1 (edited by Whorum Post Alt 2013-08-07 12:59:31)

Topic: Masking, does it exist?

Eve has cloaks - thoroughly broken mechanic with absolutely zero counter, which many see as a major flaw in the game and the griefers extol as the best annoyance tactic ever invented.

Does Perp have an analogue?

IMO, some manner of masking should be available, but not 'cloaking' outright as such.  A head-slot module that dampens down the bot's signature to the point where it's easier to detect by outright seeing it rather than showing up on radar.  One that would not render the bot invisible, and would only reduce the signature range by an X-value dependant on EWAR skill and tech level, to a minimum range of 100m (countered by detection amplifiers, which I understand are already in the game?).
Once sighted the bot can be targeted normally with no penalties to lock-time or range.

Its fitting requirements would be insanely heavy on CPU load that would limit the ability to fit instagank setups but not make them wholly useless in combat.  Perhaps activating it would have a capacitor drain as well, mitigated by extensions.

Re: Masking, does it exist?

Why? Masked e-war lights can already mask up to the point where they can see everyone else before they can see them, which is essentially cloaked.

Its called a signal masker. You'll find it under 'Electronic Equipment'.

I'm starting to wonder...Na I wont bother.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Actually, my concern wasn't for hidey gankbots but for exploration bots that won't get hammered the moment they make a move on beta/gamma.

Whorum Post Alt wrote:

Actually, my concern wasn't for hidey gankbots but for exploration bots that won't get hammered the moment they make a move on beta/gamma.

Again, those bots can be perfectly invisible anywhere. The class I suggested, light e-war bots, are also among the fastest and can optionally fit to counter even the fastest tacklers. But like I said, properly masked, no one should be able to get anywhere near you.

By the game mechanics, bot is visible when it appears on radar, and vice versa. You can't hide on radar only. Back to the old good times when assaults had top masking, you could go somewhere alone in a flat field, and next second find yourself surrounded by tons of assaults that are about 200m away from you.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

By the game mechanics, bot is visible when it appears on radar, and vice versa. You can't hide on radar only. Back to the old good times when assaults had top masking, you could go somewhere alone in a flat field, and next second find yourself surrounded by tons of assaults that are about 200m away from you.

That only lasted for a few months (maybe weeks even) back in spring/summer 2011?

Its called a signal masker. You'll find it under 'Electronic Equipment'.