1 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-08 19:04:44)

Topic: The GAP...

There prolly is *** of these posts here, and I didn't look long enough, so sue me... Here we go either way.

With the steam release around the corner, that will prolly lead to more peeps looking Perp up, the question that many of them will have is ofc "How the HELL can I ever catch up to dem ol hardcore gamers that's been here since day 1!?!?". Well, I don't think they should do it that easily. Not at all actually. I'm not for a buy EP-kind of thing. But what I would like to see is some kind daily mission being implemented. Many other game has dailies. That give you different things. How about Perp having a system, with some daily missions, that will get the agent X-amount of EP. And the way it would scale, or the amount of EP you will get from these, will all be based on how much EP you already have. So it would look like a mountain, where you get more when you have little EP, and less when you at the top of the mountain, looking down at the poor nOObs trying to reach your hights. Still ol-timers can do it, but they would recive alot less ofc. The ol school diminishing returns-rule would rule here. And having them as dailies would also make it so noone can spam them like crazy. I think this would lead to new players having some hope, and stick around longer, and ol timers, will benefit for it as well, cause every1 ol timer knows the game needs players more then anything, and if they wanna do these missions for some feeble extra EP, they can as well. I just want the GAP between old timers and new players to shrink. Not disapear. I want the game to flourish. And I think this would make more new players stay.

What do you guys think? Do you even see it as a problem? I know alot of my MMO friends that won't play because of this. And I hate that there ain't SOME system in there to make this gap smaller...

2 (edited by SpnX 2014-01-08 18:45:02)

Re: The GAP...

The fact is with an increase in population I believe that even new people with have a place within a corp to do stuff and many people who use several accounts today will cut down and let the new people do the job.

Edit: I like the idea of daily mission but no ep reward :-)

3 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-08 18:52:48)

SpnX wrote:

The fact is with an increase in population I believe that even new people with have a place within a corp to do stuff and many people who use several accounts today will cut down and let the new people do the job.

Edit: I like the idea of daily mission but no ep reward :-)

This is prolly true as well. But I know peeps WON'T play, at all, knowing they can't do ANYTHING to gain SOMETHING on those ol timers. And I want something to make those guys stay as well. Some players need to swallow their "EP-pride", and not be so afraid of new players gaining some EP on them. It's all for the greater good of the game. At least for me and many others. I will be here either way. But I want alot more players around me then there is today. I even spoke to some new players in GC, and many of them raised this concern as well.

I still think within 3-6 months any new player can be competitive ep wise with vets. The biggest advantage that vets have at this point is accumulated wealth and knowledge of game mechanics, imo.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

I still think within 3-6 months any new player can be competitive ep wise with vets. The biggest advantage that vets have at this point is accumulated wealth and knowledge of game mechanics, imo.

Prolly true as well. That they "somewhat" can make a mark at that stage. But many will STILL leave before that knowing the evil "GAP" to ol timers can never shrink.

6 (edited by Celebro 2014-01-08 18:58:23)

After Steam they are tackling these issues with improved missions/PVE aspect of the game. The problems with Perp IMO it has always been too centered around PVP, but few changes have improved the PVE experience. There needs to be a balance, both PVP/PVE thrive from each other.

RIP PERPETUUM

How about diminishing returns for EP generation. The lower the total EP, the higher EP/min

8 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-08 19:05:01)

Celebro wrote:

After Steam they are tackling these issues with improved missions/PVE aspect of the game. The problems with Perp IMO it has always been too centered around PVP, but few changes have improved the PVE experience. There needs to be a balance, both PVP/PVE thrive from each other.

Completely agree with this as well. But that's a whole other subject. Even though my daily-suggestion could work fine in the PVE-section. I don't see anything bad coming from something like I suggested, except some ol timers crying bout not having the GAP constant. With my suggestion they won't EVER catch up, cause we have the diminishing returns in place. But it WILL make new players feel alot better by themselves. And stick around longer. And the longer they stay, the better the game will be for EVERY1.

I read a recent post here quoting a Syndic (sigh, I feel dirty now) observation that the EP cost of lvl 8-10 extensions for the small benefits they gave meant newer players could close the gap fairly quickly, and be "close enough".

I agree with this. Also as mentioned, experience and wisdom is probably a vets bigger advantage.
Also when a vet is close or maxxed in an area he spends his EP in other areas, so the gap the noob is trying to catch up to doesn't grow any more, in that area.

Jasdemi wrote:

How about diminishing returns for EP generation. The lower the total EP, the higher EP/min

Look closely, it is already this way, read Cassius post.

RIP PERPETUUM

11 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-08 19:16:31)

Aaron Sool wrote:

There prolly is *** of these posts here, and I didn't look long enough, so sue me... Here we go either way.

WOT

Yes there have been infinite discussions about this.  There will me more too.

I will try and dig some up for you.

-------------

These are mine, I'll dig up everyone elses in a sec: (some of mine are off the wall but ideas none the less)

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ulated-ep/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -not-free/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ed-months/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … l-awesome/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … or-perp-o/

more coming

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … an-server/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … reetoplay/

Btw, Gunner. Thanks for the heads up on Starbound. The wife and I are having fun with it. Terraria on roids.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Cassius wrote:

I read a recent post here quoting a Syndic (sigh, I feel dirty now) observation that the EP cost of lvl 8-10 extensions for the small benefits they gave meant newer players could close the gap fairly quickly, and be "close enough".

I agree with this. Also as mentioned, experience and wisdom is probably a vets bigger advantage.
Also when a vet is close or maxxed in an area he spends his EP in other areas, so the gap the noob is trying to catch up to doesn't grow any more, in that area.

While this could be the case in the long run. It will still not lead to new players staying. New players WILL leave because of this either way. While I totally agree with you guys here, you need to look at it from the perpective of these guys, that after a month or two, sees that they still can't do ***, and get *** wherever they go, hear how much EP ol timers have, and will shrink to a ant, and think "*** dis shiiiit. I won't ever catch up to dem ***, so I go and play some ESO (or any other crap wanna be sandbox game out there)".
I just want SOME system there to make them earn some extra EP to feel good bout themselves, that won't upset ol-timers to much, and make us all one big happy community. tongue

Gunner wrote:
Aaron Sool wrote:

WOT

Yes there have been infinite discussions about this.  There will me more too.

I will try and dig some up for you.

-------------

These are mine, I'll dig up everyone elses in a sec: (some of mine are off the wall but ideas none the less)

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ulated-ep/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -not-free/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ed-months/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … l-awesome/

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … or-perp-o/

more coming

No please don't. Sue me instead...

They are worth reading.

Everyone should be on a level playing field.

So we should all have the same EP, and have equal equipment when doing any activity.  Either PVE, or PVP.

This would require the stoppage of all EP for all the Higher LVL guys, just until everyone is back up to the top.
As for equipment, everyone should be restricted back down to T1 Equipment, until everyone has the chance to a quire appropriate stocks of T4 equipment.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

17 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-08 19:48:02)

Gunner wrote:

They are worth reading.

I would be all for a system for players to catsh up, since I think this is what will lead to new players leaving the most. Any suggestion that leads to the gap shrinking, and new players staying, I'm all for it. This was just a suggestion from me. But as long as SOMETHING is done bout it. I'm a happy camper. Cause what I want more then ANYTHING, is for this game to have a higher pop, that I think it deserves. And I wanna erase as much minuses that could lead to new players leaving the game prematurely as possible. And I think the GAP to ol timers is the biggest minus fo them ol...

18 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-08 19:26:29)

Its a pretty F'ed up situation.

If I were the Devs, Id start a Greenlight server and keep a legacy server.

I would start a new guy in an instant.    (6 new guys    smile    )

Merkle wrote:

Everyone should be on a level playing field.

So we should all have the same EP, and have equal equipment when doing any activity.  Either PVE, or PVP.

This would require the stoppage of all EP for all the Higher LVL guys, just until everyone is back up to the top.
As for equipment, everyone should be restricted back down to T1 Equipment, until everyone has the chance to a quire appropriate stocks of T4 equipment.

No need to be silly bout this. This ain't what NOONE here are saying. This is just stupid and doesn't add anything to the issue at hand.

I think the hope at this point is that enough new players join to make the remaining number of veterans insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It wouldn't take as many as you think....

21 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-08 19:38:35)

Shadowmine wrote:

I think the hope at this point is that enough new players join to make the remaining number of veterans insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It wouldn't take as many as you think....

Hehe. You got a scary point there. tongue But still. Something bout the EP gap.  S O M E  T H I N G . . .

This game is not meant to be instant gratification.

Every player who has stayed in this game went thru the "i'm 2 months old and can't do *** vs a Vet"
The ones that did 't quit can do *** as a reward. This is a game of patience and character building rewarded with RT pvp and empire building. The fact that everyone gets 1 EP per minute is what makes everyone equal.

Don't lose faith, play with your corp, maybe a guy or 2 will help you along.

23 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-08 19:45:16)

Cassius wrote:

This game is not meant to be instant gratification.

Every player who has stayed in this game went thru the "i'm 2 months old and can't do *** vs a Vet"
The ones that did 't quit can do *** as a reward. This is a game of patience and character building rewarded with RT pvp and empire building. The fact that everyone gets 1 EP per minute is what makes everyone equal.

Don't lose faith, play with your corp, maybe a guy or 2 will help you along.

This all looks fine on paper. In MMO-reality. Not so fine. And saying "we all went through that stage"-is just scary, knowing how many active players we have now... That didn't seem to go to well for the game did it? Now we have a chance to do SOMETHING bout it, and give new players a incentive to stay longer. I can't see this as a bad thing. And I don't get how anyone else could either. Except those that cling to their EP like some holy grail. Just makes some here sound like Gollom "MY PRECIOUS!!!!!!! (EP)...". Just drop that and look for what would be the best thing for the game in the long run.

Ep is nothing.

Content is everything.

That's it.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

25 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-08 19:56:14)

Line wrote:

Ep is nothing.

Content is everything.

That's it.

EP is alot for a new player. Content is what's most important overall. But in most other games, new players can at some point catch on to those guys that were there from launch. That gives them hope, and they don't care bout being *** early on, cause they know they powerlevel some, and the gap is gone. In Perp you can't do SHIIIIIIIIIIT to close that gap. I'm not saying EVERY1 will leave due to it. Not at all. But some will. And why not make it so that they stay? Why not implement something like this to raise the chances for more peeps to play Perp? What bad can come from this?