1 (edited by Purgatory 2013-03-10 23:44:25)

Topic: Why not make this game free to play with restrictions?

Step 1. Change to free to play model.

Step 2. Free to play accounts receive EP at a greatly reduced rate (10% rate of subscribed accounts) and is also capped at maximum of 100k ep, if you want to continue gaining EP, you must be subscribed. Subscribed accounts play the game in exactly the same way they can now.

Maybe there's a couple other restrictions you could place on free to play accounts that I haven't thought off, such as loot drops turned down and the ability to do research and production.

Surely this would only be a good thing for player numbers?

Re: Why not make this game free to play with restrictions?

moar alts!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

WTB purgatory bacck in game producing.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Nevah!

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Lol it's not enough ridiculous to see 3-4 followbots in pvp.

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Purgatory wrote:

Step 1. Change to free to play model.

Step 2. Free to play accounts receive EP at a greatly reduced rate (10% rate of subscribed accounts) and is also capped at maximum of 100k ep, if you want to continue gaining EP, you must be subscribed. Subscribed accounts play the game in exactly the same way they can now.

Maybe there's a couple other restrictions you could place on free to play accounts that I haven't thought off, such as loot drops turned down and the ability to do research and production.

Surely this would only be a good thing for player numbers?

Good try. You wont get black bots anyway.

I think can be happen. The DEVs need to do something after they dont get people. So the last thing what they use I think will be something this idea.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

F2p wont solve the low population problem.

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website

Not another F2P thread fuuu

RIP PERPETUUM

10 (edited by Purgatory 2013-03-12 18:20:23)

Since some people talk of this being abused by alts, here's some extra restrictions for F2P accounts

Unable to go to pvp enabled islands.

Unable to use haulers (unsure on this one).

F2P accounts would effectively be a never ending trial.

11 (edited by Annihilator 2013-03-12 21:39:49)

Purgatory wrote:

Since some people talk of this being abused by alts, here's some extra restrictions for F2P accounts

Unable to use haulers (unsure on this one).

F2P accounts would effectively be a never ending trial.

then restrict their chat channel access, the number of minerals per day they can mine, the number of npcs they can kill, and the loot they get.

the way this game is set up, there is no way the currrent DEV teamcould implement free2play in a meaningfull, non-destructive way.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Purgatory wrote:

If they can't Indy because it will ruin the market and they can't PVP, all trials can do is PVE?

Disabling access to PVP islands sort of defeats the purpose of trying to get more players into the game.

But, to be productive in this thread, even though I think F2P isn't a good idea;

With instancing available, you could give free accounts access to an arena instance, where they could PVP and maybe get them 'hooked' on it, but without any penalties. The 'real' PVP people will soon tire of PVP with no consequences, and will then subscribe so they can join the 'real' PVP on beta/gamma. And the players that don't leave the arena will keep it populated for those players that will eventually leave.

I'm sick of this free to play idea with the intention of getting more players and fixing this issue, but it won't work.

Having F2P 'outside of  the sandbox' does not make the game any better. We need players willing to sub and stay 'inside the sandbox'. No restrictions, no exceptions you pay the monthly sub and you play having access to everything. Giving free access with restrictions only attracts , 'Internet games should be free mentality types' or 'I don't have a job and a live in my mother's basement and I'm not allowed to use my parents Credit cards.' No, I don't want them anywhere near Perpetuum, and I'm sure the devs don't either, they want people like us that feed the hamsters.

RIP PERPETUUM

F2P, other then WOW, is currently the most succesful way to monitize online games.

The only issue with F2P with perp, is that games that were not designed with a F2P model out of the gate, are really difficult to convert succesfully. I'm looking at you SWtOR  -.-

Arga wrote:

F2P, other then WOW, is currently the most succesful way to monitize online games.

The only issue with F2P with perp, is that games that were not designed with a F2P model out of the gate, are really difficult to convert succesfully. I'm looking at you SWtOR  -.-

swtor was only another try to copy wow.. and even with their so expensive audio voices it was still just a copy... ok it was looking like star wars, but basicly thats all that was about star wars... i have to say that they deserved that they failed.

if ftp was the sure thing to get a lot ppl here and to stay then i would say get it on, even that i dont like it. but i dont think that will work.

There's a couple peeps around here living in a parallel reality where trillions of players are queueing up from Budapest to Sydney so they can play Perpetuum if only it goes F2P.

It took EVE 10 years to get to 500k+ subs, and thats with ample lucky breaks.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

It took EVE 10 years to get to 500k+ subs, and thats with ample lucky breaks.

..and loads of alts with the power of 2 deal wink

RIP PERPETUUM

Zortarg Calltar wrote:
Arga wrote:

swtor was only another try to copy wow.. and even with their so expensive audio voices it was still just a copy... ok it was looking like star wars, but basicly thats all that was about star wars... i have to say that they deserved that they failed.

if ftp was the sure thing to get a lot ppl here and to stay then i would say get it on, even that i dont like it. but i dont think that will work.

The reason SWtOR had to move to the F2P model and the issues they are experiencing as a F2P model, are seperate.

And I think we're in agreement, in that I'm saying unless a game is designed as F2P from the outset, trying to convert it to F2P is going to result in a stinky pile of poo; and I agree with Syn that just putting out a F2P banner isn't going to cause a Robot stampede.

I really hope perpetuum will grow in population any day. Whatever payment model we will have in the future.

GERMAN ROBOTECH INDUSTRIES
| high tech engineering since 2010 | Website