Topic: New devblog: The end of subscriptions, the start of something new

Probably the biggest news since our launch - we're abandoning the subscription system!

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … thing-new/

Re: New devblog: The end of subscriptions, the start of something new

haha I new it!!

RIP PERPETUUM

Yeah, you came pretty close wink

I like most of it, skimmed through the blog though, only thing that's kinda out of touch is the EP boost it kinda pay to win, also forcing players to log every 3 days is too little maybe a week at least, you know we players have holidays.

RIP PERPETUUM

Exciting times, its really cool to see things falling into place!

http://content.perpetuum-online.com/ima … oictus.jpg

Awesome, lol

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

6 (edited by Celebro 2014-03-16 19:57:08)

So I am not clear with this: if a player has in the past payed for 3 months sub or 3 ICE he owns the game?

RIP PERPETUUM

I'm happy you finally seem to be getting to where you hoped to be. I'm slightly concerned about the game cost - I would prefer to see a lower cost with planned paid expansions yearly.

I would like to know what it going to happen to ice

Also it would be good to allow perp credits to be purchased with nic

I would like pvp ammo to be purchasable by perp credits too

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

8 (edited by Jita 2014-03-16 20:02:15)

Celebro wrote:

So I am not clear with this: if a player has in the past payed for 3 months sub or 3 ICE he owns the game?

Edit:

I have just read again - if you have ever been subbed on any account for three months it's free.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Jita wrote:

Also it would be good to allow perp credits to be purchased with nic

+1

Jita wrote:
Celebro wrote:

It seems that way. Kind of harsh on the guys subbed for years by direct debit.

Yes, and any extra subscription time will be converted to Perpetuum Credits, which can then be used for EP boosts/resets/etc.

My hope for this game was revived after this read. Keep up the good work. \o/

i understand that you have earn money somehow, but the account reset and extention downgrade is the wrong way in my opinion.

then we will be back to see the community to play the favor of th emonth bots. corps will play very specialized fleets only and the others have to do the same to counter it. we have seen that in the past and i fear this will go way worse with this.

besides that we more or less saw a change to "free to play" comming. this game needs new players and with this we should gat at least enough.

im exited to see more players ingame but fear the long term consequnses of the chracter reset options.

I'm of the opinion that *** is right. Full ep resets should not be purchasable IMO, it's game breaking. One time for the founder players yes but not continuous. That said, make your money and remove it when you have sufficient coke and whores.

second:
terraforming reimbusement:
i dont think this will cover it well. not at a bit. some corps/players have spent billions in nic on that. and this can be seen in the landscape.

if this goes down by ever placed gamma terminals maybe we should start putting down a "few" more terminals just to get more reimbusement?

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

we should start putting down a "few" more terminals just to get more reimbusement?

See the "counting from today, to avoid abuse" note.

But it should probably be "from today back" or something, I'll edit for clarification.

Jita wrote:

Yes, we missed that from the blog. I added it to the Q&A section now:

What will happen to unused ICE items?
- ICE will be discontinued and market orders for ICE will be cancelled during the payment model patch. Then, all ICE items in private storages and cargos will be coverted to the appropriate amount of Perpetuum Credits and added to the owner's account. ICE in corporation storages will be converted and added to the account of the CEO, so make sure you move out any ICE items to personal storages if this doesn't fit for you.

Oh and:

If you check your eligibility on the account status page and it says not eligible even though you are sure you have enough months of game time, please submit a support ticket and we'll check it out!

Issues:
1) Logging into get EP. Makes sense if you move to a free to play (pay to start) model. However 3 days seems a little short. By all means stop the 5 year AFKer getting 100,000,000 EP but don't punish players (Especially the new players) for going on holiday. Should be 5 days since last login at a minimum or 7 days at a maximum.

2) EP boost and 3 (5-7) day bypass. Wuuuuut? So maybe you don't follow gaming news or you avoid anything with the words EVE or CCP in but you could have learnt a lot from them. This just makes people think they need 1000's of EP to win the game where what they really need is teamwork (Or lots of alts).

3) Some people won't be able to drop £30 in one go for Perpetuum when it releases. They may be playing from using ICE or single month to month transactions. Anyone with less than 3 months subscription time remaining is going to need to purchase the game (3 months sub) and you should at least make this a little easier for existing players. If they have been subbed for 2 years without a break and now you're going to ask them for 3 months money up front, some people won't be able to pay it. Most will not have an issue but try and be as caring as you can. Don't get yourself a bad name for "locking people out". £30 ain't a lot of money and I certainly will be looking forward to making that purchase on Steam.

Questions:
1) Will Steam be handling the patching and distribution of the game or just the basic launcher? I just had to sit through 20 minutes of 100kbps and then suddenly it went to a few mbps but it's not a good first user experience.

2) Any improvement to the engine? Not in terms of appearance but performance. Perpetuum is still very much a GPU killer and while the client might be rendering a lot more things than some games perhaps adding more LOD or occlusion might not burn out a few GPU's on go live day.

3) Early Access or suddenly going live? Perpetuum may have been out for 2 years but some people are going to log in and ask at lot of questions about it feeling a little indie. While it's very much an indie developed game it's aiming for a larger market than most.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Jita wrote:

Yes, we missed that from the blog. I added it to the Q&A section now:

What will happen to unused ICE items?
- ICE will be discontinued and market orders for ICE will be cancelled during the payment model patch. Then, all ICE items in private storages and cargos will be coverted to the appropriate amount of Perpetuum Credits and added to the owner's account. ICE in corporation storages will be converted and added to the account of the CEO, so make sure you move out any ICE items to personal storages if this doesn't fit for you.

So ICE becomes Perp Credits?

Can I buy P.C with NIC?

RIP PERPETUUM

Alexander wrote:

3) Some people won't be able to drop £30 in one go for Perpetuum when it releases. They may be playing from using ICE or single month to month transactions. Anyone with less than 3 months subscription time remaining is going to need to purchase the game (3 months sub) and you should at least make this a little easier for existing players. If they have been subbed for 2 years without a break and now you're going to ask them for 3 months money up front, some people won't be able to pay it. Most will not have an issue but try and be as caring as you can. Don't get yourself a bad name for "locking people out". £30 ain't a lot of money and I certainly will be looking forward to making that purchase on Steam.

This is exactly why we're giving more than 2 weeks of a heads up so that players still missing one or two months can make their accounts eligible and not need to pay the full client price. As for the Steam related purchases, we'll be discussing them at a later time, but there won't be a separate Steam only shard for Perpetuum so if a player doesn't want to purchase the game on Steam they won't have to.

Alexander wrote:

2) Any improvement to the engine? Not in terms of appearance but performance. Perpetuum is still very much a GPU killer and while the client might be rendering a lot more things than some games perhaps adding more LOD or occlusion might not burn out a few GPU's on go live day.

Sadly the main issue with the engine is that it's not GPU but CPU limited, which is something that's only worsened by introducing extra CPU side systems. I'm trying to work on it as much as possible but without a major architectural overhaul we've pretty much reached the limits of its capabilities. We have plans to fix this but they are long term and won't be implemented for the Steam launch.

Alexander wrote:

i thought this too at first but its anyone who has three months of game time subbed ever - not three months up front.

Celebro wrote:

So ICE becomes Perp Credits?
Can I buy P.C with NIC?

Not at once, but we're not dropping the possibility. We need to inspect what problems it could cause and find the best way to deal with them first.

50% EP boots is just wrong without a way to earn it in game. This does not even close the 'Player gap' if the vets do the same and get the boost. Or pay extra each month or fall behind is a major P2W issue, please reconsider this.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

50% EP boots is just wrong without a way to earn it in game. This does not even close the 'Player gap' if the vets do the same and get the boost. Or pay extra each month or fall behind is a major P2W issue, please reconsider this.

it would be fine if you could buy per credits with nic like you can ice - this is the major thing missing imo

Can you confirm if there will be paid expansions in the future?