pipe dream I know. smile

I would look at EVE's wormhole system though, their entire mechanic is very interesting there are definitely some great ideas and lessons to be learnt from that - even if they can't be directly applied to Gamma.

CIR Complaint Form

I definately think that more smaller gammas are a good thing. I'd rather have archipelago gammas than huge empty landmasses - it would encourage emergent gameplay.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

+1 dead-end chains of gammas, central gammas, variations variations variations variations

CIR Complaint Form

So, Gamma 2.0 in 7 years?

The one suggestion alone that says allow structures placed on other structures requires an entire coding rewrite.
Gates, shield walls, enlongated wall units, don't forget corner wall units as well.

Years of new development.

Zoom you are throwing the baby out with the bath water by handicapping yourself with the insistance of no vertical walls of any kind or height. Having all terraforming tied to the base tile severely limits the actual effect of terraforming itself as the de facto defense mechanism. You had a great system that allowed creativity. The direction you are heading with slope limitations is the wrong fix.

Don't worry that's the last word I will post about the vertical walls.
All game politics aside it's my intention to return to Gamma immediately and build a base and live there again. It was one of the best game experiences for me. All players gave the Devs a free pass with this wipe because we really didn't complain about losing our work, because we all know it had to be rebalanced.

But your comment about making a base simply to test "parameters" and bandwidth, rather than functionality and viability is simply more of the same. I guess you can always wipe it again, huh?

Am I bitter? Not at all. Just concerned the direction this is heading.

Cassius wrote:

Having all terraforming tied to the base tile severely limits the actual effect of terraforming itself as the de facto defense mechanism.

Thats the point. Mud walls were never meant to be a defence.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

It's also my point.

What I am suggesting negates the terraforming itself as the primary defense and shifts the emphasis on base location and construction and composition. The way it should be. Having Gamma rely on one mechanic was wrong, and easily exploitable. Having the base construction affected by 4 different core rules means assembling, and attacking, each individual base requires different tactics. Much like bots, which are limited by Accumulator, Slots, CPU, and Reactor, Islands with limits to totals in terraforming, structures, fuel, and degrees of terraforming means how you build it leaves it vulnerable to a counter. Much like an armour tanked bot has gimped DPS.

Zoom, I don't see why vertical terraforming walls is an issue within your idea of Manually Painted Zones. You can keep them isolated to designated spots on island (far away from TP). Bases will need strong defenses as there will be no way to deny access to island.

Of course you have to Paint carefully, taking into consideration turret range from the edge of your painted zone.

Would love to see this concept tested. You can even start testing with existing mechanics.

215 (edited by Syndic 2014-05-17 17:26:47)

Cassius wrote:

The one suggestion alone that says allow structures placed on other structures requires an entire coding rewrite.
Gates, shield walls, enlongated wall units, don't forget corner wall units as well.

Years of new development.

It would be an investment for the future since multi-tile robots have been "on the radar" since release.

There's only so many bot variations that can be made on 1 tile.

The engine is starting to look heavily dated too. While I don't particularly care, I accept that graphics are a big selling point to the average gamer.

I'm more interested in long term solutions then band-aid fixes. I'd rather wait a year for a good Gamma experience then 2 months for a half-assed bundle of joy that will get wiped after a year or two.

CIR Complaint Form

Here is the point of and problem with Terraforming

Players in pvp use terrain to their advantage even on the beta islands where you cant terraform, players take high points .. use hills to block los between them and their opponent ... Use structures (veertical walls) around teleports to block los and kill their opponent. and all other types of strategic manipulation to gain an advantage over their opponent.

once you accept that terrain is a offensive and defensive counter measure in combat the sooner we can come to a solution for gamma. This is a LAND based combat game of course terrain is going to be used as a counter measure!

217 (edited by Mark Zima 2014-05-18 10:49:28)

Archipelago please. For variety, if nothing else.

Terraforming should not be a weapon, neither it should be a shield. It's best to divorce it from PVP completely.
If I'm going to need a terraforming follow bot for gamma PVP, "revamp" has failed.

Archipelago and make terraform able to flatten only. Once you have a good understanding on how gamma is working you can release terraforming again on massive islands.

Jita wrote:

Once you have a good understanding on how gamma is working you can release terraforming again on massive islands.

^^ roll ^^

The DEVS never played on their gamma islands, how do you imagine they will all of a sudden gain years of experience overnight and be able to understand what players want out of gamma and turn that into a balanced system that allows creativity and longevity?

Based on the Elder scrolls online fort capturing system, i'd like to see Attack on a well built base consist of the following stages, I do understand that players will find ways to use them in ways they were not intended though.

Siege

• Use long range artillery (Slow/Stationary, Large energy use/Heavy ammo) to take out perimeter defense. (Only damage certain structures, turrets/boosters/nodes maybe to prevent being used to destroy or put major non-defensive structures into reinforced/destroyed)(Maybe requires target painters to see from a distance and can't be used at close range) (Doesn't hurt players very much?)

• Defenders have an oppurtunity here to form up and counterattack, where they try to take out the slow enemy artillery bots/deployables.).

Breach

• Destroying the enemy gate/s or Wall (High HP/High cost structure (Based on rank), can't place near each other etc)

• Using a Short, one way teleport to breach a portion of the enemy defenses and gain access to some interior of the base. (High Volume [100U?]Long chargeup based on distance?, no cooldown but limit on number of players 5/10/20 etc, short range, maybe have another deployable on the other side to set up 2 way travel.)(Think of this as putting a ladder on an enemy keeps walls or tunneling under them or something)

Assault

• Attack enemy structures, destroy or put into reinforced mode, kill resistance, or be killed, defenders have advantage of being able to redeploy quickly.

Other Thoughts

• Limit Terraforming, but not to the degree it currently is (Maybe a height limit between tiles) need to be able to flatten out areas of land for use, and build roads with highways.

• Encourage use of walls (New walls as an actual structure with gate/turret intergration?) painted zone might work to stop teleport walling, and discourage use of terraformed walls (Increase Breach time when near a wall?

• Some way to make verticle walls or slanted built ones, not high ones, but extreme stretching of cliff textures is ugly.

• No degredation on concrete tiles within "Claimed Area", maybe extend this to deployable walls, still can take damage though.

Basically, i want the player to be able to build a castle if they want, but i don't want it to be invincible from a well organised force.

221 (edited by Malsier Dabian 2014-05-20 05:48:07)

So I've continued to read all of this without comment for the last few pages.

What I've noticed so far:

* People are telling you (the Devs) to dump your idea of limiting TFing. Or simply remove it all together in favor of Flat islands (Or islands as they are) and modular colony defenses such as different types of walls and gates etc.

* Leave Tfing alone, but fix the hight ranges.

* Do not limit creativity by creating a system which only supports cookie cutter base types.

Basically.... Leave the old system like it was, and simply fix the height ranges for transforming, while adding in new module colony structures for defense, and redesigning some of the layouts for the islands.

Pretty simple honestly.

The problems I think Zoom is that you all are literally trying to turn a mole hill.. into a mountain.  STOP. Fix what needs to be fixed so the system works. And stop trying to screw with things that are not broken. (Until you actually fix and release the things that are).

Or...

You could simply just make all the Gamma islands 100% FLAT (or simply leave them as they are). Say No teraforming, add a few  neat defensive structures, walls and gates and screw with some of those mechanics, and be done with it.

222 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-05-20 02:47:28)

Malsier Dabian wrote:

So I've continued to read all of this without comment for the last few pages.

What I've noticed so far:

* People are telling you (the Devs) to dump your idea of limiting TFing. Or simply remove it all together in favor of Flat islands and modular colony defenses such as different types of walls and gates etc.

* Leave Tfing alone, but fix the hight ranges.

* Do not limit creativity by creating a system which only supports cookie cutter base types.

No way you read the whole thread. Anyone advocating Flat islands is advocating to just shut down the servers.

Also, though you are missing lots of suggestions the one I most want to see tested is quoted in my signature from about 4-5 pages back.

If Devs think it would be 'easy' to manually paint terraformable zones, then the 'easiest' thing to do would be try that with the Old Mechanics and lets discuss from there. On test server, start with old Gamma Mechanics only on painted portions of some Gamma map ...then adjust from there.

I guess I'm like the only one who thinks this is a fair idea sad

oh yeah, 100% flat islands
great idea

finally seth snipers, l-demob zeniths, long range ictus and interference beacons can shine all around big_smilefuuu

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

224 (edited by Tux 2014-05-20 21:15:01)

Rage Rex wrote:

If Devs think it would be 'easy' to manually paint terraformable zones, then the 'easiest' thing to do would be try that with the Old Mechanics and lets discuss from there. On test server, start with old Gamma Mechanics only on painted portions of some Gamma map ...then adjust from there.

This is not a bad Idea ( I kinda like it ) but with this change in addition to (terminal distance restrictions) It would basically be the equivalent of 1 terminal per gamma island on most islands with a 3 to 5 K build / TF radius around them. I am assuming that the devs will "paint" an area in the center of the island small enough so you can not TF off 75% or more of the island.

The old mechanics are i think the best way to do terraforming ... sadly because of the bad taste left in the devs mouth from the walls of Imidero they are hell bent on not allowing vertical walls. This is sad that adjustments can not be made to the system, but the system as a whole must be thrown out, instituting sever height limitations was all that was needed to begin with but that was never even tested.  sad

225 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-05-20 23:40:53)

Tux wrote:
Rage Rex wrote:

This is not a bad Idea ( I kinda like it ) but with this change in addition to (terminal distance restrictions) It would basically be the equivalent of 1 terminal per gamma island on most islands with a 3 to 5 K build / TF radius around them. I am assuming that the devs will "paint" an area in the center of the island small enough so you can not TF off 75% or more of the island. No need for extra empty terminals to prohibit this.

The old mechanics are i think the best way to do terraforming ... sadly because of the bad taste left in the devs mouth from the walls of Imidero they are hell bent on not allowing vertical walls. This is sad that adjustments can not be made to the system, but the system as a whole must be thrown out, instituting sever height limitations was all that was needed to begin with but that was never even tested.  sad

I am not advocating ANY terminal restrictions. There would be no need as long as the painted Zones are far enough away from TPs and each other not to bottleneck the island, anywhere (this includes turret range). If you want to put 10 terminals in one zone, go for it. NO terminal caps. If your corp/alliance controls all the Painted Zones on island anyway, why have terminal cap restriction? Enemy must break into one of your zones if they want to set up an attacking beachfront terminal.

And of course there should be MULTIPLE Zones Painted around the island. Each island has it's own size and shape so Manually Painted zones may be more or less depending on the island. Variation is a good thing.

And Devs, I know you have said no more sheer walls, but for testing this concept do us all a favor and set that aside for expediency. Painted Zones is large enough a change and should be tested in isolation.