Topic: Artifacting 101

Hello this is a guide to artifacting basic's. I will discuss what artifacting is, What items and EP you will need. As well as how to use the charges and how to find your locations from your artifact sans. Lastly what each scan type means and is it worth your time and effort to do.

What is artifacting. Artifacting is a in game way of finding unique items, unique gear and resources. Artifacting once learned is profitable and fun. I would suggest using a indy bot to artifacting but in truth, any robot can, but will not get scanner bonuses.

Well I want to try artifacting what do I need?
Well first thing you need is a indy robot. The basic Argano has a nice scanning bonus and is not hard to get into. You would need 1 in industrial robot control and 1 in basic robotics. Then you would need a Geoscanner.
Each tech lvl of Geoscanner increases the amount you geoscan and effectiveness. To use a geoscanner you need o points into anything BUT to get the most from geoscanning you would put EP points into Basic geochemistry. You will also need at least 4 into basic geochemistry and 2 into data processing to use artifact charges. I would suggest going to 5 on basic geochemistry. 
Next you need artifact scan charges. The requirements for the charges is posted above. The charges themselves come in 3 varieties. The first is R-10 artifact charge. It has a radius of 1000 meters. Then R-30 has a radius of 3000 meters. And last is R-50 and has a radius of 5000 meters.

What if I want a bigger robot? Can I use it or can I use a non Indy bot?
The answer to both is yes. But each change, without a bonus, requires more put into basic geoscanning.

How do I use the charges and how does it tell me where to hunt at?
You equip the charges into your geoscanner and you then active the geoscanner. ( you want to start with the R-50 first for longer range)
Now you more then likely will have a number as well as a description. If you receive no numbers from your scan just move 1000 meters in any direction and try again.
Ok I have a scan results what do I do and what does this mean?
First you need to pick a scan to follow. I always try and do the one closest to my location.
Closest? How do I know if it closest to me?
Well when you used a R-50 it gives you 3 scan results with in a 5k meters location. So any number under 5k is closer to you.
Ok I found the closest to me. How do I find the location based off this number?
Ok I high light that location in my geoscan results. I then target the ground under my feet. I then move 100 meters in any direction north, south, east or west. I then scan again. If the number declines 100 meters then I continue on that path. If the number goes down 100 I go the other way. If it goes up 50 or less I go in a angle any direction and try again. Till I find the path that makes the numbers go down the fastest.
Ok I understand that but what are all these different types of scans?
Ok there are different results, they are as following. Infiltration, Scientific research, Crash sight, and Observer. Each has a color with it including Indy. So a Blue type would give blue type rewards, and a Indy would give a Indy type reward.
I heard that some of the scans can spawn monsters. Which ones do that?
Infiltration and Observers both spawn hostiles and a box to loot. I would suggest avoiding the Observer scans till you learn more about them. I will discuss how to get around Observers in Artifacting 201. Infiltrators can be spawned but you must loot the can and run away fast. Hit V to open the can and G to loot it.
Ok Thanks for the info but how do I find the locations?
Ok you have a scan and your following it. Once u get with in 3k meters of the object you can switch to R-30 charges. Keep scanning till you get with in 500 meters of the object and change to R-10 charges. Keep following the scan till you get close ( with in 100 meters) and start narrowing down the location, till a crate spawns. You now loot the crate.
Congrats you have found your first artifact loot.
Wait I found it could anyone else find my artifacts?
Nope all artifact scans are set to you. There can be 50 people artifacting in one area and they would not see your results.
How many artifact charges would I need?
I carry at least 100 of the 50's and 75 of the 30's and 10's. If you use a large robot you can carry more.
So what scans are the best? and what does the lvl 1 2 and 3 mean on the scan?
Lvl 1 scans are the lowest and found only on alpha islands. Lvl 2 are found on all islands. And lvl 3 are found on beta and gamma islands.
So If i have a lvl 3 it will give me the best there is?
Not always. Lvl 2 can give some really nice stuff but lvl 1's give the least. Lvl 3 gives the best chance to find the most loot.
What items can I find artifact scanning? And where do I sell them to make NIC?
You can find MK2 ct's ( which make the MK2 robots/mechs) Cpu Coretex's. Which also make robots/mechs of both MK2 and normal. Kernals, which give u a larger knowledge base for prototyping or can be sold to players for NIC. Fragments which are used to make prototype items and robots/mechs. Resource of ore and plants. Noraglis incubators which can only be found through artifacting or buying from alpha terminals. And T1, T3- and T0 items. T3- give the same results as a T3 but require more resources of cpu, reactor and Accumulator. T0 you can not equip BUT they give the best over all items from recycling.
Players buy the CPU coretexs as well as the kernals and the MK2 ct's. Most are worth something, some are worth a ton of NIC. I will not go into how to sell or whom to sell as this is a post on how to artifact and why.
This covers the basic's of artifacting and how too. Thank you for reading my guide.

Re: Artifacting 101

Holy mother of text walls!

hence a guide.

4 (edited by Celebro 2013-03-26 21:24:53)

Read paragraph guide 101 first lol

RIP PERPETUUM

5 (edited by Alexander 2013-03-26 22:46:34)

Books to read:

• Paragraphing 101

• A Dummies Guide to Forum Tags

• How to Start a Sentence Without the Word "Ok" - Miniature Edition

Here's an example of how to write a guide. Be precise, don't over complicate things, include diagrams where possible. Remember people won't always be reading this guide in their first language.

A Beginner's Guide to Artifacts

This is a guide to artifacting basic's. In this guide we will discuss a number of topics covering:

• What artifacting hunting is

• What items and extensions you will need

• The mechanics of artifact hunting

• How to use the artifact hunting modules/charges

• A number of artifact hunting tactics

What is artifacting
Artifacting is a in game way of finding unique items, unique gear and resources. Artifacting once learned is profitable and fun. I would suggest using a indy bot to artifacting but in truth, any robot can, but will not get scanner bonuses.

If you would like some help turning this guide into something that is readable and educational let me know and I can put together a template. Also guides like this really belong on the wiki which can be formatted much more efficiently.

Did Perp forums just turn into Reddit!?

It is a guide. Not a work of art or a masters thesis. I could write the most detailed information and write up's and still get flamed.

formatting this needs.. good lord fuuu

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I've adapted the guide to an article here: http://sequer.nl/wiki/Artifact%20hunting . If someone can find a good spot on the official wiki, be my guest.