Topic: new tech kernels

was that concept scraped or does this just apear when we accualy get new tech to the game?

Re: new tech kernels

It's there but hidden for now.

So how soon before a new tech release will we be able to start farming the new tech Kernels?

and how long after the new tech release will said new tech not be new any more and just require the Hi tech kernels ?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:

So how soon before a new tech release will we be able to start farming the new tech Kernels?

and how long after the new tech release will said new tech not be new any more and just require the Hi tech kernels ?

there is no new tech in the research patch. all "old" stuff. new tech kernels will come when new tech is avalible ingame. so with new equipment/bots or whatever...

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

new tech kernels will come when new tech is avalible ingame.

Indeed. But how long does new tech stay new tech before it is old tech?

Yes, one of the reasons that it's hidden is that there is no new tech yet. The other is that the system is still in development, so I can't answer your questions.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:

I guess its becomes 'old tech' ,when newer tech is available.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:

I think the ERP became old tech 6 months after release.

I think Ewar tuners became old tech after about the same time ...

I dont think an item should still be considered new tech if there isnt a consistent & predictable release of newer items. It will lead to the next wave of items being new tech for say 1 year and the next wave of items could be new tech for only 6 months ...

Please when designing this system put in a definite time line for the new items to still be considered new tech.

9 (edited by Celebro 2013-07-16 22:23:40)

Tux wrote:
Celebro wrote:
Ludlow Bursar wrote:

I think the ERP became old tech 6 months after release.

I think Ewar tuners became old tech after about the same time ...

I dont think an item should still be considered new tech if there isnt a consistent & predictable release of newer items. It will lead to the next wave of items being new tech for say 1 year and the next wave of items could be new tech for only 6 months ...

Please when designing this system put in a definite time line for the new items to still be considered new tech.

I see no reasoning behind this 'time line', old tech can only get old if there is new stuff to replace it. The new stuff will need a different kernel to replace the old one.

Edit: ERP was not exactly new tech, T5 would be new tech, or am I wrong here?

RIP PERPETUUM

the way I understand how the new tech kernels are going to work is not that there will be constant adding of more kernel types the more "waves" of new tech that comes in to the game,  but that the new tech kernels will apply to the new tech that is currently out ...

then at some point before the next cycle of new items all the current new tech kernels will stop dropping / be removed / Rp deleted and then the next wave of new tech will come out and the kernels will start dropping again.

If the new tech system is going to assign a Kernel version to each wave of new tech that comes into the game it will be worse than what the current system is. ...

DEVs stated that with new tech they did not want players grinding and hoarding new tech kernels so that it was possible to get T4 in the new tech the same day it was released.

... how will this be done with out infinite versions of new tech kernels or wiping new tech RP and kernels before each wave of new tech comes into game?

This is why there should be some type of time line, because I am assuming that the new tech kernels will be harder to get than the normal high tech kernels.

This will make some versions of new tech take longer to get than other versions of new tech.

For example if on Sept.1 2013 new modules come out they will be new tech kernels ... version 1
Then on Jan 1 2014 New bots + modules come out then will be new tech ..... version 2
finally on Jan 1 2015 the next wave of modules come out .. version 3

version 1 will be able to be researched with high tech kernels after 3 months where version 2 it will take 12 months before you can use high tech to research these items. . . . thus the need for some type of timeline

these are just things to take into consideration when designing the new tech system.

there was written (i think in a dev blog) that new technology (when it will be implemented) will need new tech kernels. once the new tech is no longer new the new tech is convetred in hitech. that means all kernels and the research itself as well.

i guess new tech will stay new tech for a certain period of time or untill something other new is added. and this can repeat itself as often as you want.

the only open thing is where and how much of th enw tech will be droped. i think replacing hitech drops with newtech drops might not work because the older tech still needs hitech. so there might be a additional drop chance for newtech. but who knows...

12 (edited by Celebro 2013-07-16 23:23:57)

Tux, if it had a timeline, I might as well wait it out until it becomes 'old tech' and get it from my hoarded kernals, which is exactly what they are trying to avoid.

I don't seem to find a way around this, new kernels have to be made in order to research new stuff. New and old is ultimately moot, and of bad design.

We all hoard EP too(well, somtimes), do I need a new kind of EP to unlock new extensions? No

RIP PERPETUUM

i think the point is:

new technology can not be on old kernels because it was not invetened at the time you got them.

so you can either create a new type of kernel every time you bring something new (what we had in form of glider kernels last time) but that will lead to more and more kernels, and thats exactly what the devs try to avoid.

so the new tech kernels is a universal feature, to keep the kernel count the same, but it will be the same as you get a new type of kernel very time you get new stuff. once new is no longer new then it becomes part of the old bunch (hitech)...

its not totaly logical, but will work for the thing it is ment to do...

Just trying to figure out how there going to do this rotation of new tech / old tech .. because i can think of a thousand ways that its going to add more confusion and "bad design" into the game than needed.

Yes people hoard everything in this game but im trying to understand if The DEVs are going to be able to do as they stated that with new tech they did not want players grinding and hoarding new tech kernels so that it was possible to get T4 in the new tech the same day it was released.

^^ this is a very important part of this new system

are we going to get generations of new kernels every time there is a new tech release ?
or
are we going to get conversions new tech > hi tech RP when the time comes ?
or
something totally different ...

I seriously doubt that anyone will just wait the 6+ months till the new tech turns in to "old" tech

15 (edited by Celebro 2013-07-17 15:29:32)

The only way I have thought of preventing players to hoard kernals for new tech and avoid endless new kernals is to add some randomization. I am not talking about the old research, but this is how it goes.

You would only need to implement 2 new types of kernels lets call them A & B for now.

Only at one time, 1 will be available in game, players don't know which one will be introduced in the next 'new tech patch'. So, if you hoard kernel A you are not guaranteed that kernel will work or will be removed.

If you want to take the risk and hoard kernel A you might be lucky but there is a huge risk, because kernel B might be introduced in game with the new tech.

To be clear: New tech arrives, you grind Kernel A and finish new tech. Once newer tech arrives Devs pick kernel A the same one or kernel B, their choice. If you hoard Kernel A and Devs pick B you are f....ed. If they Pick kernel A then you have just been lucky. smile If you didn't hoard kernels then it makes no difference.

RIP PERPETUUM

16 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-07-17 17:16:01)

I like your suggestion but, I think you are underestimating the average perp players level of hoardieness (not a word but you get my point).  I have no idea what I'm gonna do with 5000 T1 med launchers, but I'm not going to stop collecting them.  I think the same would apply to kernals.  I wouldn't see it as a risk, just another pile of crap that I might not get around to actually using.  It would just sit in a folder somewhere, and I would eventually have to move it somewhere else.  Why do I keep the crap that I do?  I have no idea, but I am sure as hell gonna keep collecting it. (Do I have a problem?)

I also like Tux's idea, I think there should be a finite time that "New Tech" stays new.  If you want it now, go grind it out.  If you don't care, wait the certain amount of time for it to become high tech and get it then.  I think a system like that rewards the player you goes and gets it.  But it also allows those who don't want to grind out new tech to buy from those who do, so there is a trade off.  If you don't want to play the "New tech" game, you can always buy it from those who do.  And the people who do grind out the new tech are rewarded buy being able to sell it to those who don't.

@Devs: For the love of Zombie Jesus please don't add in tons of new kernals,  that *** is confusing as all hell.