Re: Gamma Revamp Testing ???

I just have to mention here that new beacon terraforming completely sucks and has some weird quirks that once fully figured out can be used very extensively to build really hard to siege terrains. I would really consider holding it all back until it's all sorted; wouldn't want another wipe in a year.

+1

Just remove terraforming until it's fixed

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

+1

Don't rush it close it all down until its really ready and really tested by ppl who know wtf they're doing.

Or it will be another "well we didnt think you would do that" in a year or so.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

29 (edited by Tux 2014-04-21 16:51:25)

from what i have seen so far being able to "lock terrain" at a specific slop with no ability to change it is going to kill gamma again in 1 year with these mechanics.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Wipe gamma, lock it down. Devote your resources to more important things like new player tickets, getting the server to run without spikes, and new content. (aka things Steamlings will want).

Tux wrote:

from what i have seen so far being able to "lock terrain" at a specific slop with no ability to change it is going to kill gamma again in 1 year with these mechanics.

Just to expand on this locking slopes means that you can build a downward slope from the 500m range of every teleport. this downward slope would then only be able to be changed from the bottom of the slop and not the top. The bottom of this slope would have guns over it meaning the only way you could get on to an island would be in stuff with a 51 degree slope capability that can tank whatever defences are there.

tl,dr its still broken

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:
Tux wrote:

Just to expand on this locking slopes means that you can build a downward slope from the 500m range of every teleport. this downward slope would then only be able to be changed from the bottom of the slop and not the top. The bottom of this slope would have guns over it meaning the only way you could get on to an island would be in stuff with a 51 degree slope capability that can tank whatever defences are there.

tl,dr its still broken

Are you *** kidding me?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

If this is your solution, close all gamma TP's and make gamma unavailable until you deal with Steam.

This will blow up in your face and there's no time to code something else & give us enough time to test it.

Jita broke terraforming within 30 mins of logging in.

F*ck Gamma just take care of Steam newbies coming in.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

34 (edited by Tux 2014-04-21 19:31:54)

Jita wrote:
Tux wrote:

tl,dr its still broken

TF is more broken than before ...

Before the attacker could try to modify the Tf to assist in their assault. .

Gamma needs to be scrapped and re designed from the ground up ... Im sorry to say it but its no where close to being able to be relaunched at this point. The bandwidth allowances combined with the number of terminals on island change nothing about colony size.

If TF stays this way all gammas need to be limited to 1 Terminal per island and Command relays need to be removed

Meh, go back to the old terraforming.

Create a new class of siege bots that can tunnel through terraformed ground quickly and destroy any objects or structures placed on that ground.  Think some new bot that when an active module is run will flatten terraformed land to a flat plain without targeting anything, just as an aoe aura...done quickly to negate 15hr terraform sieges.

Then create a buildable wall structure system.  My thoughts involve wall turret structures with a ramp for light mechs to climb, must be placed XXX distance from other wall turrets, when powered an energy shield forms between the wall pieces creating a wall that cant be sieged from above mentioned digger bots.

With this you have the ability to get creative with terraforming, the means to quickly dig through it via siege bots and wreck placed structures on the terraformed ground, as well as a means to build legit and decent looking walls with functional ramps for defense.

IMO this is better than taking away content (terraforming plans) as a means to negate the OP nature of terraforming, which is just going to be exploited in another manner.  At least if the above mentioned stuff can be exploited we have content, more bots, and variety to play with..

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

This could all be solved by decreasing the optimal range booster to turrets provided by booster nodes.

the old terraforming was fine provided that:

1) you only have three bases per island

2) you cant put a base within 3km of the teleport

4) you cant terraform more than 2km from the base

This would just make bases weaker

You would need to balance this in some way for the defender .. or attacker if attacker is using turrets for assaulting the gamma base. To simply out range turrets is too easy to kill gammas.

Ville wrote:

This could all be solved by decreasing the optimal range booster to turrets provided by booster nodes.

1 Terminal no command  relays ... and you can roam gammas

This still allows me to lock down an island .... it will just take a little time and be more expensive than now

Jita wrote:

Jita wrote:

You deleted point "3"?  I would say single tile terraforming goes, but beacon terraforming could only be dropped 3K from your base.

Tux wrote:

This still allows me to lock down an island .... it will just take a little time and be more expensive than now

Jita wrote:

Agreed.  I'm still at work whats the deal with the CPU/Reactor limits on the MPCs are they *** huge?

Ville wrote:
Tux wrote:

Jita wrote:

Agreed.  I'm still at work whats the deal with the CPU/Reactor limits on the MPCs are they *** huge?

they are *** huge if you have twelve bases running

43 (edited by Tux 2014-04-21 20:02:32)

exactly ..

Jita wrote:
Ville wrote:
Tux wrote:

the values are just fine if your limited to 1 base [total] on an island so 1 island 1 terminal

Jita wrote:
Ville wrote:
Tux wrote:

The intent should be:  They are large enough to have the following:

1)  A fully functional Production base.
2) Partial Production Base Some Defense.
3) Defenses + Terminal.

Why?  Because then players would stop spamming mining terminals AND it would use some logistics on part of corps.

Tux wrote:

exactly ..

Jita wrote:
Ville wrote:

the values are just fine if your limited to 1 base [total] on an island so 1 island 1 terminal

you could go to three and still be fine. Trouble atm is that batteries use 30 width and reactors 500. I assume they missed a zero big_smile

Ville wrote:

The intent should be:  They are large enough to have the following:

1)  A fully functional Production base.
2) Partial Production Base Some Defense.
3) Defenses + Terminal.

Why?  Because then players would stop spamming mining terminals AND it would use some logistics on part of corps.

That was pretty much my thoughts on how this would work out too.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

http://clip2net.com/s/7gu1hR

Can you fix this Zoom

its a terminal i dropped last week before you took the test server down and now the terminal isnt there but the ground where is was stills shows the terminal

49 (edited by Burial 2014-04-22 01:47:32)

Turrets need high hit dispersion so they don't gank assaults/light with one shot but are still useful against mechs/heavies. You have the mechanics in place to balance lights/assaults vs mechs/heavies - use it more often please.

Being able to walk under the guns of larger stuff would be pretty good - right now it's a lot of misses and then massive hits; could use some work.