Re: Ore relocation

First off, the premise that infinite supplies, ore supplies, is bad, is WRONG.

You still need to have a character logged in and online to mine said minerals
You still need to haul them back to your base, where ever that might be.
You still have to refine them, and build stuff with them.
and most of all,
You still have to go out and LOOK for them.

This idea of, well lets make another ore and MAKE them move around islands.

Why?  Why are you going to make me move around when you have already done that to me already. 
Why are we trying to change a system that has nothing wrong with it, it does exactly what we need.
One of the most successful sandbox MMO's out there ADDED IN infinite ores to boost the ease of getting the ore itself.

I gotta ask but how in the hell does this make this game any better, if anything it would make people more frustrated to mine.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

52 (edited by Xadhoom 2013-06-13 04:07:13)

Lemon wrote:
Tux wrote:

I agree .. the current system works well

Dont change anything ... PLEASE !!!

If players want pvp they know where to go for it ... its not like people dont know where others live ....

what this whole thing is about is people wanting lazy pvp, theres no reason to up end the resource system so a few people can go gank miners again.

+1 Martha

Why can't I go out for a Hour or maybe 2 and get a decent challenging PvP fight on this Wednesday evening?

Because you need to login more in one Wednesday in 2 month otherwise people will cry the game is dead and leave.

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

53 (edited by Aye Pod 2013-06-13 04:31:08)

Merkle wrote:

and most of all,

Why?  Why are you going to make me move around when you have already done that to me already. 
Why are we trying to change a system that has nothing wrong with it, it does exactly what we need.
One of the most successful sandbox MMO's out there ADDED IN infinite ores to boost the ease of getting the ore itself.

I gotta ask but how in the hell does this make this game any better, if anything it would make people more frustrated to mine.

Now I know with out a doubt this acct was gifted.

I think this topic was started by pvprs who are crying they aren't getting enough targets and it turned into a how can the game be balanced thread. Bottom line is as a new player why try and compete when the vets have their own islands where they can mine infinite amts of mins and can produce anything in game. You don't. There isn't enough content to keep a new player. The same imbalance exists in EVE but they have enough content to keep new players interested long enough for them to think they are relevant enough to stick around.

Just so "Merkle the miner" knows, gamma islands have been "locked down" in the current state of the game. Having ore spawns that will spawn an infinite amt of times on said locked down island means that an infinite amt exists no matter what the logistics it takes to pull them from the ground.

Then you have missed the point. You still have to do it, the stuff just doesn't infinitely spawn in your hanger.

I do not accept the premise that this is a imbalance, this is the reward of taking a island, the same rewards as in EVE, when you take a system or a region.  You reap the rewards.

The best thing is, this is on all the islands as well, alpha and beta.  Allowing all, yes EVERYONE to reap the rewards.

For the most part people do not mine for fun, well I take that back, I do on occasion but this is besides the point.
When they pull the little goo or ore from the ground what do we all thing happens to it?  Right click delete.  Far from it, its turned into some type of profit for the side miner.
Whether its bots, mods, nic, you name it someone has to do it.  Thus in time, the markets will take off, when the players are there to need, and drive the markets.  We do not have those players as of yet.

As far as why try and compete with the vets?  Your complaining about having to compete with around 50 guys?  Really?  Any self respecting clan coming from the outside could far surpass 50 guys, and with a little work will out do anyone on the server period.
Leaning more to the individual, they are not exactly suppose to be-able to rule the entire server with one guy. smile

Aye Pod wrote:

The same imbalance exists in EVE but they have enough content to keep new players interested long enough for them to think they are relevant enough to stick around.

Actually this game is more on a even playing field then EVE as, there you have to join a Alliance to get access to the supply of the good minerals.  In Perp, you get all the perks of having the supplies from day one. 
I didn't think I would have to explain the details, Aye Pod, but you can mine on alphas and betas, and have the minerals respawn just the same.

Just thought I would gift you a bit of knowledge my friend.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Really this smells like the titan removal from beta back in the day, and then there was more complaints then i can remember ... everyone wanted titan back on beta so it would be worth living on. At the time most production was based on alpha II's because it wasn't worth hauling titan to the betas even tho they were only one jump away.

The gamma islands were and are being built because of the ore availability on them. You remove the valuable ores from them and they are worth orders of magnitude less. This doesnt mean miners will come off of gamma and go to beta to mine it just means they will stop mining on gamma until it comes back, or go to alpha.

I ask how many people even have a clue how much epriton and colixum it really takes to build a proper gamma base? if you say any thing less than 5 to 10 billion units then you dont have a clue.

The only thing that these changes will do is kill off the remaining active population we have left. At this point in the game I would find it hard to believe that anything but new content will bring pvp back.   

Why? because the people who still play this game are majority industrialists.

Why? because PVP died a long time ago due to slow development, no new bots mods or other things for  PVP driven players to achieve and play with. PVP driven players want to fight other PVP driven players and have personal goals on the side ie. new bots to get into through accrued EP, new builds to test by acquiring new mods.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Aye Pod wrote:
Merkle wrote:

and most of all,

Now I know with out a doubt this acct was gifted.

I think this topic was started by pvprs who are crying they aren't getting enough targets and it turned into a how can the game be balanced thread. Bottom line is as a new player why try and compete when the vets have their own islands where they can mine infinite amts of mins and can produce anything in game. You don't. There isn't enough content to keep a new player. The same imbalance exists in EVE but they have enough content to keep new players interested long enough for them to think they are relevant enough to stick around.

Just so "Merkle the miner" knows, gamma islands have been "locked down" in the current state of the game. Having ore spawns that will spawn an infinite amt of times on said locked down island means that an infinite amt exists no matter what the logistics it takes to pull them from the ground.

I actually started this topic about a way to make beta islands more appealing and important, but it took on a life of it's own and now is a general ore rant thread. neutral

As I take it, Alpha has infitinite minerals too. The only difference is that alpha doesn't have all the minerals needed and not that good manufacturing bonuses. That's why I also wanted to move Epriton to beta only.

Merkle: I appreciate the gift of your knowledge. The same access to mins from day one exist in both Perp and Eve. You can buy em and you can suit up and run the gauntlet to ninja some. Same *** diff game. We aren't getting players to join in clan numbers and we wont even after steam drops. We are lacking the content to offer players something to do past their 1 week trial. When the majority of the players spend their time playing the game in a particular way regardless of faction or alliances (ie gamma) then there is an imbalance. It exists everywhere. From the same op combo in WOW to the same ship set up on EVE. Im pretty sure the devs didn't create gamma for people to stop using beta. I personally don't care as I like the current state of the game but if i want to see growth then I know change is needed regardless if it changes my gameplay for better or worse.

Burial: At least you got some activity on the forums. Better than nothing. big_smile

58 (edited by Xadhoom 2013-06-13 07:12:43)

in the begining it was easy to get the rare minerals in eve because they were all in lowsec like a .03 systems. it wasn't for almost a year before they created 0.0 system and moved the rares there.

I also wish people would stop comparing this game to eve, Eve had more funding and devs from the begining and this is a completely different game with different balancing concerns and issue

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

My post wasn't about the 'ore' it's about breaking the stalemate that has developed.

It's about providing 'incremental' increases in power and material for each gamma island; it's also not about limiting resources, they are still infinite, they just aren't always where you want them.

Ideally, the game mechanic should create a situation where this string of events occurs repeatedly over a period of time;

1)A large corp, or alliance, puts a terminal down on gamma.
2)They fight for X amount of time, gain control of gamma.
3)Build defenses while they mine.
4)Hold off attacks until Ore is depleted.
5)Try to put terminal on another Island.
6)Rinse and repeat.

The strategy here is to have more resources after each cycle. This requires prudent planning on defeneses and not just spamming T3 everywhere, since it's unlikely that the base will be permanent. It also adds some depth into how you attack an outpost too, since you can reuse turrets from the loser, you save on your own resources.

If you miss manage, an alliance could end up taking a gamma, but get less material out than it cost to take it.

Remeber too, that there will always be say 1000B units of Epi, if all the gamma's are being mined, that Epi will gather up on the Beta islands, and stay there until it is mined out; like Zoom pointed out.

If a Corp decides to just 'hold' a Gamma, and wait while the other Islanders mine, they could end up with very rich fields indeed. But, the equation of war is much easier to balance when the target is rich; meaning that the Corps that are strip mining islands, will soon attack, and with much vigor. The defender didn't mine, which means they didn't have the ore to build 'super' defenses. Even if the defender has a huge mech fleet, they may not have enough bots/modules.

-PVP will be important, on both sides. Attacking and defending.
-Mining won't be 'horrible' because there's a limit to how much you can mine, and 'casual' miners can hang on alpha doing the lessor ores.
-Stockpiling on gamma won't happen, because you're always moving.
-Strategy will be important
-Poor leadership will result in massive losses
-Good leadership will be rewarded
-Needing 'bodies' will encourage recruitment
-Larger corps/alliances will form, which is good
-Miner 'burnout' will be less likely
-Beta Islands will see more action
-losing a gamma base won't be the end of the world
-Base designers will get better, as they will be able to refine on each gamma

This does leave the option open for Corps that want to 'hunker' down on gamma, and build a strong home base, they'll still need to come out and 'forage', meaning they'll need enough players to do offense and defense at the same time.

This type of play will need Devs to tweak the structures some, including adding in a decay when structures are unpowered, or not connected to command terminals.

As a side note: It's unproductive to compare with Eve, because Eve has an active and vibrant PVP community. Including a large group of players that will attack sht just for the hell of it; 'not worth it' isn't even in their vocabulary.

From an industry standpoint, the more equipment you can make from each unit of ore the better. 1 or 2 % will be an important distinction, as will be the decision to build those better factories; and to get the research bonus.

In all, the game will WORK again; maybe.

I use the Eve comparison because its a great base line game to draw experience from.

It is productive to compare the two as they are very similar in structure and game play, however, we dont want to look at its beginnings to see how they started out, to how this one is starting out. 

This is all coming around to a player and content problem then anything else.  We all want to run around the problem every month, attacking some other idea, and engaging in some theory that could work.  When I all comes down to, if there isn't players to engaging in game, doing whatever, PVP, PVE, farming, missioning, or just logging in, then all the amount of tweaks will not make a difference.

You pull players into the game by making more content, making stuff, bots, missions, new islands, just stuff.

Think of new ways to have fun in the game. 

This idea that all of a sudden Ores, and industry related stuff is broken is just crazy. 
We, all of a sudden, wish that beta's would become something more, some what of a battlefield.   Why?  Let beta's serve for what they were intended for, a no man's land of PVP.  We go back to our example of Eve.  Low sec is just that, a place for small scale PVP, not for massive attacks, just for staging, and small ganks, kills here and there. 
You dont see massive industrial empires based out of low sec, as it would be just insane to do so, there would be zero upside.

You wish to break the stalemate, bring in more stuff, content.  This will bring in more leaders and players, IF said content is of a high quality.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Its not really all of a sudden, and I would also say that ore has never been working properly, hence the numerous changes since launch.

I believe it's getting closer to working. But I do agree that changes to anything aren't going to bring more people into the game. The plan though, is to have a 'working' system in place for steam launch, which WILL get more players in; at which time the 'ores' will be working properly and there won't be the 'I've always done it this way' issue to resolve.

I'm not promoting removing Epi from gamma by the devs, but if players over mine gamma epi, than it will eventually only be on beta until someone goes to get it.

If players are looking at the 600B NIC investment they have in gamma and thinking the concept of having to 'give it up' is too much, than that actually proves the point. To be clear though, unlike the *** change to range that ruined our first gamma, there is nothing that 'forces' a corp to relocate, but they will have to venture out to bring material back in.

Tl;dr - Perp has never had much content, wishing for it at the 11th hour is fruitless.

Guess its time to start mining my billion epi..... Stock up on colix, and move my miners to alpha.

Shadowphile wrote:

Guess its time to start mining my billion epi..... Stock up on colix, and move my miners to alpha.

Not to single you out, but this.

Instead of thinking, cool. With the new change we'll actually have a reason to plan, fight, and strategize. The immediate response is

"*** it" (insert mental picture of Billy Murry throwing golf club meme).

I have no problems with changing the current ore system, if that's what is the best for the game. But Gamma has ZERO benefit for me, other than planting noralgis if I cant mine what I need there. There is no point for me to be there. That was the whole appeal of Gamma to begin with. High risk and High reward.

And this Idea of yours Arga, that by doing this Corps will build and move terminals around all over the gamma islands to mine is ***. Miners are gonna find a way to mine safely, they sure as hell aren't gonna wage wars to get epi.

Maybe this would be great for CIR who could just roam around griefing corps trying to get started on gamma. But it makes it much more difficult for small corps and new corps to do anything on gammas as they will have to build 3 or 4 gamma bases to get enough mats to be able to build any kind of defenses.

Not to mention it would destroy the market for epi, beacause no one would sell it with it being such a pain in the *** to get. Which makes it that much harder for a player who just wants to produce and/or pvp and not mine, to do anything.

Miners shouldn't be the sole reason for pvp. That is flawed game design....

And for the record, I still don't know what is "wrong" with the current ore system. Just seems like a bunch of people pissed off that while they aren't playing, everyone else is mining... Pvp is whats broken, and new players will help that. So just keep fixing research and missions and make the new player experience better and a lot of this stuff corrects itself.

Omg, scrap this idea and let's get some T5 and some shiney new goodness to put them on.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

A field instantly respawning after a field is depleted is just plain wrong from any balance standpoint. We've never been above taking advantage though, so we'll just keep on mining and hauling.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Shadowphile wrote:

1) I have no problems with changing the current ore system, if that's what is the best for the game. But Gamma has ZERO benefit for me...

2) Miners shouldn't be the sole reason for pvp. That is flawed game design....

1) This is an excellent point. Large sweeping changes are never about A person, or even A corp. I even list as a benefit the formation of large corps or Alliances. There is all this talk about things that small corps can't do, but there is plenty that they can do; living on gamma shouldn't be one of them.

This isn't something 'new' that I've been saying, search back 3 years and you'll see my posts about too much fracturing of players. It's even worse as the population decreases and strong leaders leave the game, players get 'bias' to corps, and we end up with lots of 1 to 4 man corps trying to play a game that had 200+ corps battling for Beta outposts at launch.

I have no illusions that this change is going to have any impact on the CURRENT popultion. The hope (BTW, this is Zoom's Idea with a twist, not an Arga Idea) is that an inrush of new players off steam will come in and form up, like STC did at first, with a thirst for war.

2) Because you can't just BUY stuff off the market, ore is just the first step in the long logistics train that leads to a corp's abilty to PVP. Mining is not a reason to PVP, but production of which mining is a critial part, is intimately tied to PVP.

This is the way the game is designed, and why the game took such a huge hit when it lost the first wave of industrialists with the first resource change years ago. I supported those changes, because it had to be done, just as something needs to be done now.

The reason now works better than later, is people don't like change. If it's not implemented before the theoretical 'rush' of new players from steam, they will get used to unlimited mining, and feel like something was taken away (just like everyone else is thinking it now) and the game gets hit with another big exdus.

---

I fully admit that I can't predict the impact that limiting ores on gamma will have, but I'm also not worried about how any person or group is going to be impacted by it. Technically, CIR is taking full advantage of unlimited resources, making those poor guys still playing actually work harder to get the same ore, is not going to be popular.

And finally, you can't directly fix PVP. PVP is not a mechanic that exists in the game, it's a consequence of the game mechanics. Resource gathering is a keystone, changing this 'piviot' point is going to have the greatest impact. Which is also why it creates so much attention here on the forums, even if people don't understand why, they know that it's important.

So, keep the feedback coming.

We would need so many players to flood this game that the servers it is hosted on and the infrastructure supporting the server could not handle that volumes needed to negate the advantage we vets have.

I mean seriously I can say that with me losing 20 HM's a month for the next year wouldn't make me flinch. We saw the impact that a body of players with what appears to be infitite resources has on the active population of the game from back when m2S duped. During this time many players left because they could not mine/produce to compete with 24/7 active and able pvpers who didnt have to do the same industrial work. Only harass everyone else trying to keep up.

I mean look at the damage I alone was able to inflict on players. I took a super tank bot to camp in noobs who didnt know the mechanics to counter it. That bot was then nerfed to oblivion and that ENTIRE body of players is no longer here because the damage was done.

I like this game but I mean ask STC with out the right players who have the thought process to develop proper fits and counter fits  you will die horribly and see no light at the end of the tunnel. Not to even bring up EP differences.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

I have no illusions that this change is going to have any impact on the CURRENT popultion. The hope (BTW, this is Zoom's Idea with a twist, not an Arga Idea) is that an inrush of new players off steam will come in and form up, like STC did at first, with a thirst for war.

We would need so many players to flood this game that the servers it is hosted on and the infrastructure supporting the server could not handle that volumes needed to negate the advantage we vets have

Point taken. I mentioned when all the Eve players came over, if they had not jumped into a single newbie corp, but had spread out to existing corps, we would have retained more of them for longer, but sadly we would still be in the same state of low population. The server was also plagued with issues from that mass influx too, so there's a real possiblity that with all the patches and changes, the server may again not be able to support more than 400 players online.

Time will tell.

Increasing the frequency and size of PVP battles can be done with making zero changes to the resource system.

Tux wrote:

Increasing the frequency and size of PVP battles can be done with making zero changes to the resource system.

I would agree with that, but doesn't change the fact that resource system still needs to be changed.

Arga wrote:
Tux wrote:

I would agree with that, but doesn't change the fact that resource system still needs to be changed.

Resources do not need to be changed

The amount of resources in game will always be equal to the amount of time and effort players make into getting the minerals out of the ground or off the trees.

unless your purposing putting a hard cap on how many minerals can be mined in specific amounts of time (day, week or otherwise) then you will always have an infinite amount of minerals that can be extracted from the lands.

putting any purposed caps on the amounts of minerals that can be extracted is a bad idea for many different reasons that i have already mentioned.

What you see now, people stock piling vast amounts of minerals is only possible due to the low population. IF the population were 100 times (active players) what we have right now then this wouldn't even be a concern. Because the would be so many people mining that the only way to sustain a proper level of production is the system we currently have.

There are additions that can be made to the system such as adding more danger for miners on gamma by seeding more NPC spawns, but the core system is just fine for all levels of population.

there is no need to keep reinventing the wheel .. round is the optimal shape.

I'm with Tux and Merkle it's too *** hard to put a base next to liquid field and script a miner and a hauler account picking a can up with a terraformed wall around the field and base.  I mean who's crazy enough to spend that kinda of effort for 200 to 400 million epi???  Jesus it's hard enough leaving three scarabs on alpha mining remote liquid fields on alpha 1s!!  No one would do such a thing!!!   We don't need to do anything to industry!!  We just need to go on straight pvp mode with the noobs in our heavy mk2s with 9 isoboxxer follow bots popping the *** out of light bots.  Noobs loving being kicked in the teeth repeatedly!!  Amirite zwiss???  MQX??? Those guys loved it so much they are taking a much needed break!!!  I'm sure all of Foom would agree???  Sup sup Nex?  Where's my Morties hanging???

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.