Topic: Steam launch on clean server?

If there will be a steam launch, would you then also consider a clean new server? I dun say wipe the current 40 man server who each have unlimited resources they can play with each other, but perhaps you can make a poll for some time and see if any old players would return on a new server.

Re: Steam launch on clean server?

personaly i dont like the idea. it took me a while to get me where i am and i dont think i would do that much different.
but i dont like to go through the exact same thing again. soem of the vets left have invested a lot of their free time. and if you just slap in their face and take that away then i dont think "a lot" will stay. there are not that many anyway to make a real big impact if the population gets up to a decent level again (a couple thousand of players).
if the server wipes completely then i dont think i will start over.
basicly this would be the only thing besides a game shutdown that would let me quit the game.

+1 wipe relaunch.

How exactly is steam launch such a game-breaking update that it needs wipe and relaunch? tongue

Vroom wrote:

+1 wipe relaunch.

This means everyone loses all Ep all character names etc ......

are you serious ... lol you might as well be asking to shut down the servers permanently

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Tux wrote:
Vroom wrote:

+1 wipe relaunch.

This means everyone loses all Ep all character names etc ......

are you serious ... lol you might as well be asking to shut down the servers permanently

I'm fine with that.

The EP part not server shutting down.

I doubt that AC will do this, but from a monetary view point, this is the best thing to generate the maxium number of new players. Getting in on the 'ground floor' of a timebased MMO will attract alot of new business.

Emotionally, its a losing scenrio, since word of the 'reset' is going to turn off a lot of the potential new players, thereby reducing the effectiveness of having a clean start draw.

What they could do is start a whole new second server, and leave the vets to play alone on the original.

Those vets that just want to play, will reroll on the new server. The rest will grow bored and quit since the chances of new players joining the vet server are 0. So the same result as wiping the server, without the negative feedback of a reset.

tl:dr - I'd just reset the server, but I'm an ***. smile

http://www.gagism.com/you-want-pray-game-with-me/

If there is a complete wipe, i'm not coming back.  I can understand why they would consider it and no hard feelings on my part, but that would be the end for me.  I have invested too much money and time to start over.

A wipe with all our EP back smile

Celebro's body guard

Simmy wrote:

A wipe with all our EP back smile

its not only about the ep. but of cource its one big part in it.

some ppl have been building something for themselves. may it be bases, may it be nic, may it been resources, may it be items and bots, or may it be all of it.
its a game, but its a lot of your free time to build something. so if you strip the ppl of that you strip them of their goals and you take all that away where they worked hard for. and beleave me most ppl dont like to start over. if something like this happens they will most likely look for a new playground were its not a simple repeat of what they had in the last ~2 years. just to get where they once where.

i could understand if the devs think it will bring them more customers whith a relaunch. who knows if that would realy be the case. but in terms of market and finances it will play no bigger role because if the vets get greatly outnumberd then they will be only a small dot in the big ocean. even if their dots are a bit bigger then the others around them.

for me and a "lot" other ppl will this simple be the end. will be a sad one then i think ppl that are still here like this game.

I think most of the vets would jump over to a new server if they could keep their EP, and the race to T4 research would make the world interesting, but I could see the new players being frustrated, since it would only take about 20 days of mining and kernel farming for the vets to be back in T4 heavy Mechs, especially with the new research system.

14 (edited by Burial 2013-04-26 17:32:00)

Keep dreaming guys. big_smile

Burial wrote:

Keep dreaming guys. big_smile

Dream gone.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Keep DoY-ing development then

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Perhaps they should wipe and reset every 2-3 years.  The noob/vet issue is fundamental to time based skill system. It will never go away.

I'd be shocked to see it happen as it would be such a terrible back stab to those that have stuck it out.

Sparking to other games

Rex Amelius wrote:

Perhaps they should wipe and reset every 2-3 years.  The noob/vet issue is fundamental to time based skill system. It will never go away.

I'd be shocked to see it happen as it would be such a terrible back stab to those that have stuck it out.

havent laughed that hard in a while... (sry)

eve is running for 10 years with no reset...

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

eve is running for 10 years with no reset...

you mean, because Perpetuum is an EVE Clone, it can do the same? yarr

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Perpetuum is the same clone of Eve as Duke Nukem is a clone of Quake

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

The map is empty,,,why reset. 

Its time the population helped with "preeeee steam release. 

1)  We need a new map. 

2)  we need to have ALL the lvl 1 betas empty,,,(all the OPs unowned). 

3) All deserted gamma OPs need to be razed, or ownership transferred to active players. 

4) Corps need to start recruiting actively.  New players need to be incorporated if we really want them. 

5) The ratio of 3 to 1  for experience points differential between new players and old players could help...And accelerated daily ep rate until the average 3 to 1 ratio is reached would enable new players to accept the skill difference between vets and rookies. 

With the map empty,,,,there is allot of room for rookies if we clean house.

A reset is another "kill the patient to cure cancer"  agenda.

Line wrote:

Perpetuum is the same clone of Eve as Duke Nukem is a clone of Quake

very good argument, especially since Duke Nukem was a jump&run released 1991,
Duke Nukem 3D was released January 1996 and
Quake was released Juni 1996

chicken / egg

zigZag -> yes, the map is empty, and that not only regarding PvP. PvE map is empty and "dead" too.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

So many bad ideas, so little content.

24 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2013-04-28 22:58:51)

Vroom wrote:

So many bad ideas, so little content.

So true.

The fact is this game is currently like a nuclear powered train about to plunge into a Volcano.
Some of us know this & are just on board for the final ride getting as drunk as we can.
Others (as shown in this thread) have gone Insane & are trying to commit Seppuku with a rusty sword. Thats how bad some of the ideas in this thread & the thread OP are.

Its amazing all this "doom and gloom" would seem to be coming from one side of the coin.

If you do a wipe, you quite possibly kill the game, It's beginning to seem that would be what people would want.

Most are looking at the massive amounts of nic, minerals, and basically anything else you want to say, as a general bad thing.

However who is going to start putting items up on the markets when things turn around?  Personally I have billion's of items just waiting for the right moment to place them on the market.  Will I make a profit, sure.  Will I provide a service, yep.  I know I'm not alone on this either. 

The base is there, the player base that is, we can see that by who is playing in-game now, and who continues to post on these forums, screaming "the game is dead the game is dead", as well as those who chose to come back when needed.

Is the game in trouble sure, dead, far from it.

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … instances/

This is just one step in the right direction.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13