Re: Test server up again

This isn't a troll.  You can log out with a PVP flag.

Go test it.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

You mean safe logout?

Go flag yourself.

And log out.

Your out in 2 min no matter what.

So broken.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

But that's how it is on the live server too.

That rule was switched to the combination of two things: your robot is not removed as long as you are attacked, and your modules stop when you log out with a pvp flag.

I know its on the live server.

Your telling me that I am allowed to log out with a PVP flag?

Please pardon me being a smart ***, but why the *** is it like that?

/Rant off.

Mr. Zoom It needs to be like this, if your flagged, you stay there.  When your flag drops THEN you disappear from terrain.

A PVP flag is the trump card of everything.  If you have it you stay no matter what.   As it happens now its quicker for me just to log out after a hit, or while running away.  Then I just sit there with a less expensive bot watching and making sure I am out safe.  Verse me sitting there for 5 min then logging out, another 2 min.

So I am safe now in 2 min, verse safe in 7 min.

Just my two cents on this.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Another Note.  Your mods need to stop whenever your disconnect, safelog out, or basically drop any connection.

We still have magical disconnected mining going on.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

So what's the point of keeping you on the terrain with a pvp flag when you're not being attacked even?

Hm, by this logic remove the flag itself then.

Really, if there isn't any point to it then just pull it.  Right now the only thing it removes me from doing is docking up.

The point is what I had thought you intended it to be.  Was to give out a small penalty for attacking whatever you did, and giving others a chance to counter you, rather then just giving out a 2 min window, you have a 7 min window.

I am actually quite shocked that this was intentionally put in.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

I think you're trying too hard to connect the pvp flag with logoff mechanics. Having the flag does not necessarily imply that you're in combat, that's why we're now using the "in combat" state to counter the "logoffski" issue as players call it.

I don't think we should penalize pvp by keeping you out there for 7 minutes instead of 2 when nothing wants to kill you. And please don't come with "yeah but that sitting duck could be detected in those 2 to 7 minutes and get killed" because that's just screwing with people unnecessarily.

35 (edited by Merkle 2014-02-05 23:08:24)

Ok then rename the PVP flag to something else.

Zoom please understand this HELPS me and how I play, it DOES NOT hurt me in anyway.

This is just so asininely dumb I cant express it.

And having a PVP flag DOES state your in combat or WERE in combat.  That would be why its called a PVP FLAG.

Edit: This also does not screw people, with your changes to leave any island with a flag whenever they wish.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

DEV Zoom wrote:

I don't think we should penalize pvp by keeping you out there for 7 minutes instead of 2 when nothing wants to kill you.

By your reasoning above, why have a pvp flag for 5 minutes then?

I think Merkle has a good point.

RIP PERPETUUM

The PvP flag is and always has been just an indicator that you can be attacked even in protected zones. In this regard it does not make much sense in an inherently PvP zone, it's just part of the global mechanics. Over time we have tied a few mechanics to it because it made sense, but this doesn't mean that it's all we can use to solve problems or that we can't change its importance in favor of something more dynamic like the "in combat" status.

You're arguing about mechanics for the sake of arguing and semantics but I still haven't seen anything about what's wrong with the current setup.

Zoom I do not agrue with a Dev just for the sake of arguing.   I see a problem with the mechanic, and the times that are allowed.  If you dont see a problem then that is ok with me.  As we will use and abuse this FULLY, and without any regard to anything else. 

All that I am trying to do is show you the problem, and then how to fix said problem.

If it is just a indicator then just remove it, and make it so your aggression timer is under 30 sec so that we can fully move around freely and dock and undock as we wish.

The problem is not movement, the problem is that I dont need to move at all.  With a 2 min timer all I need to do is kill something then log.  Very few times can players react in under 2 min let alone agress you.

This negates the fact that I need to run off a island or rather do anything more then what I just said.  But again, its just more power to me, so go ahead and keep it.  I will use the feature whenever I deem fit.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

^ Agreed.

Merkle wrote:

The problem is not movement, the problem is that I dont need to move at all.  With a 2 min timer all I need to do is kill something then log.  Very few times can players react in under 2 min let alone agress you.

I assume this is a 1on1 situation because otherwise you wouldn't be able to log.

So in that case: why would you log? Unless you want to stop playing right there anyway, in which case this conversation doesn't make sense since I thought this is about getting away from an ongoing combat situation.

If you gank someone on hostile territory(say on someone's gamma) and just X-out the client, it's very likely nothing will be able to reach you with that time but on the other hand, if you were to wait out the timer and safelog, you are in much more danger. X-ing out a client should not be used tactically.

This is just one example.

You won the fight, you don't see any threat around, and you log out so you have a new risk of not knowing when to come back again? That just doesn't make sense to me.

You gank a scarab on a gamma teleport, or for that matter you even shoot a proximity probe on a gamma teleport. Should you be able to log out before a tp beacon can warm up? That's the issue I think. instead of 7 minutes to do so before, its now 2 minutes..

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Btw. just a minor detail, but it wasn't 7 minutes before either. If the PvP timer lasted longer than your logout timer then the PvP timer became practically your logout timer. So it was 5 minutes at most.

45 (edited by Merkle 2014-02-06 07:24:19)

Bingo......

I had thought that I was originally helping, I can see now that my help is nu-nessicary.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

O.o

I played the game after 2 min logoff change with the "old" PVP logout system. I dont even think you could change this so I didnt test whats happening when you in PVP flag, this is explain the problem.

Btw thx the info.

+1 to PVP 5 min then 2 min safelog

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

47 (edited by Celebro 2014-02-06 16:17:23)

Zoom: You seem to be ok for players to disappear from game with pvp flag after 2 minutes, that is clear and it is your opinion on the matter, fine.. but pvp flagged you cannot enter terminal for 5 mins which is the way you want it too ,so basically, 2 different timers are contradicting themselves. Which one do you want?

So what does the player do? They will use the 2 minute logoff timer instead of docking and there goes the other timer out the window. It's meaningless.

RIP PERPETUUM

Well I think I have explained my reasoning, but I surrender to the people's will then.

Celebro this is what I was attempting to get at.

Zoom I just dont care any more what way it is, I would just rather see some consistency on the matter however.
As it stands now I am far better off just logging out and watching with another guy to save a larger more expensive bot.  Rather then running around, or running to a terminal.

If you wish to keep it how it is, fine.  Just reduce the PVP flag down to 2 min, so that this is equal to enter terminals as well. 

Right now you have no control over logins, but you do have control over people running to log out.  As a example, again Eve, uses a 15 min aggression timer.  You stay on grid until your 15 min is up, and THEN you go poof after you log out.  If your targeted then you stay no matter what (I like this btw).

Using that as a example I would, dare I say, actually INCREASE the timer.  But I highly doubt anyone will even want to touch that one with a five foot pole.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

Right now you have no control over logins, but you do have control over people running to log out.  As a example, again Eve, uses a 15 min aggression timer.  You stay on grid until your 15 min is up, and THEN you go poof after you log out.  If your targeted then you stay no matter what (I like this btw).

Using that as a example I would, dare I say, actually INCREASE the timer.  But I highly doubt anyone will even want to touch that one with a five foot pole.

The timers purpose is for the attacker to commit themselves , and give the 'victim' enough time to retaliate. 

In Eve it is easier to warp or hide and get out of harms way, that's why it's 15min. In Perp 15min pvp timer is too high. I think because its much harder to get out of trouble but around 7min seems just about right. 2 minute timer seems that the defender has not enough time to make it 'even'.

RIP PERPETUUM