1 (edited by Annihilator 2014-05-08 19:54:07)

Topic: Pathfinding 2.0

Ok, we got pahtfinding fixed now, so it doesn't break everytime someone else (NPC or Player) triggers the algorithm around us.

During the time it was broken, i have searched the net for the topic, and found, that the thing we see in perp is usually only the first step to draw a path between two points on a rasterized map.
BUT usually that path is not actually used unprocessed to let something walk exactly ON that path.

best example is when you want to aproach something in "North-North-East" direction. The raster based pathfinding algorithm will draw a path that is partially a stright line north, and short part that is north-east to reach that point, even if there is not a single obstacle between start and end.
Not only does that make the path longer, it also makes it look stupid when several npcs walk in zig-zag patterns.

Now the discussion -
are you happy with it as it is, or would you like to see more work flowing into AI improvements for smoother movement? (NPCs and Autopilot)?

because pictures are better then words:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010 … ter_01.jpg

this picture can be found in this article:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3 … inding.php

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Pathfinding 2.0

I think it looks adorable. I would prioritize weighed paths, so routing over an highway instead of right to it big_smile

I'm not going to be greedy, it's amazing, let them move onto something else with their developmental resources.

4 (edited by Norrdec 2014-05-12 10:08:28)

I would say this was such a huge QoL improvement, that I would let the Devs leave it on the back burner for a moment, unless it's a really small change. From what the Devs said, current algo can use the weighted paths, so it's just a matter of time to have it fixed if really so needed.

In my opinion what we have is enough. It's similar to eve (even thou travelling there is easier already). If you move between sectors manually, your ships jumps to the gate at 0km range and you can jump to the next sector. If you use the autopilot, your ship jumps to gate at range of 10km and you have to slowboat to 2km for the gate to jump to the next sector.

tl;dr Autopilot is to have it easy, Manual travel to be faster.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

To be hones the current pathfinding gets me from A>B while I make a coffee so im happy with it.
I dont mind that it misses the accelerators as these could be considered a bonus for people that manually pilot their bots and therefore can get from A>B a bit faster than others using the autopilot.

Agree with most above, AP now is great, let the devs focus on other things first, unless it cost very few effort i rather see they focus on Gama.

i am asking for this, because its something usefull for multiple things in the future.

you only seem to see the benefits for you at this very moment - i see it beneficial for a future improvement of the AI, the random Mission generator and even for gamma island improvements.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Well we have this algo now. Let the devs see if they want to re-use it for different things or not.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Agree with all above but OP. It would be great long term idea to continue making improves to Pathing and AI but soo many other things need love.

Fantastic improvement. You took autopilot from 10% to 90%. I won't dare ask for 100.

I added some code today to be able to pathfind to waypoints / mission items / etc. The issue is that since they're neither terrain nor robots or buildings, they can't be selected, so what it does right now is that it selects the tile underneath: This means that right now you click on them in the Landmarks window and then you can press Approach to head towards them.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

DEV Gargaj wrote:

I added some code today to be able to pathfind to waypoints / mission items / etc. The issue is that since they're neither terrain nor robots or buildings, they can't be selected, so what it does right now is that it selects the tile underneath: This means that right now you click on them in the Landmarks window and then you can press Approach to head towards them.

Thumbs up!
keep em' comming.

DEV Gargaj wrote:

/humps leg

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Now just needs a way of automatically also switching islands and continueing trek on other island and we have a proper autopilot. wink