1 (edited by Burial 2014-05-06 19:13:31)

Topic: Rank 5 Beta spawns

People have absolutely no reason to farm Beta spawns. It's PVP area and explosion damage sucks. Cortexes should be added to Beta rank 5 spawns as rare drops.

Regular farmer Bob should get roughly 1 Cortex every 1-2 hours of farming.

Re: Rank 5 Beta spawns

Why not just farm active saps from Beta Islands?  Or artifact scan?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

3 (edited by Burial 2014-01-20 15:08:39)

The suggested update is not about getting cortexes but giving more value to farming NPCs on Beta.

The item itself could be replaced with anything of high value but Cortex seems like a good fit since:
- There's same amount of Cortex types as there are NPC types(light, assault, mech, heavy)
- Inflation of Cortexes is more or less balanced since more MK2s will hopefully be destroyed too.

Ville wrote:

Why not just farm active saps from Beta Islands?  Or artifact scan?

Too small chances being intercepted during sap farmnig. I think the whole idea is mostly about ppl are farming NPC on Betas to make some cortexes, and other ppl are farming first ppl just for lulz. Which is good.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Pretty sure people dont farm Beta spawns simply because other players can kill them. You don't farm in PvP fits.

Farming for Vets is either beacons or the highest level Alpha 2 spawns, soley for the reason above. Artifacting and SAPs provide a fairly steady and reasonable supply of cortexes. Also, artifacting provides many noobs an actual valuable resource and instant cash injection when they find cortexes since the demand and market is there.

I agree there should be a reason to farm NPCs on Beta. ATM I see really no point in farming at beta  (beside prove  you can do it)

Before distress beacons and terraforming box/exploit, players had to farm on beta, and we did.

RIP PERPETUUM

8 (edited by Burial 2014-01-20 18:30:48)

Back when Betas had more population people used to farm there. This change just gives more reasons to go through the efforts of living there and locking it down as securely as possible. Miners can exploit Epriton and combats can do Rank 5 spawns.

I think increasing the T4 drops would be better.

People used to farm on beta mainly because of t4 and t5 hmech/mech kernels, which were almost not available on alphas (not enough for real research). Furthermore Observers of all kinds used to drop tasty observer kernels. Neither observer nor t4+hmech/mech kernels exist today anymore. The entire research tree can be unlocked by farming t3 and t4 light bot spawns and roaming spawns (mainly for indu kernels) on alpha. On top of that, beacon pits offer a 10 times better possibility to farm high lvl NPCs and the market is already saturated with kernels anyway.
Why would anyone with half a brain risk their expensive bots by farming on betas? Except for the lolz, nobody.

11 (edited by Martha Stuart 2014-01-21 08:19:34)

I like the idea, but i think it should be the roaming spawns on beta/gamma.  As of right now roaming spawns are completely pointless.  Make them worth hunting down.

1) Make the roaming spawns MK II bots and give them a small chance of dropping cortexes. 
2) Remove cortexes from active sap loot.
3) Decrease the re-spawn rate of roaming spawns to 12 hours or something longer to slow the influx of cortexes.

MK II's should not be the defacto standard in combat!!  MK II's should be something special, so when a corp brings a mk II fleet, everyone knows the s**t just got real.

Edit:  another idea would be to make 3 stripe Star beacons drop cortexes.

Burial wrote:

Back when Betas had more population people used to farm there. This change just gives more reasons to go through the efforts of living there and locking it down as securely as possible. Miners can exploit Epriton and combats can do Rank 5 spawns.

This was because you needed certain kinds of rats to get certain kinds of tech. Now realistically there's no reason to rat on beta at all as you can complete research from alpha. The only logical reason to rat on beta is increased efficiency.

With that in mind you would need to:

Rebalance kernels removing their current status as a major bottleneck

Move all tier 4 and 5 rats from alpha

Increase observer rewards, return to old AI and remove them from beta

13 (edited by Burial 2014-01-21 13:11:50)

Your posts exactly outline the problem - there's practically no sensible reason to farm spawns on Beta and it's broken if it stays like that. With risk should come a proper reward.

I think the idea of removing Hitech kernels to Betas only is a sensible idea. I always support segregating different items to different regions since the free market will balance itself out without any extra help.

What about beacons and rank 4-5 NPCs?

It all depends: I would like to find out how efficient is Kernal farming on Alpha 2 compared to beta now, if the rewards are very good, then it's still worth, but we need that information to make a comparison.

RIP PERPETUUM

beta farming is very hard compared to alpha. you have only red npcs so i dont know if the SR fits will realy work. and of cource the T5s on beta are quite a bit harder then the T4s on alpha.

if you have to switch to LR or bring in 2 combats, then it surely will not get a better result per hour and per player.
i havent done any alpha farming in a long time. but at my end of it i was able to generate around 26mil NIC/h only in plasma. not counting loot (tribble accounting but only one player. one combat, one support one looter). NPCs usually died as fast as they could spawn.

for beta we would have to bring this to the test. but i guess it would not be wise to loot in combat with a scarab mk2 on a beta island with red npcs...

Well, hopefully Beta missions will be worth doing. Too bad if you live on Beta2. sad

Burial wrote:

Well, hopefully Beta missions will be worth doing. Too bad if you live on Beta2. sad

Hopefully, part of the 2nd assignment changes could add the best missions in the game on beta 2s.

RIP PERPETUUM

BUMP

Ide like to see all static spawns removed and have only mission and roaming spawns. The mission spawns do not need to be static as they can be generated in a random location on the island when the mission is accepted.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

20 (edited by Sundial 2014-05-07 03:22:22)

The good profitable level 5 spawns on beta are meant to be done as a group not solo or multiboxing. Factor in explosion damage and it is very profitable compared to alpha... that is, if you can lock down your island lol

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:

The good profitable level 5 spawns on beta are meant to be done as a group not solo or multiboxing. Factor in explosion damage and it is very profitable compared to alpha... that is, if you can lock down your island lol

If you are doing it as a group you are also splitting the rewards, something not needing to be done on Alpha2 spawns.

22 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2014-05-07 10:03:27)

Mob hunting on Beta definitely needs another incentive given that beacons exist.*

The incentive, however, needs to be something unique to killing an NPC on Beta.

Maybe something like a dog tag where a certain number of dog tags (think lots) can be exchanged in the Syndicate store for special ammo, special gear or even special robots or ... well, I think we all know the Syndicate store has huge potential but that's covered in other threads.

*Personally I'd get rid of beacons completely - at the very least get rid of them from SAP loot and up their SS price.

Burial wrote:
Sundial wrote:

If you are doing it as a group you are also splitting the rewards, something not needing to be done on Alpha2 spawns.

T4 item drops are well worth it.

24 (edited by Annihilator 2014-05-07 20:17:04)

god damn, rework the concept of "plasma drops".
if could farm on npcs on beta for better income then on alpha and dont lose it all just because someone who doesn't like me comes around and shoots me down - i would actually consider taking the risk going there, and taking the risk to defend myself against an attacker instead of loggoffski or teleporting out - because i would eventually have a positive experience on my wallet. not a tripple loss because i lose my robot, my loot and my drive to go there again.

edit:
oh and freeking rethink NPCs. the difference between pve and pvp is more then night&day.
NPCs are only worth shooting if you kill the biggest one hack&slay style, while pvp is actual combat.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Burial wrote:
Sundial wrote:

Is there something fundamentally wrong with that? I don't think removing L4 spawns from alpha will fix that you can't solo farm on beta. Also it is beta the next step up from alpha where you need to be organized and work as a team to achieve goals...

If beta is the problem fix beta.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.