Topic: Serviced by

On examination of a module, it shows every person along with their corp tag who has repaired that module as well as original manufacturer. Would be amusing to see through which hands a module has gone through and it adds a bit of color to the world.

... I know, not gonna happen big_smile

Re: Serviced by

That would be cool.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

+1

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Stacking items would then erase its history though.

Jasdemi wrote:

I would have thought that each item in game has some kind of unique ID no matter what. How else would you be able to track say duped items?

just make sure the item history is bound to the ID till that item is destroyed.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

I would have thought that each item in game has some kind of unique ID no matter what. How else would you be able to track say duped items?

if that would be true, duping would be detected by a simple database scan for double IDs. yet, traces get lost when stacking and all the tracing was done manually.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

if that would be true, duping would be detected by a simple database scan for double IDs. yet, traces get lost when stacking and all the tracing was done manually.

I think you missed something Annihilator. Obi said Unique ID. Duped items would have their own unique ID. Just because the item was duped doesn't mean it would duplicate the data record.

Thats actually a cool idea. +1

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Jasdemi wrote:

No. Maybe? Hmm.

just in case -
if items in perpetuum would not lose their unique ID upon stacking - hey, there would be no reason to not beeing able to stack damaged stuff!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

back in the dizay, there was a game called Earth and Beyond, every player made item had ther persons name on it that made it

it was cute

I would even just like an item to show who manufactured it but even that is probably not possible with current database structure.

I thought of this once some time ago re tracking corp theft and thought - wow that would be cool. Then I put my sql/programmers head back and on and thought ... I hope no silly sod suggest that. That'd be a fookin' nightmare to implement.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

Then I put my sql/programmers head back and on and thought ... I hope no silly sod suggest that. That'd be a fookin' nightmare to implement.

I think it would be cool to work on.

Gremrod wrote:

I think it would be cool to work on.

yep, but the time should be spent working on the server structure instead. I wonder how the item database is handled. I know we got a central login/chat server, and gameworld is running as 1 task per island spread on a few servers through hungary.

Basically, you just add one field to items table that contains index of player. Then check if some item is unstacked/unpacked, and if it is, add new row into it's info.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Its not changing the data structure that I see as causing any problems that bit is easy but over time it will create VAST amounts of data in a number of joined tables that could potentially be simultaneously queried by hundreds of players. NPCs blowing up and creating new items as well as looting containers on the field and bots/modules being destroyed would also need to query these tables.

Managing all that and not creating lag would be the hard part.

Ludlow Bursar wrote:

Its not changing the data structure that I see as causing any problems that bit is easy but over time it will create VAST amounts of data in a number of joined tables that could potentially be simultaneously queried by hundreds of players. NPCs blowing up and creating new items as well as looting containers on the field and bots/modules being destroyed would also need to query these tables.

Managing all that and not creating lag would be the hard part.

Modules repaired can hardly be qualified as VAST. I can't see needing most of those queries you mention in anything but a naive implementation if their database structure allows it; the devs have failed to grow this thing it time but at least they know how to write some code wink

lets say, one item in database = 1 byte, status of it another byte:

500 damage modules in one of my folder = 1000 bytes (500x2 because of status)
1 stack of 500 repaired modules = 2 bytes (1x item, 1x status = stacked, 500 pcs)
1 stack of 500 damaged modules = 501 bytes (1x item, 1x status of each item in stack)

CIR storage somewhere in this gameworld:
several thousands of items = even more bytes

for each additional attribute you add to an item, the size of the data goes up almost exponentially. thats one of the reasons this game has fixed stats on stuff you build. With a target population around several thousands, the data storage would blow the availiable capacity at some point.

For starters you do not add attributes to the object, you create another table with an object id and a repairer id. Given the module drop rate it is easy to figure a limit. If ancient MMOs could do it I'm sure in 2013 we can spare a few bytes similarly to what ancient MMOs did. Anyway enough armchair deving, the devs are the ones who have the metrics.

+1 this is a great idea

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.