Topic: New Player Experience.

There is something most games have but perpetuum does not.  A sweet *** intro video, upon the first time the client is installed and activiated.  Now what would this intro video be for?  I would kind of like to see something similar to the video on the website, but I would like it more based in a Lore type setting.  where it shows each of the bots for the specific factions in play.

Intro 1 shows the Numiqol High Command in legions marching to a rally point (insert major structure) with a massive Numiqol design on the structure.  Then being ambushed by a group of Thelodica bots, a 1 to 2 minute cut scene of bots exploding things going and some scratchy radio fequency.  Then out a teleporter land the pelistal counter fleet.  But show the new players some of the larger robots in game and show them crushing their enemys.  Make it look bad ***. 

Then when the cut scene ends, you pick your robot class.  But a little more well rounded then what we have.  Introduce the robots strengths/weakness.  Added with a sub section that shows actually robots in their equipment screens.  With a dumbed down setting of like "range", "% damage increase of weapons", and "speed".  Now we are assuming these are fit bots and the values are assumed such as

Range
Thelodica (best) -> Pelistal (better) ->Numiqol(good)
Speed
Numiqol (best) -> Thelodica(better) -> Pelistal (good)
% damage increase
Numigol (best) -> Pelistal (better) -> Thelodica (good)

Special abilitys-> Numiqol(speed, damage), Thelodica (Range, tank), Pelistal (No LOS restrictions, low accum usage of weapons)

These are just examples not literal values.

Then once you get the bot and the  spark set there needs to be a prompt that is a set up GUI which shows the radar with impassable terrian and all the typical terrain windows already open sitting there waiting.  Then there needs to be an in terminal tutorial that shows how to use the market and how to sell and buy goods.

Which leads me to my last and final thing.  These missions need to be a little more involving, some of the missions Mancs did was good but new players need to continue working in the missions to have a goal for not just rep and money.  At certain rep levels missions need to actually grant the player something.  Like an assault bot or a Mech Or even access for spark teleports "free" to specific alpha terminals.  Also let the low level missions gain a better reward.  Like 1 token or 2.  Make things in the syndicate shop more accessible, like possibly adding some T2+.

The new players have to get hooked with some juice, and people have to feel like their in an environment were there is some action.  I know Anni has been saying this for a while but add some actually scripted conflict battles players can interact with. 

--------------Side Item!

A new feature in the game which could lead to some tokens or other types of things could be some Alpha Wars between factions.  At random intervals NPC of the superior faction spawn and run to a static group of NPCS that are guarding a reinforcement area, that is fueled by (whatever).  These superior faction NPCs attack the static NPC then attack the strucutre and attempt to kill it.  Players interact with this by killing the Attacking NPCs. But if a reinforced area is properly defended a few times in a row (kind of like Saps, would teach alpha players about Saps) there would be a island wide Aura like 1 or 2% bonus.  But if they were attacked and the things fall no auras and possibly a debuff is applied.(I dunno about negative aspects of a game function just an Idea.)  At the end of the Sap within the reinforcement a container could drop if the Sap was defended, with some goodies in it.  If not the structure could lose points.  Now there can be different phases like a destruction sap or a passive, or an active hack.  Regardless this would be a fun little mini game on alphas that couls create some sense of conflict.

I envision it similar to this:

ICS-A has a reinforced timer guarded with a static syndicate arbalest spawn which is friendly to players and non attackable.  A group of (red NPCS) Seths from the thelodica clan enter through a teleport and move to the sap location and attempt to take it.  The Arbalests engage the seths and possibly a group of remote repair termis arrive from the syndicate side to assist in the battle and repair  players.  Meanwhile the seths steamroll the arbalests take the sap and the station loses a certain percentage.  The attacks can scale in difficulty and maybe zone pop ups could war when a battle is taking place.

Actually after typing this I think that about which is a scripted event could be fun as hell and would add a little life to a static environment.

Anywho my two cents feel free to pop holes in it all day long.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: New Player Experience.

good intros take time, and cost tons of money.
for example, the Firefall cinematic trailer was around 800k $, a single out-of-house gameplay trailer 50k $.

aside of that... nice idea wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

A good intro takes 25 players the guiding hand of a Development Team and some Free gearz!

Almost everyone have a mic and fraps, what's the problem? Just do it, Ville.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

and ville has probably the most active player at hand to do it.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Ville wrote:

I envision it similar to this:

ICS-A has a reinforced timer guarded with a static syndicate arbalest spawn which is friendly to players and non attackable.  A group of (red NPCS) Seths from the thelodica clan enter through a teleport and move to the sap location and attempt to take it.  The Arbalests engage the seths and possibly a group of remote repair termis arrive from the syndicate side to assist in the battle and repair  players.  Meanwhile the seths steamroll the arbalests take the sap and the station loses a certain percentage.  The attacks can scale in difficulty and maybe zone pop ups could war when a battle is taking place.

This idea can help Perpetuum. I also thoght this out and I have a big plan for this things, ( I cant talk about this by english :S Sometimes I will try I talked to this idea to Alexadar at sometimes). Many many possibilities from this idea and not just that imagine many many action. I think the DEVs when talking about instances this shows up.

I think when they will implement this "feature" the PVE players will full the Perpetuum enviroment and everybody will happy.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

The game lacks humanity in it's design, it can't make new players feel invested in their characters. The tutorial is *** at best and needs a complete redesign. The flow of the game needs a complete redesign, new players have absolutely no chances of forming new corporations and competing with vets anymore. I won't bother to mention broken game mechanics.

Solving this is a long and hard road that must be undertaken regardless.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

The game lacks humanity in it's design, it can't make new players feel invested in their characters. .

Please Enlighten me with a few examples of more involving  human design in a robotic life form game. I fail to come up with any ideas that fits with the horrid initial lore of this game. If anything a complete rewrite of this 'viral spark thing' infecting aliens does not ignite my imagination. 2 years has gone by and earth is still waiting for some energy...

RIP PERPETUUM

9 (edited by Inda 2013-03-13 09:59:30)

I try to explain my idea.

I will tell you a story beacuse it is more understandable that way.

1. Step:
The DEVs stand up a teleport and a reactor to Attalica. There will be defenders by NPC-s. The players task is they need to turn off the reactor. When they win the battle against Thelodicas they can turn off the teleport. Maybe need 10-20 cycle so dont stop the reactor the 1st time when the players can do this.
Until the reactor is work the Thelodica reincforement will come to defend. When the reactor is turned off they cant come anymore.

2. Step:
The players cant use the teleport until they dont charge up the reactor. So they can charge by energy storage cells or anything they got NIC from Syndicate to do this. (And acchievment when they reach 1000.)
When the reactor is work the players can teleport to the other Island. Whick will be totally new.

And the game will go on again and agin.

2 picture I made for more understanding and some more info.
http://kepfeltoltes.hu/130313/Angol_k_p … es.hu_.png

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/130313/_j_sziget … es.hu_.png

I have more details if anybody interest I will tell.
Such this:
is the beginning for bulding up a Energy Transferer to Earth. So the corporations has incentiveness to build this Transferer.

I am hardly believe this idea. This can help Perpetuum PVE part of. And the players will love this I bet.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

10 (edited by Gharl Incognito 2013-03-13 10:02:56)

Player built intersteller energy transfer stations: you build one and the Alpha Islands become Beta Islands for you.

Also increase the animosity between the core factions: why do we have happy friendly love in atitudes? There's no World Trade Organization or soft power on Nia... bring on the warzone!

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

Inda wrote:

1. Step:
The DEVs stand up a teleport and a reactor to Attalica. There will be defenders by NPC-s. The players task is they need to turn off the reactor. When they win the battle against Thelodicas they can turn off the teleport. Maybe need 10-20 cycle so dont stop the reactor the 1st time when the players can do this.
Until the reactor is work the Thelodica reincforement will come to defend. When the reactor is turned off they cant come anymore.

2. Step:
The players cant use the teleport until they dont charge up the reactor. So they can charge by energy storage cells or anything they got NIC from Syndicate to do this. (And acchievment when they reach 1000.)
When the reactor is work the players can teleport to the other Island. Whick will be totally new.

Such this:
is the beginning for bulding up a Energy Transferer to Earth. So the corporations has incentiveness to build this Transferer.

I am hardly believe this idea. This can help Perpetuum PVE part of. And the players will love this I bet.

this would be fun +1

+1 for Indas idea.
I always liked at Anarchy Online when the Devs started an alien invasion in a city, that forced all around to work together in order to survive.

I see some practical limits when trying to copy that 1:1 due to sandbox limits and question of balancing, but the idea of having player to force some cowork on alpha would help not only PvE but also MMO experience.

How is your survival threatened if you can just dock & spark somewhere else until the annoying useless NPC's are gone? smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Perpetuum has really narrow niche for players, we just got the finest nad hardcore players who can thinking like a machine and figure out what he need to do and what he should and find their incentiveness. (Smartest people here.)

The global playerbase ~80 % of CASUAL, and Perpetuum suit for 10 % of players (or even less).

This is the whole problem we have. Yes I understand the DEV s focused first time to the 10 % but after 2 year is clear we never got much more players with this thinking. I am ok if we dont want but why dont want? The game with desing is itself good. So let play the casuals also.

So if the DEVs dont decide that we wont get any new players in long term (We are always at 100 active players dont matter the mass of terrain dont matter what they implement, alway decreased the palyerbase to ~100 acvite players). They are FOCUS right now to PVE part. I hope they check my idea here and thinking of it. Not soo hard to implement and we wil got LORE and fun at Alfa. Then we will got ALfa players who will go out Gamma in a right time. As far we dont do something like this never get the new players. They can come with STEAM but they will leave after 2 month. I no doubt, I saw many players leave the game. And will be happen again.

I thinking this after I dont understand the gamers who left Perpetuum because I love soo much this game. This suit of my lifestyle ,this suit of my brain. So I dont really understand why dont everybody play Perpetuum.

And even Perpetuum is hard to me because need many many real time to do something special what incentivese to me.
---------------------------------------
TLDR: Make Perpetuum CASUAL friendly in 1 aspect of the game at Alfa and let hardcore players fight at Beta and Gamma. 2 in 1 game.

Energy to Earth!

Inda +1

Nice Post Inda.

I am still support this idea.

DEVs any problem to do this any idea, any thoguhts sometimes can happen? I would hear your woice here.

Energy to Earth!

18 (edited by Inda 2014-09-02 10:50:17)

An Idea (9th post) what I would like to happen in PVE rewamp, or later.

+ MOBA, CS type modes of Perpetuum, which mainly separate from the server, but still you can play there.

Invite the "casuals" play Perpetuum, the "hardcores" already played !

Energy to Earth!

Bump.

Just think.  Rather than a 3 hour long tutorial...they could have hired someone who speaks English, make a series of youtube videos to be played in game under a help section....and not wasted years developing a crazy long tutorial that people will only experience once, and for a few hours.

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Stranger Danger wrote:

Just think.  Rather than a 3 hour long tutorial...they could have hired someone who speaks English, make a series of youtube videos to be played in game under a help section....and not wasted years developing a crazy long tutorial that people will only experience once, and for a few hours.

you have to see the positives about it.
While making that tutorial, the DEVs implemented mechanics that can be re-used later for the PvE revamp*.
They also learned how to make themepark, hand-holding mission chains, which they will also use for the upcomming Mission revamp.
I suppose, new players are also better introduced into the background story of the game and now know better what the ultimate goal in perp is.

(sorry, this post probably contains lots of irony)

*: Inda, its a "v" that you spell like a "w";)

Inda wrote:

1. Step:

2. Step:

Such this:

Still VALID! PVE 3.0

Energy to Earth!

If the offload the tutorial to the client side, you could make some cool cinematic effects during a more interactive style of tutorial causing a stronger interest from the start. When done show a cinematic of the players character taking the controls on the Earth side, then zips into atmo through the micro wormhole and ends with them landing in an arkhe outside of the station they chose from the tutorial exit.

Another interesting thing that could make combat more interesting is a camera manipulation that makes ones death more entertaining. Can matrix style the last shot and slow motion the explosion (all done on the client side allowing for the server a second to catch up to the client on re spawning in station).

World events are something that would be freaking awesome as well, but there needs to be an incentive to do them as opposed to someone just sparking out to avoid the annoying rats. Say X island becomes a warzone with the NPC's as discussed in earlier posts (This fits lore as the NPC's started resisting the virus!) but since it will be an issue for all 3 factions, the reward has to be universal. Enter stage right, A NEW USE FOR THE UNIVERSAL TOKENS THAT ALREADY EXIST! Give universal tokens as the reward, the tokens description fits the use as well so no editing needed to the item itself. Also add some rare gear to the token market, say for normal token markets T2+ gear, nothing terribly special, but open a universal token market that only the universal tokens work at, and say put T4+ gear in there? This will cause more interesting things to happen, and something the PvE people would get into and possibly get them more interested in coordinated combat. (Can you see a gateway drug to PvP here?)

Another interesting idea, make the clicky things in missions more interactive as well. Make some mini game puzzles that pop up in order to "hack" or "access" the spots, this can even carry over to Beta SAPs. Can you imagine, you go to an active hack, use the module, and have to do a puzzle with in time in order to succeed? This causes more then one person to have to be there as the hacker needs protected due to his UI having a puzzle up.

@DEV ZOOM DIRECTLY : College Students, they have been a great resource for us and interns are awesome, make use of them as well. Find some Visual Communications Majors who need to build a portfolio, they often will work for free to a) Get a good reference for future work, and b) have something in their portfolio that is easily found (Hint hint this is where your game being on STEAM can be a good convincing tool for free work!). These students FOCUS on media creation, modeling, design, and all those wonderful things YOU NEED HELP ON TO KEEP INTEREST!

[Oh schnap the Ambe busted out the bold. Gettin' srs]

Amano Terijima wrote:

@DEV ZOOM DIRECTLY : College Students, they have been a great resource for us and interns are awesome, make use of them as well. Find some Visual Communications Majors who need to build a portfolio, they often will work for free to a) Get a good reference for future work, and b) have something in their portfolio that is easily found (Hint hint this is where your game being on STEAM can be a good convincing tool for free work!). These students FOCUS on media creation, modeling, design, and all those wonderful things YOU NEED HELP ON TO KEEP INTEREST!

This is a good idea!

Energy to Earth!

We've said that already,three times actually.  I'm banned or I'd find all three

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.