Topic: Negative EP issues on some trial accounts

We have recently discovered a bug where accounts that subscribe for the first time don't receive their 20k EP bonuses. We have fixed that bug, but unfortunately it had an unexpected side effect.

Some new trial accounts (110 of them to be exact) have also received this 20k EP bonus without subscribing. To keep it fair we had to remove this, but if you have spent all those extra EP then your account will have negative EP now. Negative EP is nothing to panic about, but you can't upgrade or install extensions until you reach into positive amounts again.

Just wanted to put out a warning before the "what happened to my EP" questions come. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Re: Negative EP issues on some trial accounts

not best first impression for those 110. I'd say let them have a drink on the house.

+1

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Let them drown.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

5 (edited by Gremrod 2014-03-28 15:04:33)

Always run your SQL statements on a backup of production first...... big_smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Give everyone else 20k and let them keep theirs.

Rage Rex wrote:

not best first impression for those 110. I'd say let them have a drink on the house.

+1

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

How many accounts actually have negative EP?

9 (edited by Tund Bungler 2014-03-28 14:35:03)

Burial wrote:

How many accounts actually have negative EP?

And how many trials quickly canceled their subs because you punished them for your errors.

Steam is giving you a pair of champion horses fit for breeding and instead you're turning them into glue.

This isn't a punishment, they actually got half a month's worth of EP in advance that they could spend well before they would have accumulated it normally.

DEV Zoom wrote:

This isn't a punishment, they actually got half a month's worth of EP in advance that they could spend well before they would have accumulated it normally.

Sure, you see it that way. But do you really think a new player to the game does? For them its two weeks they cant add anymore skills during a very very important time on selling them on the game.

I'd have just thrown them a bone and given them the "oops EP" for free and moved on. It certainly would have made a better impression and I can't imagine all the old Vets would throw much of a fuss over you guys trying to help grow the game.

Tund Bungler wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Sure, you see it that way. But do you really think a new player to the game does? For them its two weeks they cant add anymore skills during a very very important time on selling them on the game.

I'd have just thrown them a bone and given them the "oops EP" for free and moved on. It certainly would have made a better impression and I can't imagine all the old Vets would throw much of a fuss over you guys trying to help grow the game.

+1

++ stuff

Tund Bungler wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

Having or not having half a month of EP doesn't matter they will still get 1-shotted by a vet. So to the vet, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

To the potential newbie however, half a month of EP is quite a lot.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

If it's a new account I would have just let them keep it. 20k "extra" is going to be nothing compared to what all the vets have.

Leaving them negative is pretty harsh, it'll make them feel like they've stopped progressing in game.

No point really, those who saw negative EP will leave anyways or  probably left already. Sigh*

RIP PERPETUUM

17 (edited by Syndic 2014-03-29 19:23:55)

Yeah definitely makes you wish for a closed door, a baseball bat and some quality 1o1 time. Ah well, there will always be other new players.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

An email to said accounts with the negative EP explaining why they see negative EP would go a long way.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Had a guy come into help the other day he was quite pleasant with the change and it didn't bother him.  Another one in the wee hours of the morning had the same thing he wasn't so pleasant about it.  He even threw a fit in help, went offline then left the channel after he was offline.  I wonder how he felt about a forum "Warning "