1 (edited by Rumpathumpa 2010-12-08 14:55:45)

Topic: Which Megacorperation should i choose (Bots and weapons)?

In this game most aspects megacorps are similar to each other. In this way it does not matter which is chosen. However, their are difference in bots and weapons.

Looking at weapons:

Lasers

Pros:
Very accurate : they land, they have great range, low dispersion, and they have great fall off.
Long range

High rate of fire

Cons:
AP (energy/accumulator) cost is sky high.

Lets put it this way you get a free bot for completing tutorial #10. It equips 4 turrets, even with medium level energy management extensions, just firing your guns (kill 7-10 bounty) will take most of your AP. If you run a sensor booster you can almost empty your AP and shield repairers + lasers DO NOT WORK. You may have the energy for 1-3 ticks of a armor rep + lasers

Ammo (unlike eve) you have to use ammo every shot. The reason why eve's laser cost so much to fire is that the energy comes from some where , well in perpetuum  you use energy cells to fire , + plus it takes a ungodly amount of your energy.

Weak damage modifier for weapons (just above missiles in medium size missiles)

High reactor cost for fitting

2nd highest ammo cost

Mags

High damage (best weapon mods, by a lot).
2nd best on ammo cost.

Cons:
Tied for Least accurate
The small size weapons are the least accurate, and at medium they are more accurate than guns as long as you are firing at or under optimal range.
Hard to fit cost both higher levels of cpu and reactor

Slow rate of fire (2nd)

Missiles

Pros:
Almost no AP cost
Nice range with no fall off
High base damage
Cheap ammo costs
LOS oddities (shoot over hills)

Cons:
High cpu costs
Lowest dps
   The issues is really the medium missiles which fire far too slow.

Guns (projectiles)

Pros:
Fastest rate of fire
2nd highest damage modifier
Very little AP cost.
Highest DPS (The margin is so great that small gun out dps medium lasers)
Highest fall off
Low CPU and reactor cost

Cons:
Tied for least accurate
Cost of ammo - the more you shoot...
No special bot bonus for damage etc. (Its not really needed, as stated before guns do so much damage that lasers would need a 80% bonus and missiles over a 100% damage bonus)
Shortest range
  This combined with the highest falloff means you can shoot farther away than the low optimal range and still land hits.
High mass

General weapon issues. All lasers are barely viable atm (and far too costly). And medium missiles don't seem to have much punch.

I will work on this more feel free to comment.

For a quick overview of bots

Asintec (AT)
Lasers, High reactors, accumulators are larger, ok speed high armor.

ICS
Like magnetics. an average of sorts

TM
Missles, High cpu lower accumulator, higher speed

Linked is a great starting guide:
http://forumsbetaarchive.perpetuum-onli … perpetuum/

Weapon data gathered from: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … lete-math/

Re: Which Megacorperation should i choose (Bots and weapons)?

nice summary
i just dont get this sentence:

they are more accurate than guns as long as you are firing very close to optimal range

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

Very nice little overview guide here, thank you for posting.

Optimal range has no effect on hit chance.  Anything under optimal range will do full damage if it hits.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

5 (edited by Seridur 2010-12-08 11:21:43)

I'm also trying  to compare the different guns/bots, to make it easier I only do it on light weapon/assault bot level and there are many things to consider, dps is far from being enough (a small thing for example that missiles can do the best secondary damage type-I mean every weapon has a main dmg type, for example for lasers it is thermal, the best they can do is 14 thermal dmg and 8 something else depending on ammo, missiles go like 20/15 ..small thing.. but still)

and bots, their stats and bonuses also play a big role in choice. Magnetic robots seem to be the fastest, though magnetic weapons are heavy so they lose some advantage there.
Laser bots have the best hp (and magnetics' are much lower than the others)

etc..

Neoxx wrote:

Optimal range has no effect on hit chance.  Anything under optimal range will do full damage if it hits.

I just was pointing out the effects of low falloff .. but ty restated in post.

Is this still accurate or is this guide out dated?

Still accurate for the most part. But a high rate of fire isn't an advantage. Good alpha strike is always good. Cost of ammunition is not an issue for any weapon.
Simply choose the faction, which is the most attractive for you - apart from current fotm bots/weapons.

I have just started looking at what robot to buy, my first.  I am running delivery missions currently and have about 700,000 so far.  Any suggestions ?  Yes I will keep reading smile

Waspish I think your best buy now.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Seth.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.