Topic: The First of Many: A Newbie's First Steps in Perpetuum

Hello everyone,

By way of introduction, my name is Irv and I thought I was very familiar with the MMO landscape. Then I read an article at Massively about a game I had never heard of: Perpetuum.  I was bored in Landmark, so I decided to give this game a try (and I was especially attracted to the one-time purchase cost of $28.95). The following is a brief journal of what the beginning of this game has been like for me:

Day One: The Tutorial

Admittedly, I started playing late in the evening. I got through the excellent tutorial in about 60-90 minutes.  I was placed in New Virginia in a Truhold-Markson Alpha terminal.  I was tired, confused by what to do next, so I logged-out.

Day Two: Totally Lost

I got almost nothing accomplished in day two.  I was lost on what I was supposed to be doing.  Having not played a true sandbox in a long time, I was unaccustomed to the game giving me no direction as a new player. I asked a question in the Help! channel and was given excellent answers.  One very nice player sent me 1,000,000 NIC to get started with. But again, the biggest struggle I had was I didn't know what to do; I didn't know what to be working towards.

Fun newbie mistake:  I took a mission to gather some ore.  I used the directional geoscanner, and was frustrated by how far away the ore seemed to be.  Again, other MMOs conditioned me to think that newbie missions would be "walk 10 paces, kill 10 rats, return" instead of this, which was "walk really far for a newbie who doesn't even know where home base is".  Anyways, I made it to the ore field, and was all ready to mine.  Except I didn't have any tile scanning modules with me, so I had no way to figure out what tile to mine.

I understood my mistake; I remembered what was in the tutorial.  But all I did was turn back to get to the terminal, then I logged in frustration and said to myself that I'd get this right tomorrow.

Day Three: A Little Progress

I figured out in my head that I wanted to be an industrialist.  I wanted to learn the game by becoming an expert miner and harvester, then refine my product into something useful to the market.

I started out spending an hour mining Titan Ore.  I then refined that ore into Titanium, and sold to the highest-priced buyer in the Truhold-Markson Alpha terminal.  I made something like 80,000 credits, which I was proud of.

After thinking about it a little longer, I looked through the market adverts, and decided that I would try and gather the raw materials needed for a refined component that had a much higher unit price. I figured out that Alligior was an in-demand product at 175 NIC per unit, so I wrote down that I needed Titan Ore, HDT, and Epriton.

First up was HDT, so I carefully worked through my bot equipment slots, figuring out exactly what I needed bought some HDT modules from the market (thankfully very cheaply) and went off in search of HDT. Before I got started, RL interrupted and I logged for the night.

Re: The First of Many: A Newbie's First Steps in Perpetuum

I won't water down the learning curve. It's the sandbox aspect that makes a sandbox attractive.

Also if you see me griping about Alpha 2 people griefing me while I mine, just set it in the back of your mind and continue your journey for now.

If you have industrial goals at launch, be sure to put some artifact probes in to the scanner and give that a try. Science/ Salvage 1 & 2 are usually safe and will yield a lot of industrial stuff.

If you just want to make some NIC I would encourage you to drop the whole mining side and kill rookie spawns. They drop an essence or something that sells for 250-275 through infinite orders and it's the true NIC faucet for this game.

... and have a look at
http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … perpetuum/
great guide and simply a must have. smile

4 (edited by Celebro 2014-04-13 13:29:45)

Words of advice, better to sell ore in raw form, it is more in demand and will sell for higher prices unless you really know what you are doing. Forget alligor, because Epriton is only mined in some PVP islands so leave that for now and sell raw, titan, HDT are good enough materials to start out with.

If the arrow takes you to far out, go the opposite direction until the arrow directs you to a different ore field, which hopefully it might be closer to your terminal.

Get a Sequer bot: if you haven't done so ye.t Use your miner to mine (Argano/Termis) and drop ore in a field container and go change to a Sequer which has 80u of cargo take back to station and profit. Container lasts for 1 hour if not opened, and has no space limit.

RIP PERPETUUM

5 (edited by Syndic 2014-04-13 15:57:50)

You've made several glaring mistakes that cost you millions.

This could have been avoided if you joined PHM and asked in TS if refining is a good idea for a new player.

Keep on trying, learning is part of the fun. And if you need a hand, PHM is always happy to help.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Day Four: Mining

Today I visited my first Alpha 2 and Beta zones. In the early morning I took my trust little Argano and headed to a Beta zone. I creeped along the outskirts, avoiding roads and using the terrain as best I could for a visual camoflauge.  I found some Epriton and mined a cargo hold's worth.  I then headed back, slowly and nervously heading to the teleport to safety.

I saw my first NPC gank crew in the Alpha 2 zone.  I almost missed seeing it but luckily I was just in time to avoid it. 

I then obtained a Teramis, outfitted it with newbie stuff, and mined some more Titan Ore, trying out a field container for the first time and retrieving it with my Sequer.

As Celebro said, I did the basic math and selling the raw materials is much more profitable than refining.  So I bought some credits and respecced out of recycling and refining.

It was a fun time today.  I'm now on travel for a bunch of days, but have a booster going so I can earn EP while I'm away.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Irv you should post this on steam, I don't know about the rest of the guys but I really enjoyed your write-up of a newbie's perspective of the game. Hope you keep it up. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Irv wrote:

.... and using the terrain as best I could for a visual camoflauge. ...

hell, i would love if that would actually be worth anything.
Terrain is not considered at all in radar range, even though it would be infinite times better then the masking/detection system we have in place.

btw, gz on surviving your first trip to beta. i wonder what would have happened if any of the forum pvpers would have met you there and recognized your name.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

good honest writeup

nice to see you noticed the NPC gank crew

a little paying attention goes a long way

10 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-04-14 00:39:46)

Irv wrote:

Day Four: Mining
As Celebro said, I did the basic math and selling the raw materials is much more profitable than refining.  So I bought some credits and respecced out of recycling and refining.

It was a fun time today.  I'm now on travel for a bunch of days, but have a booster going so I can earn EP while I'm away.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I think the Devs shed a tear of joy on this note. Perhaps the new players will flock to the Perpetuum Shop.

Good write-up. You'll find most Vets very eager to assist, especially when it comes to getting the word out about this game.

Excellent write up man, it's awesome you went to beta and actually mined you some epitron! Good for you!

I remember my first Argano sneaky trips into what was then M2S held hostile territory (Hokk) to mine Epriton.  Scary as hell!

Great post! If you need anything STC will help you out as well. Ninja mining epriton was one of the most fun activities I have ever had in perpetuum.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

KUSTOMROD wrote:

I remember my first Argano sneaky trips into what was then M2S held hostile territory (Hokk) to mine Epriton.  Scary as hell!

I too did this, but for me it was Alsbale.. Got away with the first 2 trips, got caught on the third and boom!   lol

Blocker wrote:
KUSTOMROD wrote:

I too did this, but for me it was Alsbale.. Got away with the first 2 trips, got caught on the third and boom!   lol

It got to the point I was ninjaing so much damn epi, that not only did i support NEX builders with 90% of the epi they needed, but made millions of millions, of millions of nic off the market.

[16:03:43] <Mara Gossep> syndic.....and get your *** spy out of our corp

16 (edited by Stradivar 2014-04-16 09:52:30)

Welcome to Perpetuum Irv! Thank you for sharing your initial thoughts; excellent write -up.

You'll find that the community here can be incredibly helpful. A wealth of knowledge and experience is here to be tapped into and you've already found some agents to be generous with more than just simple advice.

Your enjoyment of this unforgiving sandbox experience will increase dramatically upon entering corp life. If you're planning to stay a while and have time on your hands, there are also other alternatives to joining the fold of an established Perp community.

As we approach our potential population explosion with the upcoming Steam launch, this may be a good time for you to take stock of what you know and, whilst awaiting your precious EP accumulation, gather up some like-minded new players and carve out a chunk of Nian history for yourselves.

Gamma & Glory await!

Best of luck.

There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

Great Post! Also agree this should be posted on the steam forums aswell smile