Re: Steam release, full 100% reset. Plus free to play model. Awesome!

I'm talking about a new shard for the Steam launch.

People can opt out if they want.

27 (edited by Zonoth 2013-08-24 04:38:21)

Well, the thing is, while many do not agree with gunners approach, I think we can all agree that drastic changes need to be made in order to make perpetuum financially successful.

At this moment players keep draining away from this already very small playerbase. And eventually perpetuum will reach the point where the developers are simply forced to pull the plug. And the upcoming steam launch might very well be the last chance to turn things around and while I personally think a wipe with drastic gameplay changes would be the best for the game, we can be certain its not going to happen.

Also simply adding a server / shard / realm would have the identical effect just like a wipe, because everyone would switch to the popular server and the old one would simply be empty. But that would require resources they don't have.

Anyway, I hope for best - a successful steam launch, no matter how it will be done. But I'm pretty sure the "big" steam launch is going to look like this: Perpetuum stays the way it is, there will be a minor influx of new players who will vanish after a week and we are here again. 5 players with 10 active accounts each flaming and trolling each other on the forums cause the game is dead.

/edit lol sorry bout the typo, also its no alt its my main collecting ep

Zonoth wrote:

will reach the point where we developers are simply forced to pull the plug.

We? Who are you? Stop hiding behind alts.

RIP PERPETUUM

I'd be game with a wipe-all, since the current 1.5m EP players will gobble up gammma, or at least blockade the entry points so that no newbs have half a chance because they'll never achieve parity with the beta players (us).

The problem that the devs face is how to attract, and /keep/, new players (removal of the mind numbing time sinks would go a LONG way) without driving the established players away so badly that they kill the game through word-of-mouth and flame posts wherever it's mentioned.

I'm not a 'new' player, but nor am I an established vet with all of the perks and overwhelming power the vets have amassed, so find myself wondering... what's here to keep me in the game?
I used to enjoy artifacting but that's become a dead horse without a market because the vets already have all that they need and then some.  Mining is mind numbing (strange - on Alpha2 every ore field my scanner points to is under a static red spawn) and harvesting just as bad.
Researching and building is okay - but there's no market to sell to.
Missions?  Alpha... okay.  Boring as sin and laughably limited.
Beta - undocked twice, made it 300m before some yuts goes after me with a MK2 Kain the first time, MK2 Waspish the second in a different terminal on a different island.

So... yeah... nothing to keep new, low EP players in the game whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAKG-kbKeIo

This might be the last few of the owners topics.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

They can't even fix the lag.  Hope you guys have fun in this dead game...  well what is left of it anyway.   cool

Some people play checkers, some play chess...  Once in a while you can find a guy playing GO.  The former is prey, the secondary is a teacher, and the latter is a general.

reroll for steam

Such things everyone should ask personally for himself. If you want reset, you can remove your character and start from zero wink

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Hunter wrote:

Such things everyone should ask personally for himself. If you want reset, you can remove your character and start from zero wink

good point

I think they should keep the server they have now for the bitter vets who want to keep going with the stuff they have now smile , and create a 2nd server at steam release for people who would like to start completely fresh,

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

A new server will not fix people not being good at any game.

You cant patch stupid.  You cant outlaw idiocy.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

BeastmodeGuNs wrote:

I think they should keep the server they have now for the bitter vets who want to keep going with the stuff they have now smile , and create a 2nd server at steam release for people who would like to start completely fresh,

with a record like yours I would be begging for a wipe too.

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

being the only ones left isnt a victory, its denial

39 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2013-08-25 23:45:49)

Xadhoom wrote:
BeastmodeGuNs wrote:

with a record like yours I would be begging for a wipe too.

tell me where the bad man touched your epeen.

This has nothing to do with record and Epeen, this is just me saying that there should be 2 server so new people can have the option to get *** on by people with 800k+ EP for a while(current server) or try out the 2nd but new server where everyone starts fresh and everyone has equal chance(a new server), OR just play both servers if its really that tempting, it depends on what people want and they would not be forced to play a specific server, but im thinking most of the new players would be on the new server if say a 2nd server were to be made when steam release happened, fully wiped and *** all, though some would still go to the old server but it would mostly be of bitter vets rubbing that epeen on each other.

And Graz, ask me If I give a *** about my record at this point? I don't, all i care about right now is the game getting a decent pop, and there being good and decent PvP when the game has that decent Pop, and to hopefully actually see more fights with assaults, light ewars + mechs and less MK2 Heavy Mech welp fleets

jeez guys lets show a little bit of modesty here

STC did good and they won.  Lets give a round of appluase.  Well deserved.

now, on to things of Steam

The hoard or new players will get a sense of imbalance.  That could be a huge huge problem.  I dont want them scared away.

I am not afraid of starting with 0 EP, not in the least bit.  PvP is not just EP, although it really helps, lol.

I understand it happening in EVE where newbie corps could get war decced by vets and shown some hard love but  here, no-one is forcing newbies to wander off living in PVP zone.

42 (edited by BeastmodeGuNs 2013-08-26 00:08:14)

Burial wrote:

I understand it happening in EVE where newbie corps could get war decced by vets and shown some hard love but  here, no-one is forcing newbies to wander off living in PVP zone.

Did you ever think that newbies might want to try PvP but when they do the way things are, they would get *** anally with 0 chance for it

burial said "hard" "love" and "but"     big_smile

44 (edited by Burial 2013-08-26 00:19:38)

Living in PVP zone and wanting some PVP is completely different story, Beast. When a newbie goes off and starts to live on beta/gamma, without knowing half things about the game, he is just marking himself for everyone including other newbies and vets.

These same newbies, after 3-4 months of playing and learning can be formitable on the field though, if they stick around.

Gunner wrote:

bugs are one thing, but changing vital game mechanics or introducing off-the-wall game mechanics, then fixing them after people have invested time in to them is awesome.

EvE would never do this. Right?

@ Beast ... Try and leave the smack out ..
And do you and Gunner actually think that a second server will have any other effect different from the total wipe you are suggesting?

@ Gunner ... Is this the new forum campaign now?
You make a post about us in denial, we are alone in a dead game, then a few posts later on congrats you won, lets re-roll. Holy sarcasm much?

Judging from the SpT topic is it your intention to spam this topic with the same message in every post, written in different ways? People may be on to you. You say no easy mode, yet you want everything on easy mode. The arguement that a newbie can't own a Gamma is bullshit. Not because this is not true but because this is the way the game is meant to be. Why don't you delete your EvE accounts and start a few new players and sail off into lowsec and 0.0 and be the leet PvPer you are. Both games require a time based progression of your character's abilities. The game needs these timesinks in order to have a reason for players to extend their subs.

Maybe I will try and get on topic.

I support a server wipe. With conditions. And for good reasons, not simply because it may get new players.

Wipe the server if the mechanics that cause lag and memory consumption cannot be fixed any other way.  Basically if the code can be fixed only by a reset then do it. Use it to make a better running game, not an even political landscape.
And if wiped, compensate the player base with their assets and time in the new server.  Bring a percentage of a players nic, EP, and even Gamma structures into the new server. I could live with a third of my assets and EP on a new server if the game itself was recoded to be rock solid, hardware resource savy, and solid gameplay mechanics.

This is the only way I could see a wipe considered. I don't play EvE anymore. What would the reaction on the EvE forums be if I posted the game needs to be wiped because the estabilshed power block are too strong and have too much advantages compared to the new player. You'd be the first to post bullshit on that thread Gunner to preserve your 120 mil SP pilot.

Yet its perfectly fine to post here about a wipe because you no longer have any assets and own any structures or terminals. Makes perfect sense.

there is no coding reason why you have to wipe players of their ep, posessions and other achiefents (research for example). NON!!!

even if recoded this is just stuff in a database and can easy be transfered.

the reason a few ppl want a server wipe is not because the noobs cant compete. that will ALWAYS be the case in a time based progression system. if you dont like that then its not your game.

secons are the possessions and wealth of the few vets. ppl say its bad for the new players but thats not realy true. vets will provide a lot to noobs. because the noobs have no chance on getting some decent equip without them anytime soon... ...

but all that is no big problem. you also dont get more ppl in this game just because you say we relaunch. not speaking of the trust the devs break which also might scare a few ppl away.

but the main reason why some ppl demand a reset is not beacause of that. the main reason is a way more egoistic reason:
some ppl have played the game in their absense. some ppl have put a real lot time to build what they have now. and that puts them at a worse spot at the players who have played the game and not just spamed the forums. and there is your easy mode. i dont have that "problem" if the game resets...

there is only one reson for a patial reset i can see: gamma
look at the gamma islands and look what ppl did there. is that the way you want to present the game to the "new" players. i dont think so. terraforming needs some heavy limitations so skyhigh walls and the like in the other way will no longer be possible. and there is only one way to get rid of it once you have the changes to the terraforming:
reset the gamma landscape.
of cource you cant do that without removing the structures...

so simple solution. when server comes up each player and corp gets a small screen where they can choose to what alpha terminal they want all their gamma assets. incl build mpc. man could ague about terraforming reimbusemant, but honestly i could live without that.

these are some design changes that are not able without a reset on the gamma islands. but that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else.

To all the moaners about the large number of EP: where you were before, when the server is opened? No one for you will not reset the current players. Thanks to them, have been corrected in existence at the time of bugs, improved gameplay, added content that beginners can take advantage of right now. Otherwise, it can be regarded as a fraud on the part of developers. They understand it, and you whiners, no. And no one will make each individual server. At least it is stupid. Stop whining! Start playing now. And by the time the game's release in Steam, you already will be able to gank newbies. smile

//Using Google Translator.

Chemist wrote:

To all the moaners about the large number of EP: where you were before, when the server is opened? No one for you will not reset the current players. Thanks to them, have been corrected in existence at the time of bugs, improved gameplay, added content that beginners can take advantage of right now. Otherwise, it can be regarded as a fraud on the part of developers. They understand it, and you whiners, no. And no one will make each individual server. At least it is stupid. Stop whining! Start playing now. And by the time the game's release in Steam, you already will be able to gank newbies. smile

Purple turtles like to dance, Angels fly at dawn.

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

50 (edited by Merkle 2013-08-27 02:26:18)

Chemist wrote:

+1 I think.

But Yea +1

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13