26 (edited by Inda 2015-11-13 10:13:55)

Re: New Player Experience.

Need to look at this again and again.

Just make Observers attack Alpha terminal time to time. Or something.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

27 (edited by Grendizer 2016-01-24 09:10:37)

Well I am a new player who just finished the starting tutorial and I can tell you my experience so far.

Pros:
+ seems to be a lot of depth
++ I like that it is a game for hardcore players and not casuals

Cons:
--- tiny GUI fonts (I am probably going to request a refund because of this... a real shame since its been brought up so many times)... note that I am near sighted and it still was straining my eyes.
- Disconnects... about 4 of them in 2 hours of actual playing time (im in the US). Makes me wonder if PvP is viable and if there is enough PvE to keep me interested.
- game crashed once (windows 7)... note I am CS major and a IT pro (15 years) so its not my computer lol.
- Couldnt figure out how to activate the container in the 1st quest... took about 10 minutes to figure out that I needed to target using tracking window (EQ reference lol) or I needed to turn on targets universally which put an arrow on everything. Very unintuitive... why is the click area on the container so small?
- Environment graphics reminded me of Morrowind (late 90's)... You can buy 3D models very cheap these days assuming your engine is streamlined well enough...

Thats it so far. But as some pointed out, the initial start is not very good for us newbies... ill stick around a few more days because I want an Eve alternative so hopefully this will keep me interested.

28 (edited by Aye Pod 2016-01-24 09:39:35)

Grendizer wrote:

Well I am a new player who just finished the starting tutorial and I can tell you my experience so far.

Pros:

Cons:
--- tiny GUI fonts (I am probably going to request a refund because of this... a real shame since its been brought up so many times)... note that I am near sighted and it still was straining my eyes.
- Disconnects... about 4 of them in 2 hours of actual playing time (im in the US). Makes me wonder if PvP is viable and if there is enough PvE to keep me interested.
- game crashed once (windows 7)... note I am CS major and a IT pro (15 years) so its not my computer lol.
- Couldnt figure out how to activate the container in the 1st quest... took about 10 minutes to figure out that I needed to target using tracking window (EQ reference lol) or I needed to turn on targets universally which put an arrow on everything. Very unintuitive... why is the click area on the container so small?
- Environment graphics reminded me of Morrowind (late 90's)... You can buy 3D models very cheap these days assuming your engine is streamlined well enough...

Thats it so far. But as some pointed out, the initial start is not very good for us newbies... ill stick around a few more days because I want an Eve alternative so hopefully this will keep me interested.

Probably your PC.

The game isnt polished nor updated but its what you make of it. Comparing it to EVE will leave you feeling as if youve made a mistake as this games budget is but a tiny fraction of EVEs. It still can provide you with countless hours of fun if you truly want it.

Can I has your EVE stuffs?

Grendizer wrote:

Pros:

Cons:

If your looking for a group of people to play with message me in game we can help out with questions and what not.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Aye Pod wrote:

Probably your PC.

The game isnt polished nor updated but its what you make of it. Comparing it to EVE will leave you feeling as if youve made a mistake as this games budget is but a tiny fraction of EVEs. It still can provide you with countless hours of fun if you truly want it.

Can I has your EVE stuffs?

Negative, it is not my PC. I did figure out that the disconnect issue only happens when I am in the terminal. I assume it boots me on purpose but its annoying. I am sitting there reading or looking at the market and I get booted. Can we extend the timer on this?

So I have been playing a few days now and here is are my current observations:

1 - The starting reward of 40k EP for new players was in the form of a gift that you had to click on. But I never figured this out. There are several issues to this. #1 the tiny text... at the end of the tutorial you are told you would get some rewards, but it is unclear what they are. The icons for the rewards are small and you cant really tell what they are. When you hover over it takes a while before text pops up telling you what they are. The 1st time I ran the tutorial I did know a description would pop up on hover... also, the gift is plopped in the background of the terminal screen... I had no idea this was a "gift box." I just looked like a background shape, almost like a logo. I had no idea I needed to click on it until people told me on the bug forum. These are all easy to fix and would help the newbie experience a lot. Again, the font size issue is a problem. Just look at the steam forums.. There is a complaint every 25 or so posts.

2 - Its desolate... in my near 4 days of play, I think i have seen a total of about 6 or 7 players in game and I ventured all the way out to public gamma (which I was not able to get into... due to faction issues... but its owned by a player faction so I have no idea what to do...). This is hard to fix without population, but it can be simulated somewhat. See #3 below.

3 - The economy seems dead. I am not sure if this is game wide but almost nothing has changed in the market the last 4 days among the stuff I was monitoring (stuff that newbies might need). The same orders are still up, no one is buying resources (like ore or liquid) and the only way to offload them seems to be to sell into existing orders. This is ok, but there is a problem. If I want to buy anything, its very expensive which explains why much of the stuff on sale has not moved in 4 days of me watching (resources especially) which is also why I tried to venture to public gamma only to be turned away.

Take a look at X2/3 (the best AI run econ simulators I have played to date); adding AI caravans and traders can help the game ambiance. Instead of infinite stuff available in the terminals (like ammo and low mechs), make the AI go out and earn it or allow players to sell the resources to the terminal. As the terminal build reserves, its price for said resource should decline and vice versa. As supply of ammo and light bots builds up, price should come down which would be very nice for us newbies who want to try out other faction bots early on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have a good game going here. I am enjoying it as much as Eve if not more since I dont need to worry about subscription fees. I hope to pop into PvP in the next week or so. It took about a day to get a good handle on ammo types and weaknesses of various bots. I just cant tell what they are by looking yet. I have to pull up the info to see what it is.

While it is more ingame politics the public gamma is as far I know to be intended to be open to people neutral to Ethos.

With market that is properly player run there is the issue that if it is not in anybody particular agents interest to provide for newbies people might not provide. There is a chance of having actual transport convoys with actual player-owned stuff but it seems I am paying too low fees for truckers to dliver my parcels with haste...

There is no timer for booting players. Except for 24-hour session limitation. So it's a connection issue.

Interesting idea about NPC activity.

Gekko wrote:

There is no timer for booting players. Except for 24-hour session limitation. So it's a connection issue.

Interesting idea about NPC activity.

If this is so, then there is definitely something wrong. Further, today while grouping with some folks my game froze during an encounter with about 10-12 other bots. It booted me out to login screen where i had to log in again to find that I my bot was destroyed. I have also had the game crash twice while just running around doing nothing or harvesting. Ill take a look around the bugs forum.

Rolafen Azec wrote:

While it is more ingame politics the public gamma is as far I know to be intended to be open to people neutral to Ethos.

With market that is properly player run there is the issue that if it is not in anybody particular agents interest to provide for newbies people might not provide. There is a chance of having actual transport convoys with actual player-owned stuff but it seems I am paying too low fees for truckers to dliver my parcels with haste...

I would have liked to do some these deliveries but like I said, its a waste if it is unclear whether or not I can get into a terminal after a long haul. My rep with ethos was about +9 when i went to public gamma and it just says that I do not have enough faction. I also cannot get into other terminals around my own home area like Nauwy Outpost in Hokkagaros where my faction is fairly high. So I really dont understand the problem. If someone can enlighten me about this issue I could do some of those deliveries.

34 (edited by Goffer 2016-01-29 08:22:32)

Grendizer wrote:

If this is so, then there is definitely something wrong. Further, today while grouping with some folks my game froze during an encounter with about 10-12 other bots. It booted me out to login screen where i had to log in again to find that I my bot was destroyed. I have also had the game crash twice while just running around doing nothing or harvesting. Ill take a look around the bugs forum.

This could also be an issue with your provider doing some traffic handling. As far as I know the game could be errornous be considerer Peer2Peer Network. Some provider handle this traffic special.

Grendizer wrote:

I would have liked to do some these deliveries but like I said, its a waste if it is unclear whether or not I can get into a terminal after a long haul. My rep with ethos was about +9 when i went to public gamma and it just says that I do not have enough faction. I also cannot get into other terminals around my own home area like Nauwy Outpost in Hokkagaros where my faction is fairly high. So I really dont understand the problem. If someone can enlighten me about this issue I could do some of those deliveries.

Your standing with all Player corp is  0 as long as you are member of a start corp. In a player corp it can be -10, -5, 0, +5 or +10 (see corporation management button => relaition => achieved reputation when you are member of player corp).
For beta bases you can see docking rights on map without even entering the island by checking on map if there is a sign next to base indication you are not allowed to enter (traffic sign => red filled circle with white bar inside)

And btw I'm sorry for the bad market situation. This is topic to other threads here, it would not be ideal in any case atm, but the removal of spark teleport and the NIC flood due to assignment gave market two severe hit.

Goffer wrote:

This could also be an issue with your provider doing some traffic handling. As far as I know the game could be errornous be considerer Peer2Peer Network. Some provider handle this traffic special.

Interesting theory, I have never heard of anything like this in the USA although Verizon and their allies definitely wanted to make it happen. But they were denied the last 2 times they tried and it caused a lot of commotion that even the president here got involved. It almost sounds like a breach of network neutrality rules. Unfortunately I have no way to test this and I dont know anyone working at Cox cable locally. Plus their tech support is less than worthless for anything aside from registering a modem mac address.

Goffer wrote:

Your standing with all Player corp is  0 as long as you are member of a start corp. In a player corp it can be -10, -5, 0, +5 or +10 (see corporation management button => relaition => achieved reputation when you are member of player corp).
For beta bases you can see docking rights on map without even entering the island by checking on map if there is a sign next to base indication you are not allowed to enter (traffic sign => red filled circle with white bar inside)

I have no standing because I have not joined any corps. This still does not answer my question. Is there way to get access to terminals aside from joining the corps? I keep hearing that they are supposed to available to us unincorporated players but so far this has proven to be false.

Grendizer wrote:
Goffer wrote:

Interesting theory, I have never heard of anything like this in the USA although Verizon and their allies definitely wanted to make it happen. But they were denied the last 2 times they tried and it caused a lot of commotion that even the president here got involved. It almost sounds like a breach of network neutrality rules. Unfortunately I have no way to test this and I dont know anyone working at Cox cable locally. Plus their tech support is less than worthless for anything aside from registering a modem mac address.

Goffer wrote:

I have no standing because I have not joined any corps. This still does not answer my question. Is there way to get access to terminals aside from joining the corps? I keep hearing that they are supposed to available to us unincorporated players but so far this has proven to be false.

All of the green island Norhoop is open. The rest of the game is locked down. Beta terminals of course are open on every island.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Grendizer wrote:

Try your draw distance, shadows and other such things on graphics. I have a  great comp but still turn that stuff down or I lag horribly. Decorational plants are also a killer imo.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

Grendizer - old player who wanted to troll the developers on behalf of a new player. I can guess who it is ....

...imho

Just @ Game

BadAss wrote:

Grendizer - old player who wanted to troll the developers on behalf of a new player. I can guess who it is ....

...imho

I've had him on team speak twice. If he's an old player we don't know him

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Grendizer wrote:

talk to player "Ville"
he raged about constant connection losses so much, that he even started a campaign, badmouthing the game and the DEVs on steam, enough to get him banned there -
and at the end, it was really his ISP's fault, although, as far as i remember, they had to replace some fibers/cables.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

41 (edited by Ville 2016-01-29 19:28:37)

Annihilator wrote:
Grendizer wrote:

talk to player "Ville"
he raged about constant connection losses so much, that he even started a campaign, badmouthing the game and the DEVs on steam, enough to get him banned there -
and at the end, it was really his ISP's fault, although, as far as i remember, they had to replace some fibers/cables.

Please get your lies straight.  The forum and steam campaign was against the terrible robot rebalance.  Furthermore my ISP problem was that I'm on DSL and my ISP sold me a package they could not provide "stable" to my modem.  So the issue arose with massive packet loss making Perpetuum unplayable.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

42 (edited by Grendizer 2016-01-30 01:28:51)

BadAss wrote:

...imho

I wouldnt call that a "humble" opinion. Anyway...

How is pointing out technical problems trolling? I wasnt putting down the devs. I have been in the IT field for since 2000... i was an admin for nearly 8 years and a programmer for about 4 years. I understand that these things happen much better than most. Usually it boils down to time and money and that is not always in the devs control. This does not mean it should not be pointed out. Also its very relevant to the topic "New player experience." Out of curiosity, how old are you Badass? (no I am not putting you down... I am just curious because it seems my brothers generation, which is 12 years younger than me, has a very different, or more accurately broader, definition of what trolling means).

BTW... i still dont know how to get into public gamma lol... do i have to be in their corp to enter? can i enter as neutral somehow?

Also... is there a way to move large amounts of ore aside from getting a larger bot? Can I haul a container or something?

"...how old are you Badass?"

Confirmed

Just @ Game

Grendizer wrote:

BTW... i still dont know how to get into public gamma lol... do i have to be in their corp to enter? can i enter as neutral somehow?

Also... is there a way to move large amounts of ore aside from getting a larger bot? Can I haul a container or something?

public gamma may be closed to public at this moment, i am not sure since i'm not in ethos but allied.

about your second question - your only way to do it is getting a bigger hauler bot. (Sequer -> Lithus -> Scarab)
and no, field container cannot be picked up.

I think we are telling the DEVs for years that hauling minerals is a pain in the a$$

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

You should be able to dock into Public Gamma, (If not I dont know why, it is allowed to everyone to dock in there. Should be.)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD