Topic: This game looks good during the day, but

Its really uggly during the night.

On the day i can feel that mature'' eve graphic''
And during the night it feels like world of warcraft''

2 (edited by Vorgrim Scout 2010-12-07 15:25:49)

Re: This game looks good during the day, but

I prefer the moody night look too, but you can't have it like that all the time smile

It's because there's only one layer of shadow. If you're standing under a tree's shadow, your mech doesn't cast a shadow. If the tree is under a hill's shadow, the tree doesn't cast a shadow. If it's night, nothing casts a shadow.

4 (edited by Snowman 2010-12-07 18:11:16)

in reality lights during darkness have a higher contrast! they seem brighter,  but the lights in the darkness in PO have a lower contrast.. making everything seem dull, flat and eye-straining.

I wouldnt mind so much that the lanscape is so dull during the night, but I would expect the lights on my robot, others robots and structures to seem much brighter, they dont.

Strobe-lights lie...

I don't mind the blandness of the night-time because it reminds me of, well, night.

You can definitely tell when it transitions to day.

The difference is like night and day...

Tarax wrote:

The difference IS night and day...

Fixed

The creepers come out at night.

Upgrade the lighting engine, fix 3D engine not to crash players and add more LOD to robots or other things. Terrain LOD is very nice.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Upgrade the lighting engine, fix 3D engine not to crash players and add more LOD to robots or other things. Terrain LOD is very nice.

Turn Perpetuum into Age of Conan so it doesnt run properly on even a decent machine and dies a slow, agonizing death.

10 (edited by Jeronas 2010-12-08 09:18:35)

Deolator wrote:
Alexander wrote:

Turn Perpetuum into Age of Conan so it doesnt run properly on even a decent machine and dies a slow, agonizing death.

PO is already unfriendly to older systems.

On my 3 year old MacBook Pro (with Intel 2 DuoCore, 3GB of RAM and dedicated ATI gfx) I can run games like LOTRO on high settings and Age of Conan, Fallen Earth and EverQuest 2 on Medium settings. EVE online on max settings. All with no problems whatsoever.

But PO runs like crap. Even when I set everything to low (with shadows, AA dissabled). Wich will make this game look a 100 times worse than WoW. I still not get beyond 10fps. lol.

11 (edited by Snowman 2010-12-08 10:29:15)

Tarax wrote:

I don't mind the blandness of the night-time because it reminds me of, well, night.

I think thats the point, my point anyway, it doesnt look like night, it may remind you of night but if you go into a city at night, or look at a busy highway at night lights look brighter, dazzling, awesome. In PO its more like..er a dull british winters day, depressing, uninspiring.

When your going from an alpha station to a teleport terminal where there is a constant stream of bots going back and forth.. I'd expect it to look like a highway at night...

as such..

http://blog.webgus.net/images/photos/highway_night.jpg

12 (edited by BigCountry 2010-12-08 14:08:26)

Could be worse. Could be like the idiots who made Mortal Offline and pretty much blacked out the entire screen making it remotely impossible to even play their game at "night".

rofl...

[img]http://www.cryptostudios.com/PO/Sigs/BC.jpg[/img]

The client does need some work, I don't really care for the 'gunge' look I get when it is cloudy; looks like there is a grey film on the camera lens not like it is dreary. When it is sunny, things are better. I have no issue with how things look at night.

I run it on a dual Xeon Quad cores, 12 GB of memory and Dual Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 box. It should be plenty big. It runs OK to crappy most days. Been playing online games for a long time, so I have played with all of the driver setting to see if I could improve performance.

Dual Nvidia Quadro FX 1700

your can afford to run videogames at those ultra expensive non-gaming-GFX-cards ???
I wished i had those at work...

*edit* oh wait, just checked i have those at work and they are the low end ones of the Quadros. They have been ultra expensive two years ago...

Forum Rule #5
Pyramid quoting, quoting excessive amounts of text or quoting without any senseful reply is forbidden. Only quote that is necessary to show what your reply refers to.

If there ever is a graphics update I'd say the lighting engine could be greatly improved.

More layers of shadows, possibly some real lights on the robots that give some glow especially for the eyes ( do note that some glow does not equal Satan Incarnate evil eye glow.... ) and probably some more improvements could be made.

But overall I'd say the game is more then good enough.

*Insert really awesome sig here*

16 (edited by Jon Foster 2010-12-08 19:35:43)

My machine is my money maker IRL, so I bought a Dell T7400 workstation from the outlet a couple of years ago.

I have a real problem with FPS. I run at 1920 X 1200 which is native mode for my monitor. If i crank everything down, I can get 10 fps. If I turn on shadows, it drops to about 4 to 5 fps.

My network latency is about 150. (less than 20 to the NY transatlantic crossover pop)

Not to compare games, but it is the only other game I play, in Eve I run with everything (except HDR) to the max and I hit the FPS throttle.

I have no problems with the night... but why is the weather always so bad and cloudy.
I guess I have only seen one day with good weather, and I liked it so much I forget to buy enough mining ammunition....

Jeronas wrote:

On my 3 year old MacBook Pro

this has nothing to do with your performance issues since we all know that Macs are built and marketed specifically with hardcore gaming in mind

playing a PVP mmo on a mac, unless it has its OWN mac client, in any form is like bringing a spoon to a gun fight

19 (edited by Chief Ubenor 2010-12-09 19:41:45)

Jeronas wrote:
Deolator wrote:
Alexander wrote:

PO is already unfriendly to older systems.

On my 3 year old MacBook Pro (with Intel 2 DuoCore, 3GB of RAM and dedicated ATI gfx) I can run games like LOTRO on high settings and Age of Conan, Fallen Earth and EverQuest 2 on Medium settings. EVE online on max settings. All with no problems whatsoever.

But PO runs like crap. Even when I set everything to low (with shadows, AA dissabled). Wich will make this game look a 100 times worse than WoW. I still not get beyond 10fps. lol.

Unfortunately this is true. PO Graphics engine sucks hairy balls. You need a really good PC to run it smoothly and NOT just on high settings but even on low-medium settings. I run one of the accounts on my wife's PC that I build myself for her. There is 2.6Ghz CPU under the hood, 4GB of RAM and GTX260 graphics card. That PC can run LOTRO on max with AAs enabled. But I can barely run PO even on low settings. PO either needs to be polished a LOT, or it simply has the worst graphics engine which I consider the latter since they probably couldn't afford a good engine in the first place... sad

I can run game on max but only on my main PC with 10GB RAM, 1GB Radeon HD 5870, 3Ghz dual core CPU, and 10000RPM HDD. Considering that 3D models in game look pretty crappy - its just awful that it requires so much juice in your PC to run on max. Very very crappy unpolished graphics engine.

What looks really good in this game - are the effects and it seems to have some high definition rendering that enables pretty realistic sun rays in a mix with shadows. But graphics engine still sux they need to polish the engine and do something to decrease the lag and rubberbending.

They built the engine, they didnt buy any engine.  They came from a crowd where efficiency in code size was the only thing that mattered, so I'm not very surprised that it doesnt handle resources very well.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki