Topic: optimized engineering extension not granting bonus

I have optimizwed engineering trained to lev 8. The unmodified cpu use for a T4 sensor amp is 19 and the unmodified cpu use for a T4 signal detector is 100.  When I equip them they do not reduce to the modified amount. They remain 19 & 100 respectively.  Both are listed under engineering modules in the information link of the extension and should therefore get the extension bonus but don't.

Re: optimized engineering extension not granting bonus

they are both electronics not engineering

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

they are both electronics not engineering

True.  But, if you go to extensions panel, click on the "I" for optimized engineering and then click on what modules are included, you will see both listed.  So, at least according to the game's own info, the modules should be getting the bonuses.  One or the other is wrong.  Either the extension should give the bonuses as per the info for it, or the info needs to be corrected (and I wasted a few k worth of EP).  Can't have it both ways.

Calio wrote:

True.  But, if you go to extensions panel, click on the "I" for optimized engineering and then click on what modules are included, you will see both listed.

Which localization is that? In English the extension info points to this help page, where sensor amp and signal detector are clearly listed under the electronic equipment section.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Calio wrote:

True.  But, if you go to extensions panel, click on the "I" for optimized engineering and then click on what modules are included, you will see both listed.

Which localization is that? In English the extension info points to this help page, where sensor amp and signal detector are clearly listed under the electronic equipment section.

Yes, but in the extension info the engineering equipment link lists both engineering AND electronic modules and gives the distinct impression that BOTH are included, particularly because there is no seperate electronic extension (and since both are listed, the assumption is that in this particular case engineering covers both)

We have a lot of links in the game which point to a help page which is a collection of things, and doesn't just include t the linked item only. Fact is that if the extension description wouldn't include a help link, we wouldn't have this conversation, because it is definite. It just happens to be that it links to a page that says "Engineering and electronics", which obviously wasn't created to be the description of the extension. You really have to make some bad assumptions here to think that electronic equipment is also affected.

7 (edited by Calio 2013-10-06 15:09:20)

I'm not going to argue the point as I'm highly unlikely to change your mind (google "confirmation bias"), it's a minor problem, and as even minor problems go, it's so minor in comparison to other minor problems (having the kernel research option next to the destroy option with similar pop-ups,  inability to lock items so they can't be recycled, etc) that it's a waste of my time.  But I do want to make two points.

1)  My assumptions are not "bad" assumptions.  They are simply not the assumptions you wanted or expected players to make.  If players always did things the way a dev team wanted or expected, then there would never be such a thing as exploits.  So, just maybe, if a player suggests something is not clear or a problem, you should seriously consider the possibility that it is.

2) Your use of the term "bad" implies a certain arrogance which isn't terribly flattering to you.

8 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-10-06 21:16:24)

Calio wrote:

I'm not going to argue the point as I'm highly unlikely to change your mind (google "confirmation bias"), it's a minor problem, and as even minor problems go, it's so minor in comparison to other minor problems (having the kernel research option next to the destroy option with similar pop-ups,  inability to lock items so they can't be recycled, etc) that it's a waste of my time.  But I do want to make two points.

1)  My assumptions are not "bad" assumptions.  They are simply not the assumptions you wanted or expected players to make.  If players always did things the way a dev team wanted or expected, then there would never be such a thing as exploits.  So, just maybe, if a player suggests something is not clear or a problem, you should seriously consider the possibility that it is.

2) Your use of the term "bad" implies a certain arrogance which isn't terribly flattering to you.

RTFM smile

Calio wrote:

google "confirmation bias"

How is this open to interpretation? The help page is called 'Engineering and Electronics', with headings indicating which type of module is either engineering or electronics. On top of that, the market groups are also pretty straightforward in this respect.

Ironically, especially in light of your dreaded EP expenditure ("I wasted a few k worth of EP"), you're the one interpreting the information presented to you in a biased way.

lol

I see how this can be confusing, you open up the information window for this extension with a link to 'engineering equipment' which actually presents you with both electronic and engineering modules, can't blame anyone that assumes this link only opens engineering equipment.

More like RTFM very carefully....

Celebro's body guard