26 (edited by Tux 2013-06-12 05:13:46)

Re: Ore relocation

DEV Zoom wrote:

Here is the idea: what if these thresholds would consider the mineral amounts globally on all islands, or at least on all gammas. This would have the effect that islands with lot of intensive mining would sooner or later get depleted, and the availability of new mineral fields would shift towards the islands that are untouched or have low traffic.

This is a bad idea because of the following:
1. Everyone will just go back to alpha to mine all the low ends where they are limitless

2. This would only give me (and others) more reason to continue to take and close more gammas from others because the limited supply of colixum

3. This type of ore distribution should apply to all islands equally if at all.

4. This is more of a penalty system by punishing thoes who play the game and do what they enjoy (mining) by slowly taking away minerals from the areas they have worked for months on to be successful.

5. in theory I could close off three or four islands and block access to eveyone and in one year have all the minerals in the gamma islands concentrated on those three or four islands (assuming thoes were never mined and the others were).

I think its pretty bad to continue to modify the Industry side of the game because the pvp side of the game gets board to quick.

There have been many suggestions to increase pvp :
remove walls | probes
make artifact hunting beta only
make observers / new Special NPC the only way to get Cortexes

forcing miners to betas for pvp'ers to play Nintendo's Duck Hunt is not the answer

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

27 (edited by Xadhoom 2013-06-12 05:16:11)

or but the arena island back in and make a random pvp queue instance based for small battles.. etc..

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

DEV Zoom wrote:

Ok, so the current mineral respawn system works like this: we have a minimum and a maximum amount threshold for every type of mineral per island. The system tries to keep the mineral amounts available between those two values. If the amount drops below the minimum threshold, a new field is spawned at a random location on the island.

Here is the idea: what if these thresholds would consider the mineral amounts globally on all islands, or at least on all gammas. This would have the effect that islands with lot of intensive mining would sooner or later get depleted, and the availability of new mineral fields would shift towards the islands that are untouched or have low traffic.

Unless the players strike a perfect balance of mining intensity across all islands (which seems unlikely), this could mean everlasting waves of shifting back and forth between islands to seek out the richer fields. At least in theory smile

You're complicating what is a very simple solution Zoom.

Original ore mechanics (once you mine it, it regenerates over time) were good because it put an invisible limit on how many people can live and exploit 1 island. This also gives a real incentive to conquer more islands when needed/wanted. This will not become evident unless the population increases. This will promote meaningful PVP and give people goals to strive for.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

+1 Norrdec, something along the lines of that is good!

Norrdec has a very good point.   Your new ore system, trying to find it and having unlimited minerals everywhere makes for no market and it was a poorly planned idea.  So in other words, switch it back.

Gooma wrote:

... trying to find it and having unlimited minerals everywhere makes for no market ...

Unlimited materials are the bad bit, dynamic raw material deposits are the good bit.

Adjust the current system to keep the latter but get rid of the former, please don't go back to the way it was.

Instead of checking whether the amount of raw material has dropped below a certain threshold every 10 minutes do it every two or three weeks ... preferably not at the same time for each raw material.

Gooma wrote:

Norrdec has a very good point.   Your new ore system, trying to find it and having unlimited minerals everywhere makes for no market and it was a poorly planned idea.  So in other words, switch it back.

No one mining and no one buying makes for no market. I seriously doubt fiddling with core game mechanics would make some areas more meaningful than others.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:
Gooma wrote:

... trying to find it and having unlimited minerals everywhere makes for no market ...

Unlimited materials are the bad bit, dynamic raw material deposits are the good bit.

Adjust the current system to keep the latter but get rid of the former, please don't go back to the way it was.

Instead of checking whether the amount of raw material has dropped below a certain threshold every 10 minutes do it every two or three weeks ... preferably not at the same time for each raw material.

Actually no, if you consider it the old system's fixed location indirectly served to perform the following functions;

- It created PVP hotspots and discouraged the AFK mining/script-mining that's prevalent today.
- It differentiated "better islands" from "worse islands", since some ores were in nice places and some were in out-of-way places.
- It encouraged people to bring groups of combat accounts to their mining sessions.
- Observer & caravan routes could (and in some cases, did) patrol over ore-deposits.

And as I previously mentioned, once they were depleted and you wanted more - you went to another island. Back then it was 3/6 Betas, so conquering and maintaining space wasn't as possible and potent as it is today.

But regardless my main point would be one of our corp's guidelines and most repeated mantras - KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.

34 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-06-12 14:42:32)

It did not create PVP hot spots, it created gank spots.  M2S, Eharm, HUN,  and others used to do that to STC all the time.  They new exactly where the fields we mined were, so they would log off there and just wait to gank miners.  This didn't create PVP, it gave vets easy ways to get indy kills from a newb corp.  because they didn't have to go hunting, they would just wait.  in effect you were creating a "Duck Blind".  The hunters would go sit in the duck blind, and wait for the indys to come to them.

what happen if one alliance/corp dont gets enough resources out of their island(s)? they just"conquer" a new one.

this will just benefit the big over the small once again.

i have the feeling ppl are *** about game mechanics because the lack of pvp. but the cause is a complete different. not enough ppl.

"limited" resources will not improve pvp. just as martha said. it will improve indy ganks, maybe.

resource limitations in my opinion should be how fast you can gather it. that skill, manpower, and time based.

even if you do this it will only bring any change when the server reaches a certain population. or you have to adjust resource respawn to the server population all the time.
and once the population is there again it will have plenty of pvp again anyway.

overall. dont think it will change much in any case. nice idea. but the results will not be what you hope for.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

even if you do this it will only bring any change when the server reaches a certain population. or you have to adjust resource respawn to the server population all the time.

That's my main concern with a time-based respawning too.

If it generates faster than players can mine, we did basically nothing.
If it generates slower, everyone will mine on alphas, which is bad for the newbies (and for PvP).
If it generates just about right, it's still infinite resources.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:

If it generates slower, everyone will mine on alphas, which is bad for the newbies (and for PvP).

I agree .. the current system works well

Dont change anything ... PLEASE !!!

If players want pvp they know where to go for it ... its not like people dont know where others live ....

what this whole thing is about is people wanting lazy pvp, theres no reason to up end the resource system so a few people can go gank miners again.

+1 Martha

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Martha Stuart wrote:

It did not create PVP hot spots, it created gank spots. M2S, Eharm, HUN,  and others used to do that to STC all the time.  They new exactly where the fields we mined were, so they would log off there and just wait to gank miners.  This didn't create PVP, it gave vets easy ways to get indy kills from a newb corp.  because they didn't have to go hunting, they would just wait.  in effect you were creating a "Duck Blind".  The hunters would go sit in the duck blind, and wait for the indys to come to them.

I bolded the exceptional stupidity, the rest speaks for itself.

As I said previously, the old system promoted active mining & combat account support, none of this script-mining thats going around now.

Sure, corps and people who were dumb would plop a 40M miner on the field and expect to be left alone. Smart corps plopped down 20-30 miners, and 20-30 combats. 1 miner = 1 combat was always a good ratio.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Zortarg Calltar wrote:

You want it generating slow enough so that an island-alliance of arbitrary size (say 1000 account on paper, ~150 concurrent accounts online) has to either wait for respawn/regeneration (which slows their industry down) or conquer more space to fit their size (which opens PVP options and creates some reason to want more then 1 island and all the hassle that comes along with it).

Alpha nodes = green & yellow tiles, Beta and Gamma nodes = red & orange tiles. Even if they have the exact same ore-amount in them on paper, people will by and large apply the famous hand-growing-from-ass logic and fight over the red & orange nodes. This creates content.

Currently 1 island is enough regardless if you have 10 people or 10,000 people living on it because as soon as 1 field is depleted, the next 1 pops up. We've field-tested this with ~38 Riv mk2's mining on Gamma, sure it was hassle to pause the TV show and move every so often to the new field, but its not any inconvenience.

What does that mean? With the current system you've eliminated every pretense of player-struggle for resources, and created what old RTS games (if you're old enough to remember you get a medal) had as the Deathmatch mode.

To put it in a more familiar perspective, imagine if CCP designed it for everyone in EVE to mine every ore in-game infinitely in as much quantity as they felt like it, from a single nullsec system, in an universe where every system is identical in the number of planets/moons/asteroids.

Zoom here's an interesting exercise for you though;

IF we agree that conflict over space/resources is the driving factor in sandbox large scale PVP, and if we agree that large wars breed lots of small PVP hotspots as roamers get excited...

... if you were in charge of a 200 man corporation in PO, why would your corporation need or want to have more then 1 island?

Put yourself in your players shoes and walk a mile or ten. wink

39 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-06-12 19:52:37)

no see, the point you are not understanding, is that STC DIDN"T HAVE THE COMBAT SUPPORT TO FIGHT OFF 30 VET PLAYERS, AND NEITHER WILL NEWB CORPS.  I capsed the exceptional stupidity of the above statement.

the above mentality also contributes to the 2 power block system, by forcing new players to either join a major power block, or to become allied with a major power block for protection.  we are veteran players can not have our cake and eat it too.  this game is extremely unfriendly to new players.  we as vets need to make concessions to make it easier for new player to become competitive.

The bigger picture here is WHY do corps even need to mine in Island sized quantities?

It's my understanding that there's not enough PVP losses to account for even 1 Island's worth of Epi, let alone MK II fleets running continually.

So either corps are stockpiling ore or they are stockpiling bots/modules; or selling it to the market for NIC, and other corps/players are stockpiling it.

My point, is making resources scarce to encourage PVP won't work because there's not enough PVP to make it worth the effort to gather resouces if they are scarce; i.e. 'production' will simply stop at the current levels.

Zoom's proposed idea actually has merit.

Island 1 has X billion NIC's worth of walls, turrets, and terraforming that makes it 'safe' to strip mine. Only, there's really no 'reason' to do so other than as-hoc PVP losses.

As mentioned previously in the forums, those islands are basically impenatrable, and no one has any reason to try to get in anyway.

What zoom is saying, is if they can't encourage players to try to break-in, than they need to find a way to get those players to go out. There is no Epi on alpha, and while some corps may move mining 'lessor' ores to alpha, they will still need a supply of Epi for T4.

Now, if they intend to take over another gamma Island, they will also need access to alot more colixium. At issue here is the already large potential stockpile of modules and ore, but putting that aside, and assuming they only get 1 more pass at the ore on their locked down island, they will need to mine somewhere before they can fully lock-down another island.

This is the PVP potential, the battle for the new islands.

Yes, once they are conqured they will be locked down, but look again at the mechanics.

Ore doesn't respawn on 'your' island until it is mined elsewhere.

After the initial PVP rush, and the Islands are locked down, than what happens?

Lets look at the future slice at 'steady-state' ---

(3) corps/alliances have managed to hold and lock-down (4) gamma Islands each.

By this time they have figured out if they can mine a certain amount on their Islands, and more will randomly spawn on thier other owned islands. However, some of the mined 'total amount' will also spawn on thier enemies islands.

It is now logistically and stragetically WRONG to mine out your own Islands; because by doing so you feed resources to your enemy.

Is that a reason to try to break into your enemies island to mine... Yes and No.

If all (3) corps decide to do 'nothing' than the game is static and no PVP happens. But this is true with any game, if you never leave Riverwood in Skyrim the game is boring.

Most likely, 1 or more corp/alliances will attack the weakest islands and attempt to own ALL the islands. This is not a requirement at this time in the game, because 1 is enough. Only by owning all the islands can an alliance be assured of unlimited resources.

Is it possible for 1 alliance to own all the gamma Islands?

Technically, no. Not at this time. There's not enough man power. I would even hazzard that there is not enough man power to lock down more than (1) Island as it is; as long as the other corps were actively trying to stop them.

To prevent Alpha mining, simply leave the 'lessor' ores to respawn on the same Island, but put in a 'delay' factor before they randomly respawn. It's logistically a nightmare to mine alpha and gamma, more likely if they do deplete an island temporarily, they can wait or if it's an emergency, buy off the market - pushing the supply the other way.

Beta Islands will also be more natural 'targets' for Epi mining, as corps try to reserve thier 'safe' gamma piles. This is the subtle way to get epi mining back onto beta, and not the heavy handed 'remove' it from gamma.

--------------

So, yes. In the long term implementing disappearing Epi/Colx from gamma could lead to a stalemated environment. But doing nothing will result in more of the current 'nothing' happening. While doing 'this' will generate some movement in PVP, if players want it. If there's no one willing to fight, there's no amount of mechanic changes that's going to fix the game.

Yes, it will create something that probably needs to be fixed down the road, but they can do that with more islands, or some other mechanic that makes owning all the islands impossible.

***, try it. What is there to lose?

So tired of the script mining stuff being thrown around all the time. I assume its because that's what CIR did so that's what they accuse everyone else of doing, but some of us actually mine the old fashioned way and shouldn't be accused of doing so.

"Sure, corps and people who were dumb would plop a 40M miner on the field and expect to be left alone. Smart corps plopped down 20-30 miners, and 20-30 combats. 1 miner = 1 combat was always a good ratio. "

Sure, this seems fair for the lone guy who just wants to be a miner or indy guy....

The problem, is that people still think that gamma islands are inpenetrable. The fact of the matter is, there isn't a gamma island in the game that cant be infiltrated. I am curious as to how many gammas must be infiltrated or destroyed for people to realize this?

Just because my enemies are lazy *** who cant get off their *** long enough to be bothered with a combat mission lasting more than an hour isn't my fault. We have made our island difficult to get into, to discourage all but the most serious of attackers. The only reason we don't get into more gammas, is that with such low pop, it may take days to see someone, much less get some good fights. The payoff isn't worth the effort atm.

But I suggest that with a better population, gammas wont be the miners paradise they are now. The problem is that so many people don't actually understand the gamma mechanics or actual gamma combat at all. They just assume everyones base is impenetrable and come on the forums to whine about all the time other people spend building their sandcastles. Sorry if you don't keep your accts subbed or actually spend time in-game playing. But please, by all means keep telling us that do, how to fix things....

Sorry, this wasn't supposed to be a rant.

Arga wrote:

Ore doesn't respawn on 'your' island until it is mined elsewhere.

I'd like to make it clear that in my proposition, this is only a long-term effect. A globally controlled mineral amount system would spawn minerals with the same chance on "your island" just like anywhere else. As time passes however, your window of opportunity to get a new field on a busy mined island would get smaller and smaller. (That is if we assume that there is at least one island where new fields can "stockpile" themselves.) So luck would play a significant role in this system as well. But even so, I imagine that tipping the balance of mineral amounts between islands to the extremes would be a slow process, and easily reversible. If we don't take player resistance into account of course smile

The effect is similar like with artifacts: if you keep avoiding low level artifact signals (~other islands) and only go for level 3 (~always the same island), eventually you'll be left with all level 1s (~tiny ore fragments/nothing).

It 'could' be set up that way, so there is 0% chance for it to respawn on the same Island; for Epi and Colix - the other ores would respawn, but only after a dynamic 'delay'.

I would say 'yes' to the slow change method if there wasn't a need for some immediate results. If it was programmed as a % chance to respawn on the same island, as well as globally, that would make it simpler to adjust to changing population.

One of the biggest challenges all along has been with the volume of ore available, and matching that to the population. I don't think there can be a static setting for that, but making any reduction in availbilty is going to really 'rock the boat', even if it is needed.

Shadowphile wrote:

The payoff isn't worth the effort atm.

Sorry, this wasn't supposed to be a rant.

The challenge is to change that somehow. The only way to change anything, is to change something.

Personally, I doubt messing with resources is going to cause corps to start moving around, but it's worth a shot. The direct issues is always going to be, making a change big enough to motivate change, also risks demotivating people to play at all.

There is always a make or break moment in any game's life-span, which is probably the steam release date. The changes need to be done before that, so it is status quo for the new players, and the vets will need to adjust to it.

It's back to the same 15 *** trying to kill each other for epeen.  Just put a freaking 7 day time on the minimal mechanic before it lets it respawn.  The problem is there's only so many times corp A or player a can kill corp B or player B before it gets repetitive.  I like Xadhoms idea of queing for pvp through a "match maker" type system.  I think that would be cool.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

It's back to the same 15 *** trying to kill each other for epeen.  Just put a freaking 7 day time on the minimal mechanic before it lets it respawn.  The problem is there's only so many times corp A or player a can kill corp B or player B before it gets repetitive.  I like Xadhoms idea of queing for pvp through a "match maker" type system.  I think that would be cool.

Wouldn't you still just be fighting the same couple of dudes anyway?

Maybe some newbies would que?  Better than logging in to station spin, complain about work, and why I can't undock on *** hotel wifi.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

48 (edited by Aye Pod 2013-06-13 02:25:07)

With gamma islands double the degradation rate of the ore fields and when they are depleted/mined out they spawn with a lower amt, say 20% less than they originally had and make it so after 5 respawns there is a 3 day timer to wait for that particular ore to appear on island again at 100%. No more infinite ore on gamma.

With beta change the intrusion system. The outposts should be controlled by those that use the island. Split the islands up into "territories" that are governed by the closest outpost. Make it so killing NPC's or mining ores within those territories give you points towards ownership of the outpost. Increase the rate of spawn of NPCS and keep the ore fields the way they are now. As you have more points towards the outpost then you can add the buffs and lock out other corps. Make the original sap loot deposit into a hangar only available to the corp that has control and make it so that corp can change the level of access as long as they hold it. If you cannot split the island into territories make it so everything done within 5k of the outpost counts towards that outpost. Also make it so that sparks can only be removed from beta outposts when that player has access.

Revive the tournament island as the pvp island. Make a TP on each alpha 2 take you to there. Once there you get there youre flagged for pvp and your timer needs to be up before you can leave. Make it so single tf can be done on the island.

Just my .02

49 (edited by Shadowphile 2013-06-13 01:27:47)

So what about some sort of system that would allow for only so many mineral fields per island. And each field would have a random chance of being any ore type upon being spawned. With a higher chance of being common mats like hdt, titan, liquizit, and lesser chance of getting epriton, factional ores, colix, etc.

So your island may have a bunch of liquids and not many ores. Making you either go to alpha or beta to get ores you don't have on your island. Or you will just mine something you may not need to get something else to respawn. And you might be more willing to sell the mats you get overstocked on due to this mechanic, helping the market and non-mining characters.

You could provide better percentage chances of epi on beta>Gamma>alpha. And even colixium on beta or epi on alpha. The number of fields per island or the percentage chance of each ore can be adjusted by population.

The could set beta to have more fields than any island. Alpha to have second most with low chances of any good mats. and gamma to have less fields with best chances for colix and epi.

Tux wrote:

I agree .. the current system works well

Dont change anything ... PLEASE !!!

If players want pvp they know where to go for it ... its not like people dont know where others live ....

what this whole thing is about is people wanting lazy pvp, theres no reason to up end the resource system so a few people can go gank miners again.

+1 Martha

Why can't I go out for a Hour or maybe 2 and get a decent challenging PvP fight on this Wednesday evening? 

1v2, 2v3, 5v7,12v16, 20v30...... Just a good fight after my hour or 2 of travel win or lose.

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle