Topic: Robot Control - fix it for teh noobs

So there's one great elephant in the room called Robot Control extensions, and a bunch of noobs about to join the game that they'll have no clue about.

It takes 46 DAYS to train Basic Robotics from 0 - 10
It takes 67 DAYS to train Advanced Robotics from 0-10

So here are two solutions to make the noobs more competitive without having to subscribe 2-3 accounts for 6 months:

a) Option A - Rework the EP formula

This solution takes into consideration that having an extension at L8 is akin to having it at L4 in EVE. Keeping the roughly same cost of total EP to max out an extension, the formula should be reworked so it's easier for noobs to reach L8 (semi-competitive level).

b) Option B - Rework the Robot Controls

This solution takes the EVE approach of branching out the skill-tree. Essentially, toss Basic Robot Control and Advanced Robot Control out of the window. Then do the following:

Light Robot Control - affects bonus of all light bots
Assault Robot Control - affect bonus of all assault bots
Mech Robot Control - Guess what it affects?
Heavy Mech Robot Control - Guess again?

Now here's the crucial part:

Light Robot Control + Assault Robot Control = takes 46 DAYS to train both to 10.
Mech Robot Control + Heavy Mech Robot Control = takes 67 days to train both to 10.

What does it achieve?

It makes it easier for noobs to get competitive faster by specializing into certain classes of bots, and it spreads the EP load so vets still have the overall bonus (by being able to do more sort of stuff) but newbies won't be relegated to the aforementioned sub-then-wait period.

Why is this important?

1 vet can kill hundreds of noobs without breaking a sweat. This statement is easy for you Devs to verify, take a weekend and play your own game on brand new normal accounts (no EP tweaks, earn your own bots, etc), see for yourself what your game is like for new players. Then arrange a 1 vet vs whole devteam fight, see what happens.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Re: Robot Control - fix it for teh noobs

Syndic good post.

I would like add something to this tread.
I think here is another big problem.

basic RC 46 DAYS <> 67 advance RC

I just skipped the basic RC in the first glance, after I realized the EP consumption when I start the game.

Why? Beacuse of farming, I did this before releaze and after. So basically I didnt used well the light robots but I had this extensions for mech.

After I reached the good mech level train light.

SOLUTION?

Make mech robot control bit higher and light bit easier

30 : 90

I dont know the actual statement and what the neewbies feel like.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

nono, Syndic - the new player have to adjust to the game, not the game to the new player

learn2play!

subdividing the robot control extension alone will not improve the new player experience - since they will just continue to train into what is availiable to them first: mechs.

and: most noobs i have seen do run out with mechs + light weapons even though it means a loss in DPS compared to the assault - why? because the mech has more slots to fit the must-have modules, and has much more cargo and hitpoints and is accumulator-stable

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Option B sounds good at first look but then....then I just afraid that it will lead us to even more separation, like each specialized robot of each class could have his own extension etc.

And then, Anni is right - no matter of changes, newbies will level and run in heavier bots rather than lighter, because they are: stronger, have more hp/ap, slots etc, and most important - they are, you know, BIGGER.

Common newbie is unfamiliar with the game mechanics so hes trying to run in a light bot, crosses npc mech/hmech, dies, makes a conclusion that bigger=better AND HES WRONG but he will not know that until spent time and learned.

As a result, all you will get by changing current extensions - is hordes of vets in lvl10 lights/assaults as cheap zerg.

-1 unless anything else changed.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Though it does appear to be a better system that is still through the eyes of a vet player: that system would still require specilization and hence a knowledge of the games mechanics.  It may not actually make a difference to layer progression in the end.

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

Just noticed:
1. wrong forum section. this is a balacing issue, not feature
2. basicly the same topic as the one i started over there where you wrote exactly the same.

while its true, that the robot bonus is a great factor on beeing competitive, its hardly scratching the reason why it is even necessary to have that extension as high as possible as soon as possible:

everything in this game is nerfed down so it doesn't become imbalanced when you use the highest tier availiable with the extensions maxed out on the bot with the bonus for it.
Since many of the factors are multiplying, some are even exponentially (tunings), you get the result we see:

1. everything resolves around T4 items.
    any Discussion you see ist about how to make it easier to access T4 (endgame) items.
    DEVs react - making it easier to research them...

2. extensions are worthless below lvl5,
    more then half of the equip availiable is worthless if not used on the right bot, or below T4, or both

3. New player leaving after a few weeks since they have reached "endgame" pretty fast:
    Sitting in a mech, doing the same thing over and over to be able to lose said mech in a few second lasting PvP fight.

most of the game consists of either walking, or waiting in a station, or waiting offline to accumulate said EP.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

This will shield all the noobs from Anni's mandatory doom and gloom post's.

I'm always a fan of making things harder to train, its far to easy as it is right now. 

Is this the first step?  Who Knows.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

This will shield all the noobs from Anni's mandatory doom and gloom post's.

I'm always a fan of making things harder to train, its far to easy as it is right now. 

Is this the first step?  Who Knows.

+1 Skilling your way up to a mech is too easy, Option A seems a good fix, no need to over complicate or follow Eve's path on this.  Merkle: Stop post pics of my GF pls tongue

RIP PERPETUUM

Good post. I'd also argue that 10 levels for each skill is too many but changing that would be a massive change to the game, requiring that all bonuses and training times be reworked. Option A would be a good move to close the gap between new and old players, while not reducing training time and keeping some advantage for vets.

I'm not sure skilling is too quick right now, its just there are only really two types of bots to skill for, lights and mechs, you can't make people wait forever to get in mechs, when as new players every bit of ep is important to them.

A] Times to learn should not be shortened.

B] This could work in the future of the game but as it stands right now, why would any new player spec in to light or assault when there so few options for lights and even less for assaults.

~ once there is 6 to 10 options in each one of these 4 robot classes i could see this working well for specialization.

~ the current system will / can work perfectly fine IF there are new robots introduced and their specializations / bonuses are done correctly.

Also just because it takes 46/67 days to train these skills to their highest level does not mean it will take a new player that long to be effective.

I don't think its correct to compare new player skills to a veteran player skills or capabilities. In any game the more experienced player will have an advantage over some one just coming to the game.

to close the new player gap to quickly by changing the way skills / EP is earned or lowering the requirements of specific skills is just watering down the game. (good for people who come and go form the game .. bad for those who have stuck it out the whole time with active subs)

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

11 (edited by Syndic 2013-02-28 02:50:45)

Bear in mind we're talking about two progression paths; the vertical and the horizontal. Currently only the vertical is worth discussing (light -> h.mech), the horizontal is non-existent. I've intentionally not talked about the horizontal because of the lack of Dev resources that could make it happen.

The two options I proposed retain the same EP amount required to achieve the same things, only dilluting it so newbies can get to where they wanna get (Steam noobs will want to buy ICE ofc and F2P).

Devs can balance the game around 200 vets with gifted accounts, or they can balance the game around thousands of newbies that might stick around after steam. We've already gone through two cycles of catering to vets, it didn't turn out well. Change gears and let the newbies have fun before they go play COD or some other *** instead.

CIR Complaint Form

Does anyone else get the feeling the only reason Syndic ever posts anything on the forums is to try and exploit something he proposes?

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

Does anyone else get the feeling the only reason Syndic ever posts anything on the forums is to try and exploit something he proposes?

My thought is they are looking for cheap combats with less ep investment big_smile

Option A: Every extension is 1-1-1-1-1-2-3-4-5-10. What makes you think that it's too hard to get on lvl8 atm?

Yeah I totally wanna try exploiting getting a game with more then 50-100 people gifting accounts and botting scripts like candy with the Devs unable to ban them cause then they'd have to shut the game down. lol

CIR Complaint Form

My point still stands however, make a bunch of new trial accounts, play legit for 2-3 days (no gifting bots, no gifting NIC, no gifting EP) and see how they fare against 1 vet player on 1 account.

Cause thats what all the noobs that come in with Steam are gonna face. Last time 1 gropho (not even a mk2) was enough to demolish a 30 noob roaming group that had the benefit of EVE background. You think Steam players will fare better before they say *** it and go buy COD #20? lol

CIR Complaint Form

16 (edited by Line 2013-02-28 09:45:14)

Syndic wrote:

My point still stands however, make a bunch of new trial accounts, play legit for 2-3 days (no gifting bots, no gifting NIC, no gifting EP) and see how they fare against 1 vet player on 1 account.

Cause thats what all the noobs that come in with Steam are gonna face. Last time 1 gropho (not even a mk2) was enough to demolish a 30 noob roaming group that had the benefit of EVE background. You think Steam players will fare better before they say *** it and go buy COD #20? lol

If so, they could go forums and post everything they find imba. You, asking for changes, is nothing more than a "vet with gifted accounts" asking for "balancing game around him" (cuz no newbies posted such ideas yet).

Your point is still not obvious. Group of newbies in lights/assaults leveled to 5s could buttsex your mofo leet vet Gropho, it's mostly the matter of skillz instead of extensionz.

Most of current vets have "light" skills at 5 so there is no difference and even no real need to level BRC higher than that, except light ewars.

I suppose, extensions should be point based, not percentage based. Plus dimishing return.

I'm proposing an option to streamline newbie progression. You got a better idea put it down, cause I got 2 years worth of microscopic active population versus ~27,000 created player-accounts saying the current system is bogus. All you got is "ME NO LIKE SYNDIC!".

CIR Complaint Form

It's not "ME NO LIKE SYNDIC", it's "ME NO LIKE SYNDIC'S IDEA". Atm you're trying to solve the problem which doesn't even exist - no newbies were complain about "oh it's so hard and long to get on lvl10 of BRC", because most of them want to be in Mechs/HMechs.

You want to make Assaults/Lights more attractive? Good, but what for? Why wouldn't you let them play as they want to? They are able to try one or another skill and then reset it if they don't like to. We could have paid respec aswell.
So what's the point of newbies in lights "bicaz it was izier tuh leval"?

20 (edited by Syndic 2013-02-28 12:49:23)

That is not an argument, that is a troll.

A problem doesn't become a problem only once enough people start complaining about it. What you think most of newbies want is irrelevant. I do not care if assaults or lights or heavy mechs are more attractive.

With option A; newbies will reach reasonably competitive levels faster.
With option B; newbies will have less trouble specializing into their favorite role/class of bot.

The overall problem is player retention. 27,428 accounts have been created to date, how many are currently online?

The modular approach to solving the problem is evident in the Devblogs; Industry 2.0 made it easier for newbies to produce, Research revamp will make it easier for newbies to get tech, the PvE revamps will make it easier for newbies to PVE.

What isn't being tackled is the elephant in the room, that being nobody in their right mind is going to pay the Devs 5-6 months of sub-time to get enough EP to be at a relatively competitive level with the existing ~150-200 active accounts. It needs to be streamlined, or population influx from Steam will tank just like the EVE exodus did.

CIR Complaint Form

Line wrote:

Your point is still not obvious. Group of newbies in lights/assaults leveled to 5s could buttsex your mofo leet vet Gropho, it's mostly the matter of skillz instead of extensionz.

hmm, somehow i feel tempted to fight your newbie assault in my gropho.
that would be vet playing noob account vs. PvP noob driving not perfectly maxed out gropho mk1.

but you mentioned the magical factor: "group" -> that the number factor again.

so, how does that scale?
5 noobs arbalests vs. 1 vet gropho
10 noob arbalests vs. 2 vet grophos
20 noob arbalests vs. 2 vet grophos with 1 followbot riveler ?

player numbers cannot be scaled mathematically -> both sides can vary in numbers, the vet side needs less to kill exponetial more noobs on the other team, simply because they start to kill them as fast as they can cycle/lock them.
And on open terrain, that starts at the lockingrange of the heavy mechs, long before the noob-assaults are in combat range.

you gave an example in that other topic how an arbalest could kill a heavy mech - ok, show me video footage where you farm mech&hmech npcs with lights and assaults only -> because PvE is the bigger factor in keeping steam noobs ingame.

and chaging the extension progression of the light bots wont help there a single bit. Syndic is right - DEVs do not have the manpower to add horizontal progression options, like the 20 more robots per faction that are necessary for that.  what they could do, is tweak the whole game to give those existing 6 bots a meaning for every single player. (same for the hundreds of modules that i mentioned before)

Shadowmine wrote:

Thank you for your valuable input in this feature discussion. I hope you have more wisdom you could share with us.

Syndic wrote:

The overall problem is player retention. 27,428 accounts have been created to date, how many are currently online?

Show me at least 1 of those 27,428 who left the game because of he wasn't able to level his BRC fast and easy to competitive level.

One does not simply become competitive because of his BRC, there is a lots of other extensions which are specializing you more.

Annihilator wrote:

and chaging the extension progression of the light bots wont help there a single bit. Syndic is right - DEVs do not have the manpower to add horizontal progression options, like the 20 more robots per faction that are necessary for that.  what they could do, is tweak the whole game to give those existing 6 bots a meaning for every single player. (same for the hundreds of modules that i mentioned before)

I prefer DEVs are spending their time and resources (which are small as you agreed) to develop other, more newbie-attractive things like Research 2.0 etc. instead of changing and balancing BRC.

Line you are not reasonable

25 (edited by Syndic 2013-02-28 14:43:59)

Your argument is still invalid because I am not talking about Basic Robotics, I am talking about the minimal 2-3 months of being subbed & unable to afford ICE, to achieve a highly specialized barely-adequate level of competence. Steam players are not going to pay 30-40$ for this game to put it on a shelf and come back in 3-4 months so they can start playing. That would be completely ludicrous to even discuss.

My option A cuts the time down considerably to achieve L8 levels of competence, option B at least allows newbies to specialize in half the time.

CIR Complaint Form