1 (edited by Taco 2010-12-07 23:36:10)

Topic: New player experience suggestions

Since launch, I've spent my time on the Help channel. At least of those who come to the Help channel, I think I've identified some major factors that contribute to early player confusion and frustration.

1) Tutorial mission 3a/b: That you need to grab the package from your personal storage and put it in your bot's cargohold needs to be in bold, flashing red letters or otherwise slap the player in the face. (I see the issue of the teleporter waypoint not registering has already been acknowledged.)

2a) In the mining tutorial, because of low skills and a syn-tec scanner, new players often try to mine a tile that the scan indicates should have ore only to be told it has none. I think the syn-tec scanner should be changed to eliminate false positives. The tile-based results should give a binary result: the presence or absence of ore. The result would put a cylinder of fixed size (and maybe a color different from red/yellow/green) on tiles that have ore and nothing on tiles which do not. Obviously, the tutorial would explain the difference between the syn-tec and regular scanners. For the players who don't read, at least their confusion upon seeing results with cylinders of various sizes and colors will be delayed beyond their first hour of playing the game by which time they're hopefully already hooked. Also, the tutorial should make very clear that a scan is a snapshot and will not dynamically update to show depletion as they mine. An optional "advanced" tutorial could be made available for those who get a real geoscanner.

2b) Somewhere in the tutorial it should talk about replenishment of ores, liquids and plants.

3) There needs to be a tutorial on insurance, perhaps when the first faction bot is awarded. (One-time free 50% insurance?)

4) In the tutorial it should talk about corp standings and viewing them via agent profile. Also it should say level 2 agent missions are available with 1.0 standing and how to use the "all assignments" tab to view every assignment available in all locations while docked. It should also discuss the role of faction in facility costs as well as detail what exactly are the benefits of level 2 & 3 facilities.

5) There should be a real geography lesson. Which islands are run by which megacorps and that all terminals/outposts on each island are on the same megacorp standings.

6) Every single tutorial assignment should end by mentioning that more info is available using the in-game help button. The tutorial as a whole should end by mentioning the Help chat channel.

7) Also, that any given assignment will disappear if it accounts for 6 of your last 10 missions must be beat into new player's heads.

2 (edited by Crynth 2010-12-08 00:00:41)

Re: New player experience suggestions

All good suggestions. I can remember having most of the same problems when doing the tutorial.

Regarding #5, I would love it if the actual map had a "corp ownership" option that showed territory control. The alpha islands of course would be the default 3 corps.

Good stuff.

They should also remove the solidbit scan/charge you start with in cargo as its now obsolete after the tutorial change to titan ore. (if it wasnt already, been a while since I've done one)

Good post Taco. I'm sure the Devs will read and appreciate it